[comp.sys.3b1] Anyone tried using a different keyboard on the 3B1?

n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) (02/13/91)

Having owned my 3B1 for 9 months now, I still don't like the AT&T
keyboard very well.  It's way to 'stiff' feeling and the initial
resistance to a keypress is too high.  I tend to type fast, and it
seems like I'm always skipping characters on it.

Anyway, has anyone tried to use a better keyboard with this box?
Ideally, I'd like a late-model IBM 101-key keyboard, a keyboard
like the Amiga 3000's, or a Northgate model.  How difficult would
this be to do (if no one's already done it)?  How different is
the AT&T keyboard interface from that of a clone?

--Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu  OR  dlb5404@rigel.tamu.edu
  Texas A&M University

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/14/91)

In article <12086@helios.TAMU.EDU> n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:

>Having owned my 3B1 for 9 months now, I still don't like the AT&T
>keyboard very well.  It's way to 'stiff' feeling and the initial
>resistance to a keypress is too high.  I tend to type fast, and it
>seems like I'm always skipping characters on it.
>
>Anyway, has anyone tried to use a better keyboard with this box?

Wellll, some of the "previously-owned" systems I've bought came with 3B1
keyboards whose "feel" might be to your liking; they were too "soft" for
me and I ended up buying new, taut/tight keyboards for my use.  'Sfunny,
I type extremely fast and have a light touch on the keys but need to have
a positive feedback for accurate typing ... the soft keyboards were the
source of never-ending frustration for me.

Maybe you (or others) want to swap some taut keyboards for soft ones?
Send email.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

phoenix.UUCP (Yong Ren,,,) (02/16/91)

> In article <12086@helios.TAMU.EDU> n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:
>
>Having owned my 3B1 for 9 months now, I still don't like the AT&T
>keyboard very well.  It's way to 'stiff' feeling and the initial
>resistance to a keypress is too high.  I tend to type fast, and it
>seems like I'm always skipping characters on it.
>
>Anyway, has anyone tried to use a better keyboard with this box?

I don't know whether some other keyboards will fit this machine, but when
I bought my new keyboard from Discovery Electronics, they told me there
are two kinds of keyboards for 3b1, one feels softer than the other. I
got the softer one, and most of my friends who have used my machine think the
keyboard feels much better than those on IBM PC or Mac's. And isn't it
cheap! $35 dollars for both the new keyboard and mouse, with two telephone
cables.

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/16/91)

In article <6299@idunno.Princeton.EDU> yren@idunno.Princeton.EDU!phoenix.UUCP (Yong Ren,,,) writes:
>> In article <12086@helios.TAMU.EDU> n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:
>>
>>Having owned my 3B1 for 9 months now, I still don't like the AT&T
>>keyboard very well.  It's way to 'stiff' feeling and the initial
>>resistance to a keypress is too high.  I tend to type fast, and it
>>seems like I'm always skipping characters on it.
>>
>>Anyway, has anyone tried to use a better keyboard with this box?
>
>I don't know whether some other keyboards will fit this machine, but when
>I bought my new keyboard from Discovery Electronics, they told me there
>are two kinds of keyboards for 3b1, one feels softer than the other. I
>got the softer one, and most of my friends who have used my machine think the
>keyboard feels much better than those on IBM PC or Mac's. And isn't it
>cheap! $35 dollars for both the new keyboard and mouse, with two telephone
>cables.

	I FAR prefer the stiffer keyboard.  I have three machines, two 3b1's
and one 7300.  One of the 3b1's came with the newer keyboard (the stiffer
one), and the other two with the older, softer keyboard.  (They may be
identifed by the tactile indicators on the home keys (F & J)).  If the
tactile indicator is a vertical line, to the left of the letters, it is the
older keyboard, while if the tactile indicator is a horizontal line under
the letters, it is the newer keyboard.  I was lucky enough to be able to
purchace replacement keyboards from Wierd Stuff, following a note on the
net.  (The soft ones are being saved against the possibility of failure of
one of my machines' keyboards.)

	I believe that in general, touch typists prefer the stiffer
keyboard, while two-finger typists will prefer the softer ones.  (I LIKE the
feel of the keyboard on a IBM-PC, just don't like the layout, and the
underlying OS. and cpu :-).

	If I hadn't been able to obtain these keyboards, I would probably
offer to trade my softer ones for the stiffer.

	BTW, the softer keyboards are marked as being made in USA, while the
stiffer ones are marked as originating in Japan.

	Happy Typing
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb16.045206.323@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:

>and one 7300.  One of the 3b1's came with the newer keyboard (the stiffer
>one), and the other two with the older, softer keyboard.  (They may be
>identifed by the tactile indicators on the home keys (F & J)).  If the
>tactile indicator is a vertical line, to the left of the letters, it is the
>older keyboard, while if the tactile indicator is a horizontal line under
>the letters, it is the newer keyboard.

My keyboard has the vertical lines to the RIGHT of the f & j letters.
It feels like a fairly stiff keyboard..

>	BTW, the softer keyboards are marked as being made in USA, while the
>stiffer ones are marked as originating in Japan.

Mine says Made in USA

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb17.185345.27854@texrex.uucp> rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
>In article <1991Feb16.045206.323@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>
>>and one 7300.  One of the 3b1's came with the newer keyboard (the stiffer
>>one), and the other two with the older, softer keyboard.  (They may be
>>identifed by the tactile indicators on the home keys (F & J)).  If the
>>tactile indicator is a vertical line, to the left of the letters, it is the
>>older keyboard, while if the tactile indicator is a horizontal line under
>>the letters, it is the newer keyboard.
>
>My keyboard has the vertical lines to the RIGHT of the f & j letters.
>It feels like a fairly stiff keyboard..

	My apologies.  I was working from memory, and as usual, memory is
not a thing to trust implicitly.  I dug out the keyboard in question, and
the vertical lines ARE to the right.

	The sensation of stiffness comes more from the crispness of the
breakpoint in key travel. (The point at which the preceived force drops
noticeably).  A re-check (without using a force guage) says that the force
to bottom the key is probably nearly the same, but the key FEELS more
positive.  (Goes down to cellar, says "Now where did I put that force
guage?", scratches head, comes upstairs, picks up Ohaus weight set.)  Now,
it takes 65g to depress the 'f' key on the new kbd, 51g on the old kbd.  (At
these levels, the key will slowly depress while I'm looking for the next
size weight.)  (erases lots of 'f's from article) So, the old keyboard is
lighter (slightly, at least for one key), and the new one has the greater
feel of crispness, which is what I REALLY want, since it gives me better
tactile feedback..

	Wish I had the equipment to profile the effort needed throughout the
entire keystroke.

>>	BTW, the softer keyboards are marked as being made in USA, while the
>>stiffer ones are marked as originating in Japan.
>
>Mine says Made in USA

	Yep, matches the vertical grooves for the home keys.

	[ ... accumulated .sig(s) removed ... ]

	DoN.
--

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (02/21/91)

In article <12086@helios.TAMU.EDU> (posted to comp.sys.3b1),
n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:

> Having owned my 3B1 for 9 months now, I still don't like the AT&T
> keyboard very well.  It's way to 'stiff' feeling and the initial
> resistance to a keypress is too high.  I tend to type fast, and it
> seems like I'm always skipping characters on it.
>
> Anyway, has anyone tried to use a better keyboard with this box?
 . . . .

> --Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu  OR  dlb5404@rigel.tamu.edu
>   Texas A&M University

Just goes to show.  I HATE the un-springy AT keyboard on my 6300+,
and really like the one on my 3b1.  So, can I get a "stiff" keyboard
that'll work for my 6300+ ?  (not ready to buy today, but interested
in eventually getting better keyboard (maybe attached to new computer))

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

pete@nyet.UUCP (Pete Hardie) (02/21/91)

In article <6299@idunno.Princeton.EDU> yren@idunno.Princeton.EDU!phoenix.UUCP (Yong Ren,,,) writes:
>I don't know whether some other keyboards will fit this machine, but when
>I bought my new keyboard from Discovery Electronics, they told me there
>are two kinds of keyboards for 3b1, one feels softer than the other. I
>got the softer one, and most of my friends who have used my machine think the
>keyboard feels much better than those on IBM PC or Mac's. And isn't it
>cheap! $35 dollars for both the new keyboard and mouse, with two telephone
>cables.

I have recently acquired a PC7300 as a playmate for nyet, my 3b1.  The 7300
has a very different feel to its keyboard, much softer, less 'clicky'

Personally, I'm not sure which I prefer, since the softer one is quieter,
but mushier.

If anyone REALLY want to trade styles, I'd consider it.

--
Pete Hardie             mail: ...!emory!stiatl!slammer!nyet!pete
"Well, Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable,