[comp.sys.3b1] 3b1 motherboard question

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (03/03/91)

On the rear right corner of my motherboard (underneath the metal shielding)
there is a sticker with the words "test 5" on it.  Has anyone else seen
anything like this?  Or did I get "lucky" and get some sort of "beta-
motherboard"?

Anyone know what it means?

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar3.034413.649@texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com writes:
>On the rear right corner of my motherboard (underneath the metal shielding)
>there is a sticker with the words "test 5" on it.  Has anyone else seen
>anything like this?  Or did I get "lucky" and get some sort of "beta-
>motherboard"?
>
>Anyone know what it means?

As I've stated before (as a result of researching the "DRUN Patch" for
WD2010 usage), there are TWO (2) "thingies" which characterize each 3B1
motherboard:

1)	the board schematic level.  This is a number, in the copper, near
	the left rear portion of the topside of the motherboard.  The "good"
	numbers will have, as their last parts, any of:

		-00222-00
		-00225-00
		-00230-00

	A "bad" (obsolete) board will be, for example, a -00216-00.
	I have seen stickers placed over the "copper" number which further
	revise the board (perhaps due to one of the inner layers being
	revises) along the lines of -00236-00, etc.

2)	the board revision level ("Rev.Level") with respect to the board
	schematic level, as a sticker near the volume control bearing the
	legend, for example, "REV. D" or "REV. C" or "REV. J", etc.

	A "REV.C" on the -00222-00 board is NOT THE SAME as a "REV.C" on
	a -00225-00 board.

Part of the frustrations during my researching the "DRUN Patch" was not
realizing (at first) BOTH numbers are required to "identify" a given board.

As far as your "TEST 5" sticker goes, looks like simply a QA sticker and is
nothing to be concerned about.

The only time you should be sweating icicles is if your motherboard bears the
dreaded -00216-00 schematic level!  :-)

Thad

P.S.  I hope this posting gets out; some 20+ postings I did between the
hours of 1AM and 7AM Friday, March 1, seems to have gotten lost here at BTR
during (or because of) the time when each posting was greeted by the phrase:

	"Your posting is spooled for later processing."

Sheesh, b-news.  Anyone know of any bugs in that regards?  On SunOS?

So if anyone thinks I've been silent recently, I have NOT.  And I didn't
save copies of what I posted (on many subjects).  :-(

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]