[comp.sys.3b1] Device Driver Docs

pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (02/08/91)

Well, I had planned on scanning the device driver docs using some
OCR software but apparently, there is no need for this according
to the last posting from Kris Kugel. (kak@hico2.westmark.com)
He and another apparently have typed it in by now. I had asked for
requests as to how the community would like it formatted and so
that information doesn't go to waste, here are the results:

	Format		Number of Votes

	troff	ms		8
	troff	mm		1
	tex			1
	latex			0

It was generally prefered that they not be just obtainable in postscript
form but instead that some form of source was distributed.

If anyone has any other ideas for 3b1 documents for me to scan, I'm willing
to take other suggestions.

Tom Pusateri
Duke University
pusateri@nbsr.duke.edu

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (02/11/91)

In article <665946584@macbeth.cs.duke.edu> pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>I had asked for
>requests as to how the community would like it formatted and so
>that information doesn't go to waste, here are the results:

>	Format		Number of Votes

>	troff	ms		8
>	troff	mm		1
>	tex			1
>	latex			0

Bizarre.  3b1's don't come with -ms.  At least in 3.5.1.4 it didn't.
Did -ms appear later?
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

alex@umbc4.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) (02/12/91)

In article <1324@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Bizarre.  3b1's don't come with -ms.  At least in 3.5.1.4 it didn't.
>Did -ms appear later?

	The ms macros are public domain. You can snarf them from the
freed BSD sources on uunet (pub/bsd-sources/something).

#################################		           :alex.
#Disclaimer: Anyone who agrees  #                 Systems Programmer
#with me deserves what they get.#    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#################################	    alex@umbc3.umbc.edu

pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (02/12/91)

In article <1324@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:

>>	Format		Number of Votes
>
>>	troff	ms		8
>>	troff	mm		1
>>	tex			1
>>	latex			0
>
>Bizarre.  3b1's don't come with -ms.  At least in 3.5.1.4 it didn't.
>Did -ms appear later?
>--

Well unfortunately, the 3b1 doesn't come with any troff macro sets. It only
came with nroff man macros and nroff mm macros. I think most people
suggested troff ms macros because it was easy to get a hold of. Any BSD
derived system comes with them and the FSF's groff also now includes
ms macros. They may be freely obtainable from uunet, I can't remember
where I saw them. On the other hand, unless you already have another AT&T
system with mmt then getting mm macros would either be expensive or illegal.

Tom Pusateri
Duke University

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (02/15/91)

In article <666296663@macbeth.cs.duke.edu>,
pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
> In article <1324@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
> >
> >>	Format		Number of Votes
> >
> >>	troff	ms		8
> >>	troff	mm		1
> >>	tex			1
> >>	latex			0

I never saw the original article for this.  I, along with Alan Lundin,
DID type the entire thing in recently, and we can make the text available.
There's still some tweaking on the mm version, and some wholesale
editing on my part will have to be done before we can geneate ms macro
version.

I posted a message about this a little while ago.  I got some replys,
but I've seen NONE of the messages in this thread prior to this one.
Could somebody update me on this?

I've hit some snags, mostly involving poor printer interfaces and
a lack of time, but this should become available REAL soon, and
I've already got one volunteer for a anomyn. uucp site to put
it for later pick up.  Anyhow, that's the plan.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak