[comp.sys.3b1] HDB and async_main

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (02/12/91)

Greetings to all in netland,

I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
"How do I use the async_main with it?" I need the vt100 emulation, because s4,
7300,unix-pc isn't known outside AT&T or the loyal followers.

I have looked at the related messages on OSU and can't find a thing.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.192322.9824@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) writes:

   [...]

>I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
>use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
>"How do I use the async_main with it?" I need the vt100 emulation, because s4,
>7300,unix-pc isn't known outside AT&T or the loyal followers.
>
>I have looked at the related messages on OSU and can't find a thing.

	It works with HDB present.  Since async_main doesn't depend on the
uucp tables/programs, it doesn't matter which you use.  async_main uses the
ph system's databases.  About the only thing that ph and uucp share are the
lockfiles, and HDB was configured to put them in the old location to
maintain compatability with the ph stuff.

	Don't worry - it works
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.192322.9824@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com writes:

>I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
>use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
>"How do I use the async_main with it?" I need the vt100 emulation, because s4,
>7300,unix-pc isn't known outside AT&T or the loyal followers.
>
>I have looked at the related messages on OSU and can't find a thing.
>
>Can anyone help me?

On OSU, there used to be the HDB stuff.  If you have that, you can
install it on top of async_main (ATE disc).  I have a modified version
of that disc that is compatible with HDB, but I doubt it is PD since
it is a simple modification of the old async_main software (with the
fix disc fix installed as well). I would be leary of posting it because
of that. I suppose that it would be OK if you already have the ATE
software.  And if there is interest, I could make up some kind of
script for making a new HDB compatible installable disc out of the old
one and a formatted floppy.  That may be OK to post, but I'm not
sure.  (I think that we async_main users may be in the minority here
anyway :-))

Comments???

Suggestions???

Ray
Ray Schafer                     |Internet:
5004 Emerald Forest Circle      |micro@micrtk.cactus.org
Austin, Texas 78745             |UUCP:
Ma Bell:                        |..!cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!micrtk!micro
(512) 441-1010                  |Disclaimer: Yeah, I meant it, so what?

dave@dms3b1.uucp (Dave Hanna) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.182240.23571@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG> micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) writes:
|In article <1991Feb11.192322.9824@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com writes:
|>
|>I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
|>use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
|>"How do I use the async_main with it?"
|
|On OSU, there used to be the HDB stuff.  If you have that, you can
|install it on top of async_main (ATE disc).  I have a modified version
|of that disc that is compatible with HDB,
|
|Comments???

What is the problem?  I use the async_main (I'm assuming that means
the terminal emulator built into the phone manager, right?), and installed
HDB from the STORE right over top of it, and it still continues
to run just as it did.  I don't recall that I changed anything.
What is it that doesn't work?

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.120647.5819@dms3b1.uucp> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>In article <1991Feb12.182240.23571@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG> micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) writes:
>|In article <1991Feb11.192322.9824@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com writes:
>|>[Question on how to use HDB and async_main]
>|
>|On OSU, there used to be the HDB stuff.  If you have that, you can
>|install it on top of async_main (ATE disc).  I have a modified version
>|of that disc that is compatible with HDB,
>|
>|Comments???
>
>What is the problem?  I use the async_main (I'm assuming that means
>the terminal emulator built into the phone manager, right?), and installed
>HDB from the STORE right over top of it, and it still continues
>to run just as it did.  I don't recall that I changed anything.
>What is it that doesn't work?

Right.  It works if you install HDB on Top of ATE.  Problem comes only
if you have to do a system restore.  You have to put the HDB on last..
after you put the phone manager, and ATE.  The reason is due to some
UA specific stuff from the phone manager like: /usr/lib/ua/Phones.form,
/usr/lib/ua/Phonesinit.for, /usr/bin/Phones.sh, /usr/bin/Phonesinit.sh,
and from ATE: /usr/bin/CMB232.sh, /usr/bin/RS232.sh,
/usr/lib/ua/CMB232.menu, /usr/lib/ua/RS232a.form, /usr/lib/ua/RS232b.form
/usr/lib/ua/RS232d.form, and /usr/lib/ua/RS232e.form.
The versions of these which come with Phone manager, and ATE must be
replaced by the HDB versions.  That's all.  Actually, if you can set
things up without using ua, no problem.   All I did was to remake the
ATE and Phone Manager installation discs using the HDB ua files above
instead of the ones that came on them. That way, it doesn't matter if
you put the ATE disc or Phone manager on top of HDB or not.  If you
have to remove a package, you can just put it back in instead of
having to put it back in and then put HDB back in on top.  Pretty
simple really.  (while I was at it, I also put the pertinent Fix disk
stuff on the discs as well.) I used them alot until I got the tape
drive. :-)

--
Ray Schafer                 |Internet:
5004 Emerald Forest Circle  |micro@micrtk.cactus.org
Austin, Texas 78745         |UUCP:..!cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!micrtk!micro
+1 (512) 441-1010           |"All we are saying is give peace a chance"

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb12.034118.17737@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
>use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
>"How do I use the async_main with it?" I need the vt100 emulation, because s4,
>7300,unix-pc isn't known outside AT&T or the loyal followers.

It's easy enough to teach other UNIX machines about unixpcs simply by copying
the /etc/termcap entry for "unixpc" from the unixpc, putting it in your home
directory on the remote machine, and placing this in your profile:
	TERMCAP=$HOME/<termcapfile>
	TERM=unixpc
	export TERM TERMCAP
Better: TERMCAP=`cat $HOME/<termcapfile>` export TERMCAP.  Makes most
packages start off much faster.
Best: get the other system's System admin to install the entry
into their /etc/termcap, and somehow pull out the unixpc entry and
stuff it into the TERMCAP variable.

Though, of course, this ain't particularly useful on non-UNIX machines.

I gave up on phone long ago - partly because it doesn't work at all for
some reason ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/17/91)

In article <1351@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <1991Feb12.034118.17737@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>>I would like use the UA's phone (no flames please) with HDB. I like HDB and
>>use it all the time on my 3b2's and want to use it on my 7300. My question is
>>"How do I use the async_main with it?" I need the vt100 emulation, because s4,
>>7300,unix-pc isn't known outside AT&T or the loyal followers.

	Not really my article quoted here, but rather the article which I
was replying to. :-)

>It's easy enough to teach other UNIX machines about unixpcs simply by copying
>the /etc/termcap entry for "unixpc" from the unixpc, putting it in your home
>directory on the remote machine, and placing this in your profile:
>	TERMCAP=$HOME/<termcapfile>
>	TERM=unixpc
>	export TERM TERMCAP

	I've been puting my private copy of termcap in systems which I
access frequently, and searching it for whatever terminal I'm coming in on.
(Even some SysV machines may have a reasonable 's4' entry, but a lousy
'vt100', because they are expecting every program to use 'terminfo'.  Some
programs, such as 'less', 'jove', etc. are handicaped by what is in the
termcap file.  An example from my recent experience, is a Unisys System 5000
running SysVr3.)  The BSD /etc/termcap file is MUCH better, in my experience.

	DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564
Disclaimer: from here - None	| Email:     <dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com>

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (02/19/91)

The main reason I posted a question about using async_main with HDB is that
I got nastigrams from my 7300 saying that tty000 was not configured for
outdialing, or something to that effect. I also want to use the uugetty
feature from HDB.

I also have found on the new machines that the termcap file is an antique
and the terminfo files govern.

I have found that the "s4" difinitions of SVR2 and SVR3's are ok but for
 other machines they areno existant . The standard ansi 3.64 or vt100 is
a standard. I like the UA PHONE concept(no flames please) and have used the
UA as a way of showing these new kids that a working windows environment
has been around since they were in high school.

I do admit that the vt100 emulation on the 7300 is "ODD". I still go
for the cursor arrow keys and get strange characters in my files.

Thanks,

------------------------

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.162541.16654@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) writes:

>The main reason I posted a question about using async_main with HDB is that
>I got nastigrams from my 7300 saying that tty000 was not configured for
>outdialing, or something to that effect. I also want to use the uugetty
>feature from HDB.

	Have you also installed the HDBadmin package?  If so, you should be
able to go into the 'install' login, select admin, then serial port setup,
and tell the system that it is connected to a modem, and is used for both
logins and outgoing calls, and it should set up the appropriate 'uugetty'
line in /etc/inittab.  Here's one which was used for a direct line to
another 3b1 in my house. NOTE THE LEADING SPACE! it is necessary.  You might
have to edit the line after the admin stuff gets done, since it may not
believe that a modem can be used at 9600 or so.

 000:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 tty000 9600

	I don't usually worry about what flag files are set up for this, I
just let ua deal with them for me, unless it is outside the ken of ua.  This
way I keep (some of) my sanity, while dealing with 3 unix-pcs, one v7
system, and a BSD4.2, all at home.  When it was just the v7, I knew every
detail of how to make it perform, but things have gotten more complicated,
and in diverging directions. :-)

	Good Luck
		DoN.