[comp.sys.3b1] Where can I find a good layers host program?

zerr@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Troy Zerr) (02/18/91)

Recently a layers terminal emulator for the 3b1 was posted to
comp.sources.3b1.  I have tried to get it to work with our computers,
but with no luck.  The version of layers that is installed on our 3b2
computers refuses to recognize it as a windowing terminal (but works
fine with the 5620's we have here) and the version of Layers that comes
with MacLayers also refuses to talk to it.  I tried hacking the
MacLayers host program to ignore the 'terminal type' response, and
was able to get  xtclient  to go into multiplexed mode, but as soon
as I pressed a key, I started getting  time-out  errors.

Is there a good implementation of the layers protocol host program
available out there for BSD or for SysV?

On a similar topic, I am in the initial stages of development of a
terminal multiplexor for MS Windows.  I haven't decided whether to
use Layers or a proprietary protocol.  Any pointers to good documentation
of the standard would be helpful.  The 5620 manuals I have at the moment
aren't very helpful.

Thanks.

-- Troy Zerr
zerr@math.wisc.edu
uunet!math.wisc.edu!zerr

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb18.013351.7101@schaefer.math.wisc.edu> zerr@math.wisc.edu writes:
"Recently a layers terminal emulator for the 3b1 was posted to
"comp.sources.3b1.  I have tried to get it to work with our computers,
"but with no luck.  The version of layers that is installed on our 3b2
"computers refuses to recognize it as a windowing terminal (but works
"fine with the 5620's we have here) and the version of Layers that comes
"with MacLayers also refuses to talk to it.  I tried hacking the
"MacLayers host program to ignore the 'terminal type' response, and
"was able to get  xtclient  to go into multiplexed mode, but as soon
"as I pressed a key, I started getting  time-out  errors.

what you need to do is get the *layers* program to stop *asking* for
the terminal type.  you do this by starting it as 'layers [-f
layers_file] /dev/null'.
or, you could create the necessary /usr/lib/lsys.????? file...

"Is there a good implementation of the layers protocol host program
"available out there for BSD or for SysV?

see above.

"On a similar topic, I am in the initial stages of development of a
"terminal multiplexor for MS Windows.  I haven't decided whether to
"use Layers or a proprietary protocol.  Any pointers to good documentation
"of the standard would be helpful.  The 5620 manuals I have at the moment
"aren't very helpful.

layers has the limitation of only 7 windows/connection; however, it is
out there already at *many* sites.  if your multiplexer uses it (and
is pd), i can guarantee a wide distribution for it around here!

"Thanks.
"
"-- Troy Zerr
"zerr@math.wisc.edu
"uunet!math.wisc.edu!zerr
"

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |

hartman@abacab.UUCP (Mark A. Hartman) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb18.013351.7101@schaefer.math.wisc.edu> zerr@math.wisc.edu writes:
>Recently a layers terminal emulator for the 3b1 was posted to
>comp.sources.3b1.  I have tried to get it to work with our computers,
>but with no luck.  The version of layers that is installed on our 3b2
>computers refuses to recognize it as a windowing terminal (but works
>fine with the 5620's we have here) and the version of Layers that comes

A "layers" terminal identifies itself at startup, and your 3B2 may not
be set up to recognize the sequence sent by xtclient (probably the sequence
for the AT&T 630 terminal?).  Creating an empty file called
/usr/lib/layersys/lsys.8;7;5 on your 3B2 should make it recognize xtclient.
The file normally contains data to be downloaded to the terminal at startup,
which in this case is nothing.

--
Mark Hartman			hartman@abacab.chi.il.us
				Mark_A_Hartman@att.com