[comp.sys.3b1] GIF viewing

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/04/91)

Is it possible to view ".GIF" files on a 3b1?  If so, would someone
tell/show me how to do this?  I have someone that wants to send me
some GIF files to view, but don't know if I can do it or not! :)

Thanks!

--
--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

anthony@unix.cis.pitt.edu (M. Kapolka) (02/04/91)

In article <56@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>Is it possible to view ".GIF" files on a 3b1?  If so, would someone
>tell/show me how to do this?  I have someone that wants to send me
>some GIF files to view, but don't know if I can do it or not! :)

You can use PBMPLUS utilities (available from the cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
archive) to convert gif files to a bitmap, and then display them.  You'd
better be aware you are going to loose color and resolution - most gifs
are going to look terrible.  I have some which look pretty good (and are
in MGR format) however- my intention is to eventually get MGR to allow
a background screen or maybe write a screen saver which cycles through
the images, displaying them centered on the screen.  Has anybody already
looked into this sort of thing?

--
Anthony Kapolka					anthony@cs.pitt.edu