[comp.sys.3b1] Perl 3.0.44 Blues

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (03/02/91)

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded to my initial inquiry of
compiling problems with Perl pl44...

WELL!  Here's another one for you...

"aline 175: branch offset is too remote"

Got that from trying to complile with gcc without the -O option...

I'm stuck.  And personally don't understand why Lwall didn't see
this and why he made the code so big to begin with... (?)

Any help?  Well my config (for the record) is this:  2meg RAM
and 67meg HD.  Not too bad, and I certainly have never encountered
these problems before...

Hope this can get resolved.  Hmmm, maybe I might end up asking someone
to uuencode and send me their Perl 3.0.44 executable... ((ha ha))

Thanks all!

Forrie

--
--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (03/05/91)

In article <73@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>Thanks to EVERYONE who responded to my initial inquiry of
>compiling problems with Perl pl44...
>
>WELL!  Here's another one for you...
>
>"aline 175: branch offset is too remote"
>
>Got that from trying to complile with gcc without the -O option...
>
>I'm stuck.  And personally don't understand why Lwall didn't see
>this and why he made the code so big to begin with... (?)
>
>Any help?  Well my config (for the record) is this:  2meg RAM
>and 67meg HD.  Not too bad, and I certainly have never encountered
>these problems before...
>
>Hope this can get resolved.  Hmmm, maybe I might end up asking someone
>to uuencode and send me their Perl 3.0.44 executable... ((ha ha))
>
>Thanks all!
>
>Forrie
>
>--
>--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
>Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP
>                    |  ...uunet!eci!zinn!morwyn!forrie   |
>CREATIVE CONNECTIONS|...uunet!unhd!unhtel!morwyn!forrie  |Graphic Illustration
>                   \___ PO Box 1541 - Dover, NH  03820 ___/

Simple solution:  DON'T USE GCC!

Perl 3.044 compiles and runs just fine using the native cc (disguised as
shcc to ensure using the shared libraries).  Still, don't use -O on
eval.c!
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |