[comp.sys.3b1] Control key, mouse cursor, floppy boot, ksh window.

mark@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (7794) (02/20/91)

* First, the canonical (but accurate) header:
	* I'm new to the net.
	* I'm sure what I'm asking has been answered before, but I
	  couldn't find anything in comp.sources.3b1

* I'm looking for information on the following:
	* How can you (short of cutting and jumpering the pc board)
	  interchange the functions of the (left)control and caps-lock
	  keys? I believe it can be done in software, and suspect it
	  involves /etc/ioctl.syscon, which is tersely documented in
	  init.1m. The ioctl.syscon on my system contains the single
	  line:
d26:1805:bd:2b:0:7f:1c:8:40:4:0:0:0
	  (uname on my system responds: 3.5).
	* How can you change the shape (icon) of the mouse cursor? I
	  have experimented with the WIOCSETMOUSE ioctl, using MSICON
	  in the um_flags field of struct umdata. (Doc. in window.7,
	  font.4, /usr/include/sys/window.h, /usr/include/sys/font.h).
	  I can't get it to work.
	* Is there any way to modify hard disk files when booting with
	  the diagnostic (or some other type of) floppy disk? If you
	  mess up something (e.g. /unix, /etc/rc, /etc/ioctl.syscon),
	  is there any way to recover, boot from an alternate kernel,
	  etc., short of formatting the disk and re-loading all the
	  software?

* If anyone's interested (although I assume this is yesterday's news
  in this group), I have code that pops up an arbitrary-sized window
  with ksh running in it. I do not use TAM: My /etc/passwd shell is
  just ksh, because I want a full-size 80x24 window. But it's nice
  to be able to suspend and go to the other window to kill a hung
  process.

yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman Yarvin) (02/21/91)

mark@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Mark R. Rubin 4-7794) writes:
>	* I'm sure what I'm asking has been answered before, but I
>	  couldn't find anything in comp.sources.3b1

The archive server at which to browse goes by the UUCP name of osu-cis, and
the internet name of cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.  Look in directory
pub/att7300.

>* I'm looking for information on the following:
>	* How can you (short of cutting and jumpering the pc board)
>	  interchange the functions of the (left)control and caps-lock
>	  keys?

Get either the CAPCTL software or the second fix disk from osu-cis.  CAPCTL
loads in a new keyboard device driver; the second fix disk contains the 3.51m
version of the kernel.  Though strictly speaking the 3.51m kernel is only
guaranteed to work with the 3.51 base software, people have stated here in
the past that it does work with 3.5.

>	* How can you change the shape (icon) of the mouse cursor? I
>	  have experimented with the WIOCSETMOUSE ioctl, using MSICON
>	  in the um_flags field of struct umdata. (Doc. in window.7,
>	  font.4, /usr/include/sys/window.h, /usr/include/sys/font.h).
>	  I can't get it to work.

Well, that worked for me; or something similar did.  I don't remember
exactly, but you can pick up "wind.cpio.Z" from osu-cis.  You can set both
the shape and the 'hot point' of the mouse icon with it.

>	* Is there any way to modify hard disk files when booting with
>	  the diagnostic (or some other type of) floppy disk?

The third disk of the Foundation Set (the "Floppy Boot Disk") is a
filesystem.  To use it, one boots with the second disk, which prompts you to
insert the third disk.  After you do so, the computer gives you a dire
warning about erasing your hard disk.  At this point, hit the break key,
which is at that point shift-escape.  You get a shell prompt, with the
root filesystem being the floppy, and the hard disk mounted on /mnt.

>* If anyone's interested (although I assume this is yesterday's news
>  in this group), I have code that pops up an arbitrary-sized window
>  with ksh running in it.

The program "windy", on osu-cis, does this, and probably is able to set
a few more things.

--
Norman Yarvin					yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu
 "I can stand any society.  All I care to know is that a man is a human