[comp.sys.3b1] Cleanup of /tmp

michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) (01/30/91)

I discovered that something is cleaning up /tmp without my knowledge.

It is not /etc/rc. I've been up 15 days.
It is not crontab, nor any cleanup deamons run from crontab.

Whatever it is wipes out the entire /tmp/*, without regard for
how recent the file is. This is rather unfriendly, and may cause
some programs to crash that assume that they can re-open a file
(such as a program that runs in two or three phases. Say a C compiler).

Does anyone know which program is doing this and how to stop it?
I suspect it is smgr, but a strings does not show '/tmp' in it.

		Michael
--
		Michael
michael@stb.info.com denwa!stb!michael anes.ucla.edu!stb!michael

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.171729.11768@stb.info.com> michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:

>I discovered that something is cleaning up /tmp without my knowledge.
>
>It is not /etc/rc. I've been up 15 days.
>It is not crontab, nor any cleanup deamons run from crontab.
>
>Whatever it is wipes out the entire /tmp/*, without regard for
>how recent the file is. This is rather unfriendly, and may cause
>some programs to crash that assume that they can re-open a file
>(such as a program that runs in two or three phases. Say a C compiler).
>
>Does anyone know which program is doing this and how to stop it?
>I suspect it is smgr, but a strings does not show '/tmp' in it.

It's /etc/.cleanup.  The offending line is rm -rf /tmp/*.  I have commented
it and my files no longer disappear.

>		Michael
>--
>		Michael
>michael@stb.info.com denwa!stb!michael anes.ucla.edu!stb!michael
>"Space is an illusion; disk space doubly so"

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

bilbo@bisco.kodak.COM (Charles Tryon) (01/31/91)

In <1991Jan30.152547.28108@shibaya.lonestar.org>, afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
> In article <1991Jan29.171729.11768@stb.info.com> michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:
> >
> >I discovered that something is cleaning up /tmp without my knowledge.
> >
> It's /etc/.cleanup.  The offending line is rm -rf /tmp/*.  I have commented
> it and my files no longer disappear.

When does this get called?  I like to have /tmp cleaned up when I reboot,
but not at some arbitrary interval.

> --
> Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org

--
Chuck Tryon
    <bilbo@bisco.kodak.com>

  "Swagger knows no upper bound, but the laws of physics remain unimpressed."
                                                            (D. Mocsny)

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (02/01/91)

> bilbo@bisco.kodak.COM (Charles Tryon) writes:
>> afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
>> > michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:
>> >
>> >I discovered that something is cleaning up /tmp without my knowledge.
>> >
>> It's /etc/.cleanup.  The offending line is rm -rf /tmp/*.  I have commented
>> it and my files no longer disappear.
>
>When does this get called?  I like to have /tmp cleaned up when I reboot,
>but not at some arbitrary interval.

It is definitely called on reboot.  This is the only place where I noticed it.
Back in the seagate drive days, I used to have (at least) a crash every few
days and regularly lost all files in /tmp.  If anybody knows of another
script or program that cleans up /tmp, please let us all know.