[comp.sys.3b1] UNIX

k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com (The QRPer) (03/02/91)

Does anyone know of a good, cheap, reputable place for getting
UNIX(r) PCs or UNIX(r) PC components repaired?  I once had the
address and phone number for a Small Computer Repair Company.
Do they still exist?  If so, anybody have the address and phone
number?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob Schreibmaier K2PH  | UUCP: att!oblivion!k2ph or k2ph@oblivion.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories | ARPA: k2ph%oblivion@att.arpa
Lincroft, N.J. 07738   | ICBM: 40o21'N, 74o8'W

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (03/05/91)

In <1991Mar1.210914.1606@cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com
	(The QRPer) writes:

> Does anyone know of a good, cheap, reputable place for getting
> UNIX(r) PCs or UNIX(r) PC components repaired?  I once had the
> address and phone number for a Small Computer Repair Company.
> Do they still exist?  If so, anybody have the address and phone
> number?

The following article is a year old.  Maybe Thad can tell us if they're
still in business.

Note:  Thad's address is now "thad@public.btr.com".

Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att
Subject: New repair co. for 6300,6300+,7300,3B1,UNIXPC (Commercial Msg)
Date: 28 Feb 90 10:43:47 GMT

WARNING: Commercial message.  If you think this is an inapproprate posting
(I don't) then flame me privately via email.  If you can suggest ANY other
way to publicize this necessary info, I'd like to hear about it as there are
MANY people owning/using AT&T computers who need this info.

By the time you read this, the AT&T San Leandro (California) repair site will
have closed its doors (Wednesday, 28-Feb-1990).

As many of you know, that site was the world-wide repair center for AT&T's
6300, 6300+, 7300, 3B1 and UNIXPC computers.

The business of that repair center has been assumed by a new venture named
``A Small Computer Repair Company'' (ASCRC) and the repair work will be
continued by the guy who was doing it at AT&T, Ben Wollberg.  Several others
(myself included) will help with startup financing and locating parts and
supplies and doing other errands since we don't want people left in the lurch.

The previous pricing structure will be maintained and all types of repairs
AND upgrades will be available.  Among the types of services provided by
ASCRC are monitor repairs, HD repairs and/or exchanges, etc.   Most (if not
all) the existing parts inventory has been acquired by ASCRC, and services for
everything up to and including complete motherboard replacements for any of
the above listed systems are available.

Everyone involved with ASCRC has full-time "day" jobs; ASCRC's activities are
evening- and weekend-based.  ASCRC's charter is to help people maintain and
upgrade their systems properly; in one sense, this is a larger continuation
of what we do for others in the user group meetings (as those who've seen my
hardware demos will attest).  ASCRC's goal is to also turn a "modest" profit
to compensate for parts, time and expertise, hence my prefixing this posting
with the comment "Commercial message."

For more information and/or to arrange servicing, contact:

	A Small Computer Repair Company
	5762 Dichondra Place
	Newark, CA  94560

or call either:

	(415) 430-9226, or
	(415) 793-6980

If you need further assistance, contact me via email.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]
--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

fgh@polari.UUCP (Frank Higgins) (03/06/91)

In article <1008@gnosys.svle.ma.us>, gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> In <1991Mar1.210914.1606@cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com
> 	(The QRPer) writes:
>
> > Does anyone know of a good, cheap, reputable place for getting
> > UNIX(r) PCs or UNIX(r) PC components repaired?  I once had the
> > address and phone number for a Small Computer Repair Company.
> > Do they still exist?  If so, anybody have the address and phone
> > number?
Whew! Getting this far with no instructions is success.

Good luck to ASCRC referred to in the article. But, for an alternative
in case it is needed, AT&T still operates a computer repair center
covering all of the computers mentioned (6300, 6300+, 7300/3b1)
at:
                  AT&T Computer Repair Center
                  12802 NE 125th Way
                  Kirkland, WA 98034
                  206/821-0641
Before the "unbundling", it was a Teletype Corp Repr Cntr.

gtbutle@PacBell.COM (Gary T. Butler) (03/08/91)

In article <3465@polari.UUCP>, fgh@polari.UUCP (Frank Higgins) writes:
> In article <1008@gnosys.svle.ma.us>, gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> > In <1991Mar1.210914.1606@cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph@cbnewsj.att.com
> > 	(The QRPer) writes:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a good, cheap, reputable place for getting
> > > UNIX(r) PCs or UNIX(r) PC components repaired?  I once had the
> > > address and phone number for a Small Computer Repair Company.
> > > Do they still exist?  If so, anybody have the address and phone
> > > number?
> Whew! Getting this far with no instructions is success.
>
> Good luck to ASCRC referred to in the article. But, for an alternative
> in case it is needed, AT&T still operates a computer repair center
> covering all of the computers mentioned (6300, 6300+, 7300/3b1)
> at:
>                   AT&T Computer Repair Center
>                   12802 NE 125th Way
>                   Kirkland, WA 98034
>                   206/821-0641
> Before the "unbundling", it was a Teletype Corp Repr Cntr.

A Small Computer Repair is still alive and well. I am involved with the
group.

We repair or exchange boards for the 6300 line of computers and the 7300/3B1
UNIX computers.

I would like to hear what the prices are that AT&T charges for repair in the
Kirkland, Wa. location. I still think we have the best prices.

From  past experience our prices have been much more competitive for the
individual customer.

One of the major problems is that companies would rather deal with AT&T than
this small part time outfit.

Our turn around time is usually 2 days for most repairs. We will do a board
exchange with you but our advantage is that we will try to repair the board
before we exchange because most times this is less costly to the customer.
The cost of repair is never more than the exchange price in any case.

There are some things we just can't repair for what ever reason but the
price of replacement, not exchange, from AT&T is so high the customer
is in a bind. We just had one where the DOS coprocessor board showed
parity errors. We replaced memory and other chips but never found the
problem. AT&T wanted over $900 for a replacement and told us there is no
exchange which means they don't even reapir the boards.

Ben Wollberg does the majority of the repair work. He is the person who
worked at AT&T up until Feb. 1990 when the AT&T Repair Store went out
of business. He was doing the repair work for AT&T at the time for the
6300 and 7300/3B1 line as well as other hardware.

I know this sounds very commercial and I have tried to stay of the net
with any postings because of this, but I thought this was a good time to
say something about the fact that we are still here and working.

We do try to help people over the phone as much as possible and maybe even
point them to someone else who might have what they want.

I do read the net daily and see most things that go on as I am interested
in the postings. I do have my own 3B1 and that is the reason I wanted Ben
to continue doing repair, so that I would have someplace to get my system
repaired.

Hope this answers some questions, if not please feel free to send me
email or call me at either one of the numbers on this posting.
--
Gary T. Butler	Work (415) 823-2374 Home (415) 430-9226

Work E-Mail address {bellcore,sun,ames,}pacbell!pbhyf!gtbutle
HOME E-Mail address {bellcore,sun,ames,}pacbell!blbsfc!gtb
Newsgroups: ?
Subject: Re: UNIX(r) PC Repairs