[comp.sys.3b1] ALERT! Please read this message!

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (02/07/91)

Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
unix-pc.sources anymore.  A large number of sites have either already
deleted unix-pc.sources in favor of comp.sources.3b1 or they have aliased
the old group to the new group and are enforcing the aliasing.  Once the
newsgroup name has been changed to comp.sources.3b1 they recognize it as
being moderated and promptly mail the article to me.  I just received 40
copies of a message the Kris Kugel posted.

PLEASE stop!  The mail is killing my system!

I have just now (2/6/91 10pm) finished setting up the software to control
the postings and generating an 'Introduction to c.s.3b1' message.  I will
begin posting the articles that I have received so far (including only 1
copy of Kris's article) right after I finish posting this message.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.newport.ri.us; Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com

dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) (02/08/91)

In article <1201@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
>Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
>unix-pc.sources anymore.  A large number of sites have either already
>deleted unix-pc.sources in favor of comp.sources.3b1 or they have aliased
>the old group to the new group and are enforcing the aliasing.  Once the
>newsgroup name has been changed to comp.sources.3b1 they recognize it as
>being moderated and promptly mail the article to me.  I just received 40
>copies of a message the Kris Kugel posted.
>
>PLEASE stop!  The mail is killing my system!

I don't want anyone's system to die!... but we still haven't gotten
the newsgroups, comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, yet.  Articles
addressed to these groups _are_ showing up in junk.  Any suggestions
out there?  Does the rest of the world now have these groups?

--
name & address   (this account) -> dwn@swbatl.sbc.com
David Neill       office -> 405-291-1990 -> ..texbell!oktext!mktco

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (02/08/91)

In <1201@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US
	(David H. Brierley) writes:

> Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
> unix-pc.sources anymore...

[ detailed description of problems & reasons for said problems deleted ]

Well, when I voted in favor of the creation of these new newsgroups, it was
with the understanding that the old ones would be around for a transition
period of a few months, to let us do the changeover gracefully.  If we're
having these kinds of problems, there's a bug in the design or implemen-
tation, as I see it.

Can someone propose a solution to the problem cited by David that avoids
us abandoning the unix-pc.* newsgroups until we're ready?

--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.232659.1850@swbatl.sbc.com> dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) writes:

>I don't want anyone's system to die!... but we still haven't gotten
>the newsgroups, comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, yet.  Articles
>addressed to these groups _are_ showing up in junk.  Any suggestions
>out there?  Does the rest of the world now have these groups?

Yes, most of the world does have these groups. The fact that you are
seeing the articles in your "junk" group indicates that all that needs
to be done is to have your local administrator create the groups.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning

In article <982@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <1201@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US
>	(David H. Brierley) writes:
>
>> Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
>> unix-pc.sources anymore...
>
>[ detailed description of problems & reasons for said problems deleted ]
>
> ... If we're having these kinds of problems, there's a bug in the design
> or implementation, as I see it.

Yes, you're right. The unanticipated problem is caused by the aliasing of
an unmoderated group (unix-pc.sources) to a moderated group (comp.sources.3b1).

>Can someone propose a solution to the problem cited by David that avoids
>us abandoning the unix-pc.* newsgroups until we're ready?

One solution would be to change unix-pc.sources to be a moderated group. This
is probably not worth the effort, considering the short lifetime remaining
for the unix-pc groups.

The other option I can see is to change the aliases so that postings to
the old unix-pc.sources go to comp.sys.3b1 rather than comp.sources.3b1.
While this is not a perfect solution, it does eliminate the problem
of the multiple files being sent to dave@galaxia. There probably aren't
going to be too many more postings to unix-pc.sources anyway, and if there
are some, they won't add much to the volume of comp.sys.3b1. This will only
be necessary for the duration of the transition period. I suspect that
Dave would rather scan comp.sys.3b1 for the occasional source posting than
receive 50 copies of them via email.

While we're at it, we can all change our unix-pc.test alias to point to
misc.test, rather than comp.sys.3b1.

So, to summarize, please update your unix-pc aliases as follows:

unix-pc.general		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.uucp		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.bugs		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.sources		comp.sys.3b1    (was comp.sources.3b1)
unix-pc.test		misc.test	(was comp.sys.3b1)

--

ires@kaspar.UUCP (Bruce R. Larson) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.232659.1850@swbatl.sbc.com> dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) writes:
>In article <1201@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
>>Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles
>>to unix-pc.sources anymore...
>>Once the newsgroup name has been changed to comp.sources.3b1 they
>>recognize it as being moderated and promptly mail the article to me...
>
>I don't want anyone's system to die!... but we still haven't gotten
>the newsgroups, comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, yet.
>Does the rest of the world now have these groups?

I've been getting the new groups from the very start.  In fact, I read
about the vote succeeding from inside of comp.sys.3b1.

I am willing to provide a comp.*.3b1 feed to a few people in the Boston
area.  They will have to be local since I'll be originating the call.
At some time during the next two or three months I'll be getting
another phone line which will be dedicated to receive incoming data
calls.  I can provide dial-up feeds to more people at that time.

My mail exchanger has been in a state of flux since last August, so some
alternative addresses are provided below.

Bruce

Bruce R. Larson
Integral Resources, Milton MA
/* Temporary address change below */
Uucp: ..!uunet!world.std.com!kaspar.uucp!blarson
Internet:     blarson@cs.umb.edu

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb7.232659.1850@swbatl.sbc.com> dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) writes:

>I don't want anyone's system to die!... but we still haven't gotten
>the newsgroups, comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, yet.  Articles
>addressed to these groups _are_ showing up in junk.  Any suggestions
>out there?  Does the rest of the world now have these groups?

If you are seeing articles in the junk directory which were intended for the
new 3b1 groups then you are receiving the groups but your news administrator
has not issued a newgroup command and has also not allowed the global newgroup
command to be honored.  Contact your news administrator and ask that the
groups comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1 be created.  Make sure you specify
that the sources group should be marked moderated.  If your news administrator
is not sure how to create the groups locally, or if you are the news
administrator and are not sure, feel free to send me mail and I will explain
how to do it.
--

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb7.232659.1850@swbatl.sbc.com>, dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) writes:
> In article <1201@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
> >Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
> >unix-pc.sources anymore.  A large number of sites have either already
> >deleted unix-pc.sources in favor of comp.sources.3b1

Maybe I have a different problem.  I have not received a single posting
to comp.sources.3b1.  I installed both comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1
on Jan 28.  comp.sys.3b1 is working as expected, but I've no entries in
either unix-pc.sources or comp.sources.3b1 since that date.

Have I missed interesting/useful postings?

Note, I am a few days down stream, but not two weeks!

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon