[comp.sys.3b1] Drawing Programs, Printers, and TeX

motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) (03/03/91)

I use TeX a lot (Andy Fyfe's DVI previewer, and a HP Deskjet
printer).  What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
output) with the tex output.

Is there any way to do this, without a major hack on the dvi
driver, and/or has anyone already done something like this?
Also, are are there any drawing tools available for MGR?

Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

pschmidt@athena.mit.edu (Peter H. Schmidt) (03/04/91)

In article <5237@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>I use TeX a lot (Andy Fyfe's DVI previewer, and a HP Deskjet
>printer).  What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
>even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
>output) with the tex output.

With the latest version of gnuplot (2.1?), you can specify LaTeX as an output
device, and include the file in your documents - looks great!  It uses a lot
of TeX memory, though.  If you need to plot more than one curve per graph,
you'll need the "big tex" off OSU.  The sc spreadsheet which Lenny got onto
OSU can also produce TeX or LaTeX table output.  That's also very nice.

BUT, I'd like a 3b1 program that can do charts as well as functional plots.
I've eard rumors of a gnuplot modification called fchart.  Does anybody else
have any info. on this?

Regards -- Peter

--
Peter H. Schmidt	| ...mit-eddie!winter!pschmidt
3 Colonial Village, #10	| winter!pschmidt@mit-eddie.mit.edu

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (03/05/91)

From article <1991Mar4.005149.4516@athena.mit.edu>, by pschmidt@athena.mit.edu (Peter H. Schmidt):

> BUT, I'd like a 3b1 program that can do charts as well as functional plots.
> I've eard rumors of a gnuplot modification called fchart.  Does anybody else
> have any info. on this?
>
> Regards -- Peter

You can pick up my gplotlib from cs.duke.edu--it has bar charting as
an example.  For fchart you'll want to send mail to Piotr Filip Sawicki.
His address is fs@uwasa.fi (Finland).  Note that I have his first and
maybe only usenet posting of fchart and I don't see a note anywhere
talking about an ftp site in his work.

I also must admit to not having time or interest in unloading and
building the software.  If you are really interested and can't reach
Piotr (which is your first choice) send me mail and I'll turn the
code over to you.

--
	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet