[comp.sys.3b1] 3b1 tape drive blues

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/22/91)

I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).

The green light never comes on.

Since the controller seems to be ok, does anybody know where I can
check for problems in the drive.  I already made sure the ribbon
cable was connected ok.  I noticed there were some jumpers in there too.
However, these should be ok since this tape drive was on a unix-pc
before I bought it.

I believe someone mentioned in the past that the controller was the
expensive/difficult to find item.  How much does the AT&T drive cost?
Could I buy a cheaper similar one?

I tried booting and accessing the tape drive but I get the errors
still.  I loaded the driver but this is moot since it gives the error
when running the diagnostic diskette.

Any help? I have the worst freakin luck with this machine.

Thanks

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb22.062723.333@texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com writes:

>I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
>I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).

	It won't be ready until retension is complete.

>The green light never comes on.

	The light should come on when the controller has the tape locked in
the drive.  If the light doesn't come on, the drive may not be getting the
control signal from the controller, but it normally isnt' sent that signal
until it says that it is ready.

	One possiblity is that the edge connector on the back of the drive
may be upside down.  (It should be keyed, so that could not happen, but it
also normally doesn't have a ribbon cable going to the computer.)  The cable
from the back of the controller card to the back of the drive housing is
DB-37 at each end, with round cable connecting the two.  If this has been
replaced by ribbon cable, all pins should be connected except the three
closest to the pin-1 end of the DB-37.  Make sure that the ribbon cable has
not been flipped over.  The edge with the stripe (wire 1) should be at the
same end of both connectors.  The run from the DB-37 at the back of the
drive chassis to the drive should have the edge of the cable that is NEAR
the pin-1 end of the DB-37 connected to pin 1 on the drive.  If things are
reversed ANYWHERE, you won't have proper communications with your drive.
(of course, TWO reversals could work out right, if you are lucky.

>Since the controller seems to be ok, does anybody know where I can
>check for problems in the drive.  I already made sure the ribbon
>cable was connected ok.  I noticed there were some jumpers in there too.
>However, these should be ok since this tape drive was on a unix-pc
>before I bought it.

	Did you get everything in a single purchase?  (Tape drive, housing,
cable, controller, etc?)

>I believe someone mentioned in the past that the controller was the
>expensive/difficult to find item.  How much does the AT&T drive cost?
>Could I buy a cheaper similar one?

	The hamfest season is getting started (at least here in the
Washington D.C. area, Vienna VA has its "Winterfest" tomorrow, Sunday the
24th).  Hamfests are good places to look for something like this.  I have
picked up several similar drives for very little money in the past year.
What I need is more controllers. :-)

>I tried booting and accessing the tape drive but I get the errors
>still.  I loaded the driver but this is moot since it gives the error
>when running the diagnostic diskette.
>
>Any help? I have the worst freakin luck with this machine.

	You don't give any idea of your physical location.  If you are
nearby, maybe we can get together and test the parts against my system.

>Thanks

	You're welcome.
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (02/26/91)

From article <1991Feb22.062723.333@texrex.uucp>, by rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler):

> I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
> I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
> then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
> in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
> phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).
>
> The green light never comes on.

Let me add my experience and ask for the tape experts to jump in  here on
the net.

I have one tape controller/tape drive and a 7300 converted to a 3b1 (machine
A) as well as a real 3b1 (machine B).  A friend has a 3b1 also, with the
hardware patches to run a second disk (machine C).  Now on machines A and
C the floppy tape works just fine.  It runs through the diagnostics on both
and does all tape functions just fine (tapecpio, formatting from diagnostics,
etc.)

On machine B the tape drive behaves as described by Rex above.  In other words,
the same controller, tape drive and cable that works fine in two machines
fails in my third machine!  I've even changed out the CPU and ROMS between
machine A and machine B with no luck.   Machine B, by the way, passes all
standard diagnostics but fails the floppy tape diagnostics.

Again, the machine that fails will pass the controller diagnostics and then
tell me that tape drive is not ready.  I'm sure both Rex and I are wondering
what signal is used to tell the 3b1 that the tape drive is ready and what
possible explanation there would be that could explain the above situation.

Rex, it may be that there is nothing wrong with your cable, tape drive
or controller board.  Know anyone nearby who would let you use your floppy
tape on their machine?
--
	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (02/26/91)

In article <3402@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
>From article <1991Feb22.062723.333@texrex.uucp>, by rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler):
>>
>> I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>> then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>> in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>> phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).
>
>Let me add my experience and ask for the tape experts to jump in  here on
>the net.
>
>etc.)
>
>On machine B the tape drive behaves as described by Rex above.  In other words,
>the same controller, tape drive and cable that works fine in two machines
>fails in my third machine!  I've even changed out the CPU and ROMS between
>machine A and machine B with no luck.   Machine B, by the way, passes all
>standard diagnostics but fails the floppy tape diagnostics.
>
>Again, the machine that fails will pass the controller diagnostics and then
>tell me that tape drive is not ready.  I'm sure both Rex and I are wondering
>what signal is used to tell the 3b1 that the tape drive is ready and what
>possible explanation there would be that could explain the above situation.
>
>Rex, it may be that there is nothing wrong with your cable, tape drive
>or controller board.  Know anyone nearby who would let you use your floppy
>tape on their machine?
>--
>	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
>                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet
>	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

This seems very weird but I'm coming to expect it.
I think I know someone who will let me test it on his system.

I was playing around with it tonight and i stuck another tape in,
waited for the retensioning phase to complete and then THIS time
the light came on and the latch locked.  I still wasn't able to
access the tape, I got the same error icon at the top of the screen
telling me the drive wasn't ready.   I was hopeful there for a second
but no luck.

Computer Horizons (Thanks Little David!!) offered to have a look at it
but I will try to do some testing locally first.

P.S.  John, I've been trying to reach you via email on another topic,
      I used the address in your sig but I haven't heard from you yet.
      The mail didn't bounce.  Have you received it?

--

merv@gpstwr.UUCP (Merv Graham) (03/01/91)

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:

>I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
>I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).

I'm not sure this is the same problem as I had, BUT I had the same
symptoms when I tried to use a tape cartridge other than the one
(and only one) recommended by AT&T.  I forget the cartridge number
recomended ( I'm on another machine now).  The system appears to check
the tape size during the retensioning phase and if it doesn't match it
quits with an irrelevant error message.

Hope this helps.  Merv Graham

--
Merv Graham                 |     gpstwr!merv@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com
Graham-Patten Systems, Inc. | or: tektronix!gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com!gpstwr!merv

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (03/01/91)

From article <1991Feb26.030455.6985@ceilidh.beartrack.com>, by dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols):
> In article <3402@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
>
> 	Did you check the power supply voltages on machine B?  What are the
> different machines' rev levels on the cpu boards?  Rex, how about yours?

I swapped power supplies between the two machines as well as setting each
about a month prior to swapping.  I don't have the high quality VOM I used
to set them back then, that's why I swapped the power supplies.  As near
I can tell, with my cheap analog VOM, the voltages look as I set them
(5.2 and 12.4).

Rex has asked me to open my machine "one more time" and share with him the
rev levels.  (Remember, I swapped the ROMS and CPU between the working
machines last time I opened the case).  I'll do that and let Rex summarize
the rev levels.

Should we go private with this discussion or is the rest of comp.sys.3b1
interested in hearing about the problem?

Thanks, by the way, for the signals on the ribbon cable.  I'm fairly certain,
however, that they are asserted--else how could the other two machines
use the same controller, cable and drive successfully?

> 	Sounds like my situation, where the ethernet card works fine in my
> 7300, and one of the two 3b1s, but gives frequent kernal painics (I know I
> mispelled panic, it was a typo, but I'll leave it, it seems so apt :-) (Does
> that quailfy as a Freudian typo? :-)

As Rex put it, "these machines can be SO picky."

> 	Good luck with your machines
Thanks!
--

thad@btr.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/01/91)

In article <724@gpstwr.UUCP> merv@gpstwr.UUCP (Merv Graham) writes:
>rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
>[...]
>I'm not sure this is the same problem as I had, BUT I had the same
>symptoms when I tried to use a tape cartridge other than the one
>(and only one) recommended by AT&T.  I forget the cartridge number
>recomended ( I'm on another machine now).  The system appears to check
>the tape size during the retensioning phase and if it doesn't match it
>quits with an irrelevant error message.

The specific, recommended tape is a 3M DC-600A.

The Sony QD-600A also works fine, but Sony chintzes and supplies only 600'
of tape on the spools whereas 3M places 620' on the spools.

If you attempt to use a brand different from either of the foregoing, be
sure the tape is certified for 12,500 ftpi and 550 oersteds.

If the tape manufacturer doesn't supply that information for the tape of
interest, don't use that tape.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]