[comp.sys.3b1] Ethics: Software Sale Horror Story

dpb@liltyke.chi.il.us (Darryl P. Baker) (02/05/91)

I responded to a request for accounting software in this very newsgroup.
It seemed we found a perfect match, the accounting software I had growing
dust in my basement would be useful to someone else. First over the course
of several weeks we negotiated over price. We finally settled on a price
$100 + shipping. What we couldn't settle on was who would send what to whom
first. C.O.D was a choice but expensive. I thought I would take a risk, I'd
send the software and wait for payment or the return of the software. What
I got was nothing. Finally after many email letters I recieved:

#> First of all, my machine has been *down* (again...) for quite a while... I
#> accidentally did something to it (it's a long, and rather embarrassing story)
#> and had to restore a lot of stuff... just got it up today...
#>
#> SECONDLY... this was rather weird.  I couldn't figure out who the hell would
#> send me accounting software... I searched the packages high and low and
#> found no letter or anything.  My tactic was going to be to write to the
Yes there was a letter 8 1/2 x 11 letter with price and mailing info but
these can be missed in unpacking. No big deal.
#> return address and ASK who you were...  I was rather surprised to get a
#> series of letters today describing what was actually happening.
#>
#> NOW:  rather than have you get nasty about things, which you can at your
#> expense... I would like to have you know that I NEVER *EVER* E V E R asked
#> you to send this stuff to me.  You did on YOUR OWN ACCORD.  Why I don't know.
#> I appreciate it and all that, and you happen to be very *VERY* lucky that I
#> am an honest person.  My original intentions were to find out what you had
#> and some way to evaluate it (obviously this was the best as I got to look at
#> it myself), and decide from there.  The unfortunate part of this deal is that
#> you never consulted with me before sending this... had you taken that measure,
#> this would not have occurred.
#>
#> As of late I have been laid off from work.  (Yes, the recession is hitting
#> over here.) and now don't have a steady income so will not be able to
#> afford just sending out 100.00 + here and there.
#>
#> I will say this:  out of ignorance and curiosity, I *did* open the software
#> packages and had a look at it all... I don't know how that will affect the
#> actual physical condition of them or whatever to you.  And I don't know how
#> you want to handle this whole thing.  I for one am not going to damage
#> anything, etc etc... and am taking good care of it.  I would like to read
#> the stuff anyways... it would be nice to see what makes it tick...
#>
#> Well, anyhow... you can relax.  The delay was an honest delay, and I urge
#> you to relax and calm your jets.  Let me know how you want to handle this
#> situation and I will do my very best to comply.

Well after that I just asked the software be returned.  I've been laid
off.  I can relate.  I think I wouldn't even cared if it, at the time,
arrived postage due but well, still nothing.  The email was bounced and
well I gave up.

Just resently this person has reappeared on the net.  I tried email and
it was quite crudely bounced by someone the site, trying to make it look
like the person didn't exist on that machine.  Very strange using the
"bang" path in the signature.

Now before I do my best to make sure everyone knows who this person is
and what kind of person they will be dealing with.  Am I justified?
Other than posting their name any other suggestions?
--

From: dpb@liltyke.chi.il.us (Darryl P. Baker)
Newsgroups: unix-pc.general
Subject: Ethics: Software Sale Horror Story