[comp.sys.3b1] ctccpio

jeffrey@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Jeffrey A. Thompson) (02/03/91)

I would like to back up some of our 3b2s over the network. I checked the man
page on ctccpio(1M) and find out that I must use -T /dev/.... But I want to
back up over the network. I would like to do something like:

remsh sys find / -print | ctccpio -ov | remsh localsys dd of=/dev/rSA/ctape1

But, ctccpio absolutely requires -T /dev/... Should I just use cpio(1) and
not worry about it or what?

--Jeffrey Thompson
jeffrey@rigel.econ.uga.edu

In article <1991Feb3.000726.5423@rigel.econ.uga.edu> jeffrey@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Jeffrey A. Thompson) writes:
>I would like to back up some of our 3b2s over the network. I checked the man
>page on ctccpio(1M) and find out that I must use -T /dev/.... But I want to
>back up over the network. I would like to do something like:

>remsh sys find / -print | ctccpio -ov | remsh localsys dd of=/dev/rSA/ctape1

>But, ctccpio absolutely requires -T /dev/... Should I just use cpio(1) and
>not worry about it or what?

The only thing unusual about ctccpio is that it knows how to turn on
streaming mode on the 23 Meg 3B2 tape drives (which is indeed unusual),
and it appears to act like cpio with the -c option otherwise.

You might want to round up a copy of "afio", a cpio work-alike that was
posted a few years ago.  It can simulate the remsh pipeline internally
(well, you may have to tweak the source to get remsh instead of rsh),
AND, it also knows how to stream the 3B2 tapes if you are unfortunate
enough to have to use them as your destination.  Again, you have to
browse through the source for this function (and the undocumented
-I and -O options that make the remote pipeline work are neat as well).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us