[comp.sys.3b1] DWB for Unix-pc/3B1/Safari 4

crassi@kodak.kodak.com (Charlie Crassi) (02/05/91)

In article 67 of comp.sys.3b1 jeffery templon replies to the DWB advertisement
posted from cbnewsl.att.com.
>>From: templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon)
>>Newsgroups: comp.sys.3b1
>>Subject: Re: Any interest in DWB for 3B1?

>>can you let us know how much it will cost?  as you might expect from a
>>user community who has old, beat up, discontinued machines (great tho
>>they may be!) this is gonna be a factor.
>>
>>						jeff

Jeff,

I don't know about other machines but my 3b1 ureka has DWB installed on it
and as far as I remember it works. I no longer have access to a laserjet :-(

There is a dramatic shortage of documentation with DWB but it already exists
since 1988 for the 3b1 as is evidenced by the following directory listing:

[ureka charlie] %10

ls -ol /usr/lib/dwb

total 1024
---x--x--x  1         root     109152 Nov  8  1988 checkmm1*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      25372 Nov  8  1988 deroff*
-r--r--r--  1 root    root        706 Nov  8  1988 eign
-r--r--r--  1 root    root        647 Nov  8  1988 grap.defines
---x--x--x  1 root    root      49284 Nov  8  1988 ndexer*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      14832 Nov  8  1988 ndxformat*
-r--r--r--  1 root    root        791 Nov  8  1988 nls.map
---x--x--x  1 root    root      23316 Nov  8  1988 pages*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root    root       3806 Nov  8  1988 parts*
drwxrwxrwx  2 root    users       208 Nov  8  1988 samples/
---x--x--x  1 root    root      62536 Nov  8  1988 sbj1*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      22056 Nov  8  1988 sbj2*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      19492 Nov  8  1988 sbj3*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      15880 Nov  8  1988 sbjprep*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      78920 Nov  8  1988 style1*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      50544 Nov  8  1988 style2*
---x--x--x  1 root    root      41064 Nov  8  1988 style3*

ls -ol /usr/lib/dwb/samples

total 31
rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin        1054 Nov  8  1988 eqn.stats
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin        2155 Nov  8  1988 mm.letter
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin         819 Nov  8  1988 mm.report
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin         470 Nov  8  1988 mm.sales
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin        1167 Nov  8  1988 nroff.letter
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root       5699 Nov  8  1988 readme.t
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin         368 Nov  8  1988 tbl.bridges
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin         390 Nov  8  1988 tbl.language
-rw-r--r--  1 bin     bin         465 Nov  8  1988 tbl.pres
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root        188 Nov  8  1988 testlh.t
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root        285 Nov  8  1988 testlhu.t

dklann@heurikon.heurikon.com (David Klann) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb4.172022.28688@kodak.kodak.com>, crassi@kodak.kodak.com (Charlie Crassi) writes:
|> In article 67 of comp.sys.3b1 jeffery templon replies to the DWB advertisement
|> posted from cbnewsl.att.com.

|> Jeff,
|>
|> I don't know about other machines but my 3b1 ureka has DWB installed on it
|> and as far as I remember it works. I no longer have access to a laserjet :-(

Yes, we do have DWB 2.0.  For those who are familiar with nroff, this is the real thing.

I have two complaints about the package:
	It is incomplete.  Someone chose to leave out troff.
	It is distributed only with the Development Set.

I, for one, would like the ability to generate PostScript from roff source on my UNIXpc at home.  This proposal would give me the ability to do just that.  I also agree with Jeffery - the price would have to be right.

On the other hand...  has anyone gotten FSF's groff ported yet?

--
David Klann
Heurikon Corporation

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb4.172022.28688@kodak.kodak.com> crassi@kodak.kodak.com (Charlie Crassi) writes:
>In article 67 of comp.sys.3b1 jeffery templon replies to the DWB advertisement
>posted from cbnewsl.att.com.
>>>From: templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon)
>
>Jeff,
>
>I don't know about other machines but my 3b1 ureka has DWB installed on it
>and as far as I remember it works. I no longer have access to a laserjet :-(
>
>There is a dramatic shortage of documentation with DWB but it already exists
>since 1988 for the 3b1 as is evidenced by the following directory listing:
>
>[ureka charlie] %10

Well, I must be missing something... or are some of these files non-standard?
or do I have an older version? or do you have an older version? (I'm using
the 3.51 dev set)

My /usr/lib/dwb files are all a little smaller (except for "pages") and
I'm missing these:

>ls -ol /usr/lib/dwb
>
>total 1024
>---x--x--x  1         root     109152 Nov  8  1988 checkmm1*
>-r--r--r--  1 root    root        706 Nov  8  1988 eign
>-r--r--r--  1 root    root        647 Nov  8  1988 grap.defines
>-r--r--r--  1 root    root        791 Nov  8  1988 nls.map

In this directory, mm.letter is 3 times the size of the one I have.
Everything else is the same, except what I don't have, which is the
following.

>ls -ol /usr/lib/dwb/samples
>
>total 31
>-rw-r--r--  1 root    root       5699 Nov  8  1988 readme.t
>-rw-r--r--  1 root    root        188 Nov  8  1988 testlh.t
>-rw-r--r--  1 root    root        285 Nov  8  1988 testlhu.t

So, what's the scoop on this?  Are these files from some net package?
(groff?) or are they from the troff-expanded dwb?

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/14/91)

In article <59@heurikon.heurikon.com> dklann@heurikon.heurikon.com writes:
>In article <1991Feb4.172022.28688@kodak.kodak.com>, crassi@kodak.kodak.com (Charlie Crassi) writes:

   [...]

>Yes, we do have DWB 2.0.  For those who are familiar with nroff, this is the real thing.
>
>I have two complaints about the package:
>	It is incomplete.  Someone chose to leave out troff.
>	It is distributed only with the Development Set.
>
>I, for one, would like the ability to generate PostScript from roff source on my UNIXpc at home.  This proposal would give me the ability to do just that.  I also agree with Jeffery - the price would have to be right.
>
>On the other hand...  has anyone gotten FSF's groff ported yet?

	I'm running version 0.5 now.  I should try to get a later version.
(Anyone know what version they're up to now?)

	About the only problem I remember bringing it up was that one of the
source files was large and complex enough so that I had to turn off
optimization for that file (special mods to the Makefile), and kill off ALL
daemons.  I was running out of paging space.  (I have since re-configured
the drives, dedicating much more swap space from the disk.)  I guess that I
could package up the binaries, and ship them off to osu-cis, but I really
would like to have a later version.  (Almost everything is perfect, but
there is a minor glitch once in a while, when a line is printed using two
Postscript lines.  If the two lines result in a word being split between the
lines, the resulting single output line will have a slight gap between
letters.  (I received e-mail suggesting that this is from missing ligature
characters, which is a good guess, but not the case with the text I am
seeing.)  I suspect that there is a small size difference between the
Times-Roman font implementation the font-tables are coded for, and the
implementation in the PacificPage Postscript cartridge that I am using in my
HPLJ-II.

	It is still VERY nice to have.  I just wish that I had documentation
for DITROFF, since the gnu docs (at least in 0.5) only document the
additional features in their implementation, assuming that you have the
standard ditroff and docs.  Papers from others using it show that it works,
but I don't know how to make it work.

	Happy Printing
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (02/14/91)

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and bought a "software
Bundle" from Discovery (formerly DDS) in Georgia.  It had something
called TT&C Wizard/PS which was troff (plus pic) and a postscript
postprocessor.  I use it every day and it works fine.  The only
problem will be finding someone who still has this stuff for sale.
Cheers
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (02/14/91)

In article <59@heurikon.heurikon.com> dklann@heurikon.heurikon.com writes:
>In article <1991Feb4.172022.28688@kodak.kodak.com>, crassi@kodak.kodak.com (Charlie Crassi) writes:
>|> In article 67 of comp.sys.3b1 jeffery templon replies to the DWB advertisement
>|> [some stuff about AT&T's DWB ]
>
>Yes, we do have DWB 2.0.  For those who are familiar with nroff, this is the real thing.
>
>I have two complaints about the package:
>	It is incomplete.  Someone chose to leave out troff.
>	It is distributed only with the Development Set.
>
>I, for one, would like the ability to generate PostScript from roff source on my UNIXpc at home.  This proposal would give me the ability to do just that.  I also agree with Jeffery - the price would have to be right.
>
>On the other hand...  has anyone gotten FSF's groff ported yet?

groff-bin.tar.Z at csvax.cs.caltech.edu contains the unix pc binaries,
courtesy of Andy Fyfe.  You can get them by FTP.

I asked about drivers and printer support and this is what he said:

# Me:
#> I have an Epson MX-80 with the Graftrax proms and a Diablo 1650.
#> Will groff work with any of those?  Are there drivers for the Epson at
#> least?  The MX-80 is one of the very few fully supported printers by the
#> unix pc software.  I suppose those drivers are not included in the
#> above file?
#
# Andy:
# The tar file contains all the programs in the groff distribution.  The
# only drivers are for tty (ascii and ISO Latin1), postscript, and dvi.
# If you have a dvi driver for your Epson you should be able to use that.
# (troff does use a different set of typical magnifications than TeX though,
# so fonts would probably have to be made.  (troff uses even point sizes
# (10, 12, 14) while tex uses magsteps (14.4 pt == magstep 2).))  Otherwise
# the programs won't be of any use, unless there's a repository of ditroff
# drivers out there somewhere.  I'm not sure how useful the tty driver will
# be, given that the 3b1 has nroff already.
#
# --andy

Since you want to do postscript, it looks like you're all set.  Now my
question:  Does anybody have a dvi driver for the MX-80 and the appropriate
fonts at the correct magnifications?

--

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (02/16/91)

In article <59@heurikon.heurikon.com> dklann@heurikon.heurikon.com writes:
>Yes, we do have DWB 2.0.  For those who are familiar with nroff, this is the
>real thing.

No.  It's just nroff.  How something could be DWB 2.anything without troff
is a little hard to comprehend.  If only they had shipped the old CAT troff
we'd have *something* that can be made to work.  I know, how about asking
for CAT troff binaries in the next FIX disk if there's ever one?

> I, for one, would like the ability to generate PostScript from roff source on
> my UNIXpc at home.  This proposal would give me the ability to do just that.
> I also agree with Jeffery - the price would have to be right.

>On the other hand...  has anyone gotten FSF's groff ported yet?

I've got the sources for groff.  But you need g++ first...  Does anybody have
g++ ported and binaries of it available for uucp?

Nils-Peter rather blithly ruled out DWB 3.1 for 3b1's which is rather
unfortunate (suggesting that it would cost 100's of dollars for a simple
compile and a set of floppies.  For some reason he thinks AT&T would
have to market the durn thing.)
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca