[comp.sys.3b1] TONS of unix pc stuff for sale or trade!!

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (02/24/91)

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to gain, financially, by posting
this.  I, as a fellow unix-pc hacker, was excited to find
a source for the increasingly-rare hardware and manuals
for our nifty machines.  I have seen other postings with
information on where to find parts and equipment, and
have been extremely grateful for the information.  And so,
with that out of the way....

I just talked to a really cool lady named Vicki at a place
called "Computer Horizons" in ohio (seems to be the unix-pc
capital of the world, doesn't it??).  She has loads and loads
of unix pc stuff for sale or trade, new and used, and she's
very interested in our net hacks.

She has:

Unix-pc's new in box (about 50 units), combo cards, ethernet
cards, motherboards, o/s disks, manuals (lots of them),
tape drives, chassis expansion boxes.

She is currently out of stock of voicepower boards and dos
cards, but when she has them, they both go for $250.  Very
reasonable.  She also buys used stuff.

Even if you have nothing to buy or sell just now, give her a call
at 1-800-227-2362 (Vicki) and have her send you a flyer.  It's
nice to know we can still get this stuff.

She knew nothing of the ohio-state archives or the net, or that
there was so much interest in the unix-pc still out there.  Let's
let her know we exist, and that the 3b1 ain't dead yet!!  She's
very interested in our mods and hacks, too.

				little david
--
Computer interfaces and user interfaces are as different as night and 1.

jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb23.211446.3821@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
>Even if you have nothing to buy or sell just now, give her a call
>at 1-800-227-2362 (Vicki) and have her send you a flyer.  It's
>nice to know we can still get this stuff.

 I just got off the phone with Vicki, and she said she's been buried
with calls from us Usenetter's (35 since 9 this morning).

The evidently buy and sell a large variety of stuff. Their price for
the floppy tape is $395, and combo boards are $195...

Can't wait for tax-refund time! (-;

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Feb25.202111.7354@isc.rit.edu>, jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:
> In article <1991Feb23.211446.3821@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
> >Even if you have nothing to buy or sell just now, give her a call
> >at 1-800-227-2362 (Vicki) and have her send you a flyer.  It's
> >nice to know we can still get this stuff.
> >

>  I just got off the phone with Vicki, and she said she's been buried
> with calls from us Usenetter's (35 since 9 this morning).
>
> The evidently buy and sell a large variety of stuff. Their price for
> the floppy tape is $395, and combo boards are $195...

Cheeze, doesn't anyone have any bad words about Computer Horizons :-) ?

I was considering replacing my system so I could run SVR4.  While
figuring finances, I considered selling my current system to help
defray the cost of the new system.  Now my max'ed out 3B1 (tape,
dos-73, populated combo, extra combo, etc.) has dropped in value
by 30 - 60 percent.

Cheeze, you might think this is a free enterprize system ;-(.

Seriously, CH is a good organization.  I've had two dealings with
them and both turned out well.  Just be sure you know what you are
getting and that it is complete.

My word of caution stems from one of the two deals that could have
turned out bad.  I had a 3B2 at work.  CH advertised used serial "ports"
cards at a very good price.  I ordered two, but they only had one in
stock.  They delivered one used card and one new, never opened card.

Fine!  Especially considering the used card was just that.  No docs.
The new card had the users manual AND a diskette of software that
had to be loaded onto the card firmware at boot time.  Without the
software, the cards were useless.

So, the upshot is "Buyer be knowledgable".  I wasn't and could have
been burned.  CH `might' have rectified the situation had I not had
the needed software.  I just don't know, they were not put to the
test.  Aside from that, they seem honest and good to deal with.

Recommended.

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (03/06/91)

In article <925@jonlab.UUCP> jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>test.  Aside from that, they seem honest and good to deal with.
>
>Recommended.

Right, ...and the fact that they are there, with (mostly, considering
the_past(TM)) earthly prices, makes it all the nicer to know... BTW,
the deliveries are within a week... usefull even in emergencies ;-)

-Mariusz
--
INET: Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430@compuserve.com

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Feb25.202111.7354@isc.rit.edu>, jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:
> In article <1991Feb23.211446.3821@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
[[ about Computer Horizons ]]
> >Even if you have nothing to buy or sell just now, give her a call
[...]
> >nice to know we can still get this stuff.
> >

> Can't wait for tax-refund time! (-;
>
> Jeff

	Having had replaced 0.5MB motherboard with a 2.0MB one, to all those
    that contemplate the same (the price is right, and not only):
	- order a 3B1 power supply with the board (lucky me, I did...
	  for a different reason ;-)), or (would that be possible?)
	  make sure that the new board supplies HD power connector
	  directly from the board, a'la PC 7300.
	The "larger" board has this connector pulled from the power
    supply, from where, on the 7300, one of the fans is driven.

	Speaking of which... is it because there's only one fan active
    (I conected the one on the PS side and taped the other opening)
    that it whizes on the "second gear"?  The whine is really anoying.
    Help.  Working on hardware is not my fort\'e, but I was even
    thinking about soldering the other fan where HD connector on the
    7300 went, so before I do something foolish, wreck havoc with
    noise (and posibly not achieve the needed result), someone tell
    me the easy solution ;-)  Thanks.

	On the upside: the OBM does not oscillate(sp?) "endlessly"
    as it did with the 7300 motherboard.

	BTW, Thad, if you're reading this, have you managed to work
    out the details in your outboard-white-big-monitor project?
    I'm very interested in doing the same (stuffing a motherboard
    into a separate box)... especially now... this "air blower" is
    ready for take-off.

    -Mariusz