[comp.sys.3b1] Separating monitor from CPU?

staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) (03/09/91)

Has anyone tried disconnecting the monitor from a 3b1 box in order to
use it on a monitor pedestal?  (or for any other reason, actually.)
How'd it work?

Ken

---
staffan@serum.kodak.com

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.162643.11785@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
>Has anyone tried disconnecting the monitor from a 3b1 box in order to
>use it on a monitor pedestal?  (or for any other reason, actually.)
>How'd it work?

	I haven't actually tried it, but if you do, and are considering
placing it at more than the existing cable's length away from the left side
of the computer (where the cable plugs in), there are two consideratins to
keep in mind.

1)	The cable should be shielded, and the shield should be connected to
	the chassis of the 3b1, and to the shield of the existing cable.

2)	You should consider using a fairly heavy gage wire, probably from a
	mimimum of 22ga for short extensions, to perhaps 16ga for in excess
	of three feet.  The power for the monitor comes through the cable,
	at a relatively low voltage (12V).  Longer runs would result in the
	monitor attempting to operate from lower voltage, resulting in
	distorted screen images, and possible damage to the circuitry.
	(Also, longer cables would increase capacative loading, which would
	lower bandwidth, smearing the nice, crisp video.

	You could avoid the problems of the power drop in the cable by
	placing the monitor on a base which includes a 12V power supply,
	whose input ac is switched by a solid-state relay controlled by the
	12V from the computer (so that the monitor is switched off when the
	computer is, avoiding possible damage to the phosphor.

	Let us know how things turn out.

	Good luck
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564