[comp.sys.3b1] mystery boards

todd@appmag.com (Todd Day) (02/23/91)

I have inherited many boards for the UNIXPC that don't
have any documentation nor do they have any support
software.  Perhaps you can help me out.

A card with a 15 pin connector.  I think it may be an
ethernet card.  Has large ceramic chip from AMD -
AM7990DC

A card with a 37 pin connector.  Suspect it is for
floppy tape control.  Has 2 chips from Vitalec,
plus another that says VC2100 on it.

I also have two 0.5 MB RAM boards and an unpopulated
combo board that is missing one crystal and possibly
one socketed chip (position K11 - what is it?).

So, can you identify the unknown boards?  Also, where
might I get a copy of the software that goes with them?
I am particularly interested on any info on the ether
net board.

--
Todd Day  |  todd@appmag.com  |  appmag!todd@hub.ucsb.edu
		  ^^^^^^^^^^ coming soon!

todd@appmag.com (Todd Day) (02/25/91)

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:

%	Which revision of the board do you have?  I have examples of two
%here, revision F (0K ram, two serial ports) with a 74123 at K11, two copies
%of revision L (socketed for full ram, two serial ports, both
%non-functional), with a dip-package crystal oscillator 2.4576 MHZ, mfr Dale,
%XO-438.

It appears to be a REV C board.  It is socketed for full RAM plus it has
two serial ports, one which I have verified is functional.  The other one
is missing a 2.4576 MHz crystal (there are supposed to be two on this board).
I suspect the missing socketed chip is the 74123 since pins other than 7,8,
and 14 have traces running to them.

%	The ethernet software takes up 5 floppys, and SHOULD come with a
%separate manual.  (You NEED at least one copy of the manual.

Ugggh.  Well, I don't seem to have inherited the floppies or the manual.
However, right now, I mainly just want to check out the board and see
if it even works in the first place.  Is there a diagnostic floppy for
it?  Could I get someone to mail me the diagnostic via email or floppy?
Also, what is required to connect it to a 'thin' ethernet system?

%	Did you get more than one of the ethernet boards and/or the tape
%boards?

Nope.  However, I have a friend who might be able to 'find' some more
stuff.  I'll check into it.

I have a DOS-73 card complete with all manuals and software that I bought
some time ago.  I haven't used it that much lately.  What is the current
going price for the beast?  I might part with it for the right price...

--

ward@unix386.Convergent.COM (Ward Griffiths) (03/06/91)

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:

>In article <1991Feb22.201817.2642@appmag.com> appmag!todd@hub.ucsb.edu writes:

>>A card with a 37 pin connector.  Suspect it is for
>>floppy tape control.  Has 2 chips from Vitalec,
>>plus another that says VC2100 on it.

>	Looks like the floppy tape controller, I don't have any out to
>verify chip designations, but it is the only thing that I know of with the
>DB-37 connector.

This also might be the QIC controller board, though
of course, those are few and far between and the
compatible drive mechanisms are even less common.

I'd MUCH rather be compatible with the rest of the
world than with the 3B2/3xx.  If only the QIC tape
wasn't so slow: takes almost as much time to write
60 Mb as the floppy tape does to write 23 Mb.  Or
otherwise, about eight times as long as it takes
anything else to write 60 Mb.

--
          Ward Griffiths, Unisys NCG aka Convergent Technologies                The people that make Unisys' official opinions get paid more.  A LOT more.
===========================================================================          To Hell with "Only One Earth"!  Try "At Least One Solar System"!

If I say love, I'll sound sentimental, and if I say sex, I'll sound cynical.    I'll call it pair bonding and sound scientific.         The Golden Apple