[comp.sys.3b1] P5.1 upgrade

zafar@eng.umd.edu (Sohail Zafar) (02/28/91)

Hi everyone,
    Being a unixpc owner I regularly read the news on the network.  I am a
little confused regarding the P5.1 upgrade.  It seems that Brian Botton has
a PAL and with some other hardware mods one can upgrade to P5.1.  In the FAQ
it says that if one needs to have two hard drives then Brian's upgrade is
not recomended.  Presumably John Milton sell a kit too to upgrade to P5.1
which enables one to put 2 drives.
What my question is does Brian's kit support 2 drives?
If not then everything is clear but if it does then why should one buy John's
kit and not Brian's.  The difference between the two kits is not clear to me.

Another question which I have is how much does John's kit cost and how to
order it.

Thanks for the help.

Sohail Zafar.
(301)-927-7542 -home
zafar@phoenix.src.umd.edu

botton@i88.isc.com (Brian D. Botton) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.191655.25444@ra.src.umd.edu> zafar@eng.umd.edu (Sohail Zafar) writes:

>Hi everyone,
>    Being a unixpc owner I regularly read the news on the network.  I am a
>little confused regarding the P5.1 upgrade.  It seems that Brian Botton has
>a PAL and with some other hardware mods one can upgrade to P5.1.  In the FAQ
>it says that if one needs to have two hard drives then Brian's upgrade is
>not recomended.  Presumably John Milton sell a kit too to upgrade to P5.1
>which enables one to put 2 drives.
>What my question is does Brian's kit support 2 drives?
>If not then everything is clear but if it does then why should one buy John's
>kit and not Brian's.  The difference between the two kits is not clear to me.

  The P5.1 upgrade allows you to use a drive with more then 8 heads.  The
operative words here are "a drive".  To access a second drive you must have
either the instructions that Lenny and Gil worked up, or the interface board
from John.  The instructions from Lenny and Gil show you how to build a small
perf-board that includes the equivalent of the P5.1.  John's board needs most
of the P5.1 wires to be run.  Neither of their kits needs the P5.1 PAL.
  If you need support for 2 drives, then go to Lenny and Gil, or John.  If
all you need for now is extra heads, the P5.1 kit that I sell will work for
you.  If later on you need the 2nd hard disk, then the P5.1 upgrade neither
helps or hurts you.

--
   _][_n_n___i_i ________  *******		Brian D. Botton