[comp.sys.3b1] comp.sources.3b1

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (02/20/91)

An open general request:  When submitting source to
comp.sources.3b1, please consider the possibility that someone
won't have any idea as to what it is.  Please include a brief
description at the top of part 1 of n that describes what the
code that follows, actually does.

--
Robert J. Granvin \\\\\\\\                            rjg@sialis.com : INTERNET
University of Minnesota \\\              ...uunet!rosevax!sialis!rjg : UUCP

jacalca@PacBell.COM (John A Calcaterra) (02/21/91)

In article <326@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>An open general request:  When submitting source to
>comp.sources.3b1, please consider the possibility that someone
>won't have any idea as to what it is.  Please include a brief
>description at the top of part 1 of n that describes what the
>code that follows, actually does.
>
>--
>Robert J. Granvin \\\\\\\\                            rjg@sialis.com : INTERNET
>University of Minnesota \\\              ...uunet!rosevax!sialis!rjg : UUCP
>School of Statistics \\\\\\\             rjg%sialis.com@uunet.uu.net : BITNET
>                          Cleared by Network Censors

Ffffiiirrsstt ttimmmee ccaller ,please bbbbbbeaar wwith.

I see that and raise it two   :-)

I'm a at the bottom of the skill level getting sources up and running. I've
put Cheapdraw (cdraw) and Roledexfile (rf) in use thru lots of trial and
error. I also have a bunch of scarffed sources, some tried and failed,
waiting in the wings.

My raise to the "open general request(s)" is:

 - to include clues to the code, items, things other than come with a stock
   3b1, that posted source depends on.

 - They could be short strings referenced to the likes of a FAQ (facts)..
   Only call it Ferquently Used Code (FU_). Mmmmm SCRATCH THAT! How about
   Commonly Used Code (CO_)? Geesh, Somebody lend a hand here, __________.

Any way an 'Up Front identifier' that is expanded in the 'FAQ' look alike.

Example - the Berkley stuff.

Now seeun how asbestos isn't enviornmently safe, I'm using teflon.

	So lite up the torches!

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/22/91)

In article <11381@pbhya.PacBell.COM> jacalca@PacBell.COM (JA "Cal" Calcaterra) writes:
>In article <326@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>An open general request:  When submitting source to
>>comp.sources.3b1, please consider the possibility that someone
>>won't have any idea as to what it is.  Please include a brief
>>description at the top of part 1 of n that describes what the
>>code that follows, actually does.

	[ ... ]

>I see that and raise it two   :-)

	[ ... ]

>My raise to the "open general request(s)" is:
>
> - to include clues to the code, items, things other than come with a stock
>   3b1, that posted source depends on.

	Add to that a note in the notes with the sources archives on osu-cis
which suggest other packages which should be snarfed at the same time to
complete a project.

	e.g.  a note in the discription of the package for making a bootable
		floppy-based system which recognizes the floppy-tape drive.
		Once you get it, you discover that you should have gotten
		the "kern" package, (which I already had), and the
		"config.sh.Z", which I did not have.  Since I have to
		do my ftp access during work hours, and my 3b1/7300 work
		during home hours, this adds an extra day (if things go
		well) to the time needed to assemble such a package into a
		working form.

		Also, perhaps a note at the beginning indicating that Doug
		Gwyn's 'ndir' package is useful, the 'alloca.s' should be
		present if you're going to be building things from GNU,
		etc.  I've learned a lot of this in porting code to my old
		v7 machine (still 68000), and the unix-pc is a LOT easier to
		port code to, but still...

	Thanks
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Feb22.032323.10265@ceilidh.beartrack.com>, dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
> > - to include clues to the code, items, things other than come with a stock
> >   3b1, that posted source depends on.
>
> 	Add to that a note in the notes with the sources archives on osu-cis
> which suggest other packages which should be snarfed at the same time to
> complete a project.

> Donald Nichols (DoN.) <dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com>

I dunno, I suspect what we need is a standard map, not one for each project.
If I'm no longer sure of all the modifications I've added to my 3b1's
hardware and software, I may make a mistake when specifying what you need
to run/compile the stuff.  Large projects choke on this kind of activity;
at least some good stuff gets out the door for the 3b1, and nobody's
sinking money to pay for development overhead.

If somebody wants to volunteer to spend the 100-hours or more to
organize, document, and make dependency graphs for the user and other
generated software available on osu-cis and other places, I'll cheer
them on.  But without an economic incentive, who has time to do it?

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak