[comp.sys.3b1] ".GIF" files

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/06/91)

I'm not sure how long ago I posted this, but because of the problems
some people are having with the new groups, I decided to post this
request one more time.  Pardon the inconvenience!  :)

I'm looking for a way to view standard ".GIF" files on the 3B1...
there MUST be a way... but I have no idea, and would appreciate it
if someone out there could let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Forrie

--
--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

steveb@ombrage.mi.org (Steve Barber) (02/06/91)

In article <57@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>I'm not sure how long ago I posted this, but because of the problems
>some people are having with the new groups, I decided to post this
>request one more time.  Pardon the inconvenience!  :)

I had problems getting mail to you the first time (your system name was
not recognized by my internet forwarder), so I'll post this this time:

>I'm looking for a way to view standard ".GIF" files on the 3B1...
>there MUST be a way... but I have no idea, and would appreciate it
>if someone out there could let me know.

Yes, there's a way.  Download the PBMPLUS utilities, and then pick up
my pbmto3b1 program from osu-cis.  You'll need libpbm.a from the PBMPLUS
stuff to compile pbmto3b1, and you'll need the other PBMPLUS utilities to
do the format conversions.  Once you've got it all built, you can do this:

giftoppm < filename.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

(I did this with a gifto3b1 script on my system.)

Let me know if you have any problems.
Steve Barber  [steveb@ombrage.mi.org]

k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com (The QRPer) (02/07/91)

From article <1991Feb6.152706.9487@ombrage.mi.org>, by steveb@ombrage.mi.org (Steve Barber):
> In article <57@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>>I'm looking for a way to view standard ".GIF" files on the 3B1...
>>there MUST be a way... but I have no idea, and would appreciate it
>>if someone out there could let me know.
>
> Yes, there's a way.  Download the PBMPLUS utilities, and then pick up
> my pbmto3b1 program from osu-cis.  You'll need libpbm.a from the PBMPLUS
> stuff to compile pbmto3b1, and you'll need the other PBMPLUS utilities to
> do the format conversions.  Once you've got it all built, you can do this:
>
> giftoppm < filename.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

This is what I do on my system as well.  Now for the 64 dollar question:

Is there a way of viewing ".GIF" files on the 3B1 that doesn't take
3 minutes per picture?  :-)

* These lines were added so our news posting program *
* doesn't barf.  Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.   *

Bob Schreibmaier K2PH  | UUCP: att!oblivion!k2ph or k2ph@oblivion.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories | ARPA: k2ph%oblivion@att.arpa
Lincroft, N.J. 07738   | ICBM: 40o21'N, 74o8'W

bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.215717.26551@cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com (The QRPer) writes:
>  Now for the 64 dollar question:
>
>Is there a way of viewing ".GIF" files on the 3B1 that doesn't take
>3 minutes per picture?  :-)

Sure:
cat filename.gif | remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1
:-)

--
    Bruce Lilly, Product Manager,      | bruce@Broadcast.Sony.COM
    Digital Television Tape Recording, | uunet!sonyusa!sonyd1!bruce

micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb7.204039.5842@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM> bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>In article <1991Feb6.215717.26551@cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com (The QRPer) writes:
>>  Now for the 64 dollar question:
>>
>>Is there a way of viewing ".GIF" files on the 3B1 that doesn't take
>>3 minutes per picture?  :-)
>
>Sure:
>cat filename.gif | remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1
>:-)
                               ^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^
Where Can I get these programs to view .GIF files?  Does osu-cis have
them?  (While I'm at it, does anyone have a cray I could borrow??)
:-)

Has there not been as much activity in this new 3b1 group as there was
in unix-pc.general or is it my imagination?

Ray Schafer                     |Internet:
5004 Emerald Forest Circle      |micro@micrtk.cactus.org
Austin, Texas 78745             |UUCP:
Ma Bell:                        |..!cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!micrtk!micro
(512) 441-1010                  |Disclaimer: Yeah, I meant it, so what?

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.203511.7688@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG> micro@micrtk.cactus.org
(Ray Schafer) writes:

>Has there not been as much activity in this new 3b1 group as there was
>in unix-pc.general or is it my imagination?

Traffic appears to be normal here (BTR) with some 150+ postings to comp.sys.3b1
during the past 7 days, though nothing in comp.sources.3b1 yet.  I haven't been
posting the usual eleventy-seven articles per day due to extremely heavy work-
load at the office. :-)

Heck, even ol' PORTAL has gotten at least 20 postings during the past week (and
still no comp.sys.3b1)

Things should be picking up; one of the last major hurdles getting "thadlabs"
on the net has been solved: seems SunOS-based systems don't like UUCP-login
names greater than 8 chars, once that was solved (between one of my feeds),
connectivity seems OK, so now the "fun" begins.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me (on the 3B1) was that it took only 12
minutes (wall time) to process the entire set of USA maps ... I seem to recall
someone last year claiming it required hours to do that.  Not complaining.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (02/12/91)

In article <1683@public.BTR.COM>, thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
> In article <1991Feb9.203511.7688@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG> micro@micrtk.cactus.org
> (Ray Schafer) writes:
> >>
> >Has there not been as much activity in this new 3b1 group as there was
> >in unix-pc.general or is it my imagination?
>
> Traffic appears to be normal here (BTR) with some 150+ postings
> to comp.sys.3b1 during the past 7 days . . . .

* sigh * only 119 have reached hico2, and in theory, I've got
connections to enough nodes that I should be covered.

Maybe I should email those administrators again . . . .

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (02/21/91)

In <1991Feb7.204039.5842@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM>
	bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) writes:

>cat filename.gif | remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1
>:-)

I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:

	cat a | b | c

is entirely equivalent in result to:

	b < a | c

Right?

--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) (02/22/91)

In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
>into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
>	cat a | b | c
>is entirely equivalent in result to:
>	b < a | c

The latter may be functional equivalent, but it's not nearly as
readable to my eyes.  The "path" by which the data "travels"
starts in the middle of the command line, then jumps backwards to
the start before leap-frogging forward to the end.  On the other
hand, using cat(1) to feed the start of a pipeline gives you a
nice "front-to-back" data path which is more readily apparent at
the viewer's first glance.  (In my opinion, of course.)

--
 \\         David Sandberg         \     ,=,       ,=,           \\
 //      dts@quad.sialis.com       /     | |uadric `=,ystems     //

bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) (02/22/91)

In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <1991Feb7.204039.5842@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM>
>	bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>
>>cat filename.gif | remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1
>>:-)
>
>I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
>into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
>
>	cat a | b | c
>
>is entirely equivalent in result to:
>
>	b < a | c
>
>Right?

Yes, it could have been:
< filename.gif remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

(it was based on a pipeline using cat in the previous posting,
and was intended as humour (note the smiley)-- the previous
poster asked if there was a way to do the conversion in less than
3 minutes)

Note that I've put the redirection first above; that preserves
the data flow from left to right, which is also evident in the
pipeline using cat.
--

ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) (02/22/91)

In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
>into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
>
>	cat a | b | c
>
>is entirely equivalent in result to:
>
>	b < a | c

That's correct, but notationally, setting up a long pipeline using
only pipes is, for some people, more intuitive than throwing a re-
direction in there, since the order "do something with a, then b,
then c" is maintained.

There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
cut around that.

-Ed

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/23/91)

In article <659@quad.sialis.com> dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) writes:
>In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>>I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
>>into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
>>	cat a | b | c
>>is entirely equivalent in result to:
>>	b < a | c
>
>The latter may be functional equivalent, but it's not nearly as
>readable to my eyes.  The "path" by which the data "travels"
>starts in the middle of the command line, then jumps backwards to
>the start before leap-frogging forward to the end.  On the other
>hand, using cat(1) to feed the start of a pipeline gives you a
>nice "front-to-back" data path which is more readily apparent at
>the viewer's first glance.  (In my opinion, of course.)
>
>--
> \\         David Sandberg         \     ,=,       ,=,           \\
> //      dts@quad.sialis.com       /     | |uadric `=,ystems     //
> \\  uunet!umn-cs!sialis!quad!dts  \     `=\       `='           \\

If your into speed, use method 2.  If your into pretty, use method 1.
Method 1 creates an extra unnecessary process.  Of course, in the
case of viewing gif->pbm files, it's not very significant since the
conversions take so long anyway.

To save time viewing your GIF files, why not just keep them stored
as PBM files.  Then everytime you want to view one of them, its ready
to go..

% giftoppm filename.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm > filename.pbm
% pbmto3b1 filename.pbm
--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (02/24/91)

In <843@argon.UUCP> ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:

> >	cat a | b | c
> >
> >is entirely equivalent in result to:
> >
> >	b < a | c

(And, as Bruce Lilly recently observed, it's also equivalent to

	< a b | c

which David might like better, since it preserves his left-to-right
ordering.

> There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
> process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
> cut around that.

I guess it was the performance cost that concerned me most - it just
requires an extra process and takes system buffers unnecessarily.
What's this about a "smart shell"?  I've never heard of a shell that
optimizes commands.  It seems inherantly very difficult to recognize
that the two commands listed above are equivalent, since it requires
a knowledge of what cat(1) does.  What shell are we talking about here?

Actually, this discussion probably doesn't belong in the unix-pc news-
groups, but I appreciate everyone's tolerance.  And now we return you
to your regular programming...  :-)

Gary
--

kennii@wybbs.mi.org (Kenn Booth II) (02/25/91)

In article <843@argon.UUCP>, ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
> In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> >I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
> >into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
> >
> >	cat a | b | c
> >
> >is entirely equivalent in result to:
> >
> >	b < a | c
>
> That's correct, but notationally, setting up a long pipeline using
> only pipes is, for some people, more intuitive than throwing a re-
> direction in there, since the order "do something with a, then b,
> then c" is maintained.
>
> There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
> process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
> cut around that.

I find it easiest just to save files as "file.x.y" as in "file.2.5" for
file 2 of 5... then, at a glance of my directory, I can tell if they are missing
anything... then, do a:

cat file.* | uudecode | zoo -test *.zoo

will combine them, decode, and test the .zoo archive it leaves when done
(assuming it uses .zoo... I leave it off when done...)

(note... the above example probably won't work on systems that don't always
keep the directory in alphabetical order...)

Kenn "Jazz" Booth II -- Micro-Data Consultants

[jazz@eurynome.grand-rapids.mi.us] [...!uunet!mailrus!eurynome!jazz]
[kennii@wybbs.mi.org] [...!uunet!mailrus!sharkey!wybbs!kennii]
[jazz@entropy.UUCP] [...!uunet!mailrus!{eurynome|wybbs}!entropy!jazz]

ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) (02/26/91)

In article <996@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <843@argon.UUCP> ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
>> There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
>> process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
>> cut around that.
>
>What's this about a "smart shell"?  I've never heard of a shell that
>optimizes commands.  It seems inherantly very difficult to recognize
>that the two commands listed above are equivalent, since it requires
>a knowledge of what cat(1) does.  What shell are we talking about here?

The Korn Shell has subsumed several common commands as shell builtins.
I stand corrected on one point - cat isn't one of them, but echo and
test are, among others.  Yes, it does have knowledge about what those
commands do.  The shell decides whether to perform any task either
inline, in a subshell, or in a subprocess, depending upon what would
be most optimal.

-Ed

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/26/91)

I'm curious ...

Is there a way to SCAN pictures (via your typical scanner) into the 3B1?

I'm interested in scanning some photos, etc... and in turn creating
GIF files...

Please let me know if it's possible.  I assume too that it would require
special software to do this... wonder if any has been written?

Thanks!

Forrie
--

Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP
                    |          <email paths>             |
CREATIVE CONNECTIONS|  ...uunet!zinn!eci!morwyn!forrie   |Graphic Illustration
                   \___ PO Box 1541 - Dover, NH  03820 ___/