[comp.sys.3b1] How do you change the ua 'kill' character???

wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) (02/10/91)

ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!

After 3 days pawing through TFM's, sprinkling 'stty kill ^U' and 'tset -s'
in every *profile *rc and such that I can find, scoping /usr/bin/ua with
'strings' and 'od' I've given up.

How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
(or something else that doesn't get used in mail addresses, Makefiles, etc)??

No matter what I try, shells spawned by the ua have 'kill' reset to '@'!
Selecting 'Full-screen UNIX' invokes my .kshrc and 'kill' becomes '^U' just
like I want.  But invoke 'elm' from an Office menu or a ! escape and try
mailing something to 'foo@bar' without escaping the '@' and see what you
get.  BAH!  HUMBUG!.

I might not care so much but the rest of the family (wife and two teenage
daughters) is beginning to get interested in Net News, mailing lists and the
like.  They can follow the idea of copying an address like 'foo@bar' from
a crib sheet, but escaping characters is still not in their mental working
set.  Hey, getting them to use UNIX at all is a big breakthrough! (Especcially
since their other encounters with computers at school has been with Macs!)

Even an 'RTFM' WITH THE F***ING PAGE NUMBER would be appreciated.

Thanks to all!
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman Yarvin) (02/10/91)

wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
>(or something else that doesn't get used in mail addresses, Makefiles, etc)??

Whenever a new window is opened, it gets the default line discipline
settings.  To change those, add an stty command to whatever program is
opening the windows.  This can be done with ua by editing the 'Office' menu
(~/Office or /usr/lib/ua/Office) so that it invokes stty or a shell script
that calls stty.

Yes, it'd be a lot simpler to modify ua, rather than modifying every program
it calls.  A lot faster too.

>Even an 'RTFM' WITH THE F***ING PAGE NUMBER would be appreciated.

Um, that'd be adb(1).

Or rm(1), if you want to replace ua entirely.  Even perhaps uucp(1), if you
wish to use "wind", my replacement for ua.  (That's _replacement_, not
clone.  I don't mean to give the impression that it looks anything like ua,
or is anywhere near as moron-friendly, or is capable of system maintenance.
It does do quite well at hanging around, opening windows, and starting up
processes in them, though.  Archived at osu-cis.)

--
Norman Yarvin					yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu
 "Praise the humanities, my boy.  That'll make them think you're broadminded!"

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb10.011852.596@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
>
>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
>(or something else that doesn't get used in mail addresses, Makefiles, etc)??
>No matter what I try, shells spawned by the ua have 'kill' reset to '@'!
>Selecting 'Full-screen UNIX' invokes my .kshrc and 'kill' becomes '^U' just
>like I want.  But invoke 'elm' from an Office menu or a ! escape and try
>mailing something to 'foo@bar' without escaping the '@' and see what you
>get.  BAH!  HUMBUG!.
>
>--
>Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
>wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |
>uunet!mailrus!sharkey!wa8tzg!wwm |   All you have to do is put the right
>"Home for Cybernetic Orphans"    |   numbers in the right memory locations!

In my ~/.profile I have
---------------------------
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc;export ENV
SHELL=/bin/ksh;export SHELL   <---- I don't think this line is relevant
---------------------------

And in my ~/.kshrc I have
stty quit  intr  kill  erase  -noflsh ixon ixoff

Everything works fine for me, no need to escape my @'s in elm either.
I just checked from UA too and it works..

Hope this helps

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

donlash@uncle.uucp (Donald Lashomb) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.011852.596@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
>
>After 3 days pawing through TFM's, sprinkling 'stty kill ^U' and 'tset -s'
>in every *profile *rc and such that I can find, scoping /usr/bin/ua with
>'strings' and 'od' I've given up.
>
>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
>(or something else that doesn't get used in mail addresses, Makefiles, etc)??
[...]

I sufferred with this one too when I first got my 7300,  Finnally I figured
out how to set the kill-char to what ever you want - you've got to patch
the kernal (using adb) to fix it.  I'll try to dig out my notes on how I
did it and post them in the next few days.

Don		donlash@uncle.UUCP

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.063417.5036@texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex@cirr.comm writes:
>In article <1991Feb10.011852.596@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
>>
>>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'

      [most of original posting deleted]

>In my ~/.profile I have
>---------------------------
>ENV=$HOME/.kshrc;export ENV
>SHELL=/bin/ksh;export SHELL   <---- I don't think this line is relevant
>---------------------------
>
>And in my ~/.kshrc I have
>stty quit  intr  kill  erase  -noflsh ixon ixoff
>
>Everything works fine for me, no need to escape my @'s in elm either.
>I just checked from UA too and it works..
>
>Hope this helps
>
>--
>Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
>UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

Doesn't work here, even tried cutting the lines from your posting.
I had the ENV line in my ~/.profile and stty commands in ~/.kshrc before.

I'm running 3.51a with the STORE! version of KSH.  Any reason this
combination should have a problem??
--

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.014737.1139@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>In article <1991Feb10.063417.5036@texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex@cirr.comm writes:
>>In article <1991Feb10.011852.596@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>>ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
>>>
>>>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
>>

>      [most of original posting deleted]
>
>>In my ~/.profile I have
>>---------------------------
>>ENV=$HOME/.kshrc;export ENV
>>SHELL=/bin/ksh;export SHELL   <---- I don't think this line is relevant
>>---------------------------
>>
>>And in my ~/.kshrc I have
>>--------------------------------------------------------
>>stty quit  intr  kill  erase  -noflsh ixon ixoff
>>--------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>Everything works fine for me, no need to escape my @'s in elm either.
>>I just checked from UA too and it works..
>>
>>Hope this helps
>>
>>--
>>Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
>>UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler
>
>Doesn't work here, even tried cutting the lines from your posting.
>I had the ENV line in my ~/.profile and stty commands in ~/.kshrc before.
>
>I'm running 3.51a with the STORE! version of KSH.  Any reason this
>combination should have a problem??

I'm running the KSH that came with the system but I'm running
the 3.51m OS.  Maybe this problem was cured with the FIXDISK 2.0.
Another poster said he fixed his with adb.  So, I'll bet 3.51m
also provided a fix.

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.014737.1139@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>In article <1991Feb10.063417.5036@texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex@cirr.comm writes:
>>In article <1991Feb10.011852.596@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>>ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
>>>
>>>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'

 [problem still there despite attempted fixes...]

>Doesn't work here, even tried cutting the lines from your posting.
>I had the ENV line in my ~/.profile and stty commands in ~/.kshrc before.
>
>I'm running 3.51a with the STORE! version of KSH.  Any reason this
>combination should have a problem??

Bill, might I suggest that you change the kill character in the /etc/profile.
Then, try scattering stty -a commands throughout the various scripts run
during login so that you may pinpoint where the change is occuring.  stty
settings, as far as I understand them, should not be changed by invocations
of shells.  Good luck searching, and please follow up with results...

>--
>Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
>wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |
>uunet!mailrus!sharkey!wa8tzg!wwm |   All you have to do is put the right
>"Home for Cybernetic Orphans"    |   numbers in the right memory locations!

Charge!!!

What do you mean, "The other Direction"?!?!

craig

reso@sevihc.UUCP (Dennis Reso) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb14.222252.453@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
> In article <6499@bone13.UUCP> murphyn@motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) writes:
> >wwm@wa8tzg..mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
> >
> >>How the $!@$ do you change the ua line-kill character from '@' to '^U'
> >>(or something else that doesn't get used in mail addresses, Makefiles, etc)??
>
> [suggestion of stty in $HOME/.profile]
>
> No inheritance.  Putting stty's in /etc/profile and even /etc/rc didn't
> help either.  UA simply resets the characters!

I am using the ksh that came with the system and 3.51 (*not* 3.51m).
My stty is in $HOME/.kshrc, read by every shell, and thus does not
depend on inheritance from the login shell's .profile.

Dennis Reso                        sevihc!reso@sharkey.cc.umich.edu
Sterling Hieghts, MI USA           {sharkey|hela}!sevihc!reso
Ford Motor Company, Dearborn       pms415!reso@fmsrl7.srl.ford.com