[comp.sys.3b1] Help w/Unix-pc Clock battery

jim@melmac.umd.edu (Elie W. Mansour) (02/17/91)

Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
for my 7300 unix pc??

Thanks,

Elie

---

--

---|-----------------|---	----------------------------------
	Elie Mansour		| 				|

micro@micrtk.CACTUS.ORG (Ray Schafer) (02/18/91)

In article <9102170107.AA06852@melmac.umd.edu> jim@melmac.umd.edu (Elie W. Mansour) writes:
>Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
>for my 7300 unix pc??

You can get one at Radio Shack.  It's a 3 volt lithium battery.  It
needs to be soldered into the motherboard, after unsoldering the old
one.

--
Ray Schafer                 |Internet:
5004 Emerald Forest Circle  |micro@micrtk.cactus.org

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/18/91)

In article <9102170107.AA06852@melmac.umd.edu> jim@melmac.umd.edu (Elie W. Mansour) writes:
>Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
>for my 7300 unix pc??

	Sure!  Just about any computer store in the area.  The battery which
is used in the unix-pc is soldered into the motherboard.  I dislike this,
since it means that the same points must be re-soldered every few years.

	What I have done with mine is to replace the battery with a holder
for a coin-style battery.  The one which I use is the Rayovac BR2325.  It is
listed as a Lithium calculator/watch battery.  The holder I purchased from
Arcade Electronics, in Anandale, VA. This is not too far from your location
in D.C.  It will fit in the same holes that the original battery is soldered
to, and you will never need to re-solder those points again.  Be sure to
note the polarity of the original battery, and check the polarity of the
holder BEFORE you solder it in.  The TOP contact strap is the (+) side, and
the bottom one is the (-).

	I am sure that there are other places in the Washington, D.C. area
that carry the holder, but I KNOW about this one location.  (There are three
almost identical holders in three adjacent bins.  The one which you need for
that battery is the largest of the three.  (They are physically the same
size, but are designed to hold different diameters of batteries.).

	Good Luck
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) (02/19/91)

>>Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
>>for my 7300 unix pc??
>
>You can get one at Radio Shack.  It's a 3 volt lithium battery.  It
>needs to be soldered into the motherboard, after unsoldering the old
>one.

Your experience was better than mine.  Although Radio Shack does indeed carry
Lithium 3V batteries (even of the same size and shape as that found in my
Unix-PC, they did not have any with solder tabs, and the manager where I
shopped further claimed that no Radio Shack store carried the versions with
solder tabs.
--
Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.133649.11150@colnet.uucp> res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
>>>Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
>>>for my 7300 unix pc??
>>
>>You can get one at Radio Shack.  It's a 3 volt lithium battery.  It
>>needs to be soldered into the motherboard, after unsoldering the old
>>one.
>
>Your experience was better than mine.  Although Radio Shack does indeed carry
>Lithium 3V batteries (even of the same size and shape as that found in my
>Unix-PC, they did not have any with solder tabs, and the manager where I
>shopped further claimed that no Radio Shack store carried the versions with
>solder tabs.
>--

  Mainly because of the unfortunate tendency of lithiums to
  spread their contents rapidly around the surrounding real
  estate ( i.e. they explode ) if overheated or shorted
  out--which causes overheating.

  I just checked my CMC catalog and it doesn't list a battery
  for the ATT...nor does it list ANY computer battery which
  requires soldering of the battery...all units listed come with
  a set of wires and a plug...and this catalog is aimed at
  repair techies, not the average solder nerd.

  If you do solder a lithium, use a good heat sink between the
  solder point and the battery itself.  Protective glasses
  wouldn't be a bad idea.  Counter-intuitively, use a LARGE tip
  on a high wattage iron to get in and out fast....prior to
  heating of the battery itself.

  A small piece of crayon on the battery can save your
  vision...if it melts, the battery is getting warm...and may
  explode.

  You should be able to get a new battery from Digikey, etc. by
  noting the mfgr's p/n.

res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) (02/22/91)

In article <12347@helios.TAMU.EDU>, dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl
Biberdorf) writes:
> I was going to hook up the old C.Itoh Prowriter 8510 this weekend
> when I noticed that my 3B1 uses a female centronics connector instead
> of the more common DB-25 for its parallel port.  After calling around,
> no local businesses stock the male centronics-male centronics cable I need
> and special ordering it looks like it will cost more than I think it should.
> :)  So I guess I'll make my own.

Another option would be to buy two IBM printer cables, which can sometimes
be had quite cheaply because of their demand, and tie the DB-25 ends together
with a gender changer.  Works fine.  Or, if you want to use the printer with
the 3B1 *and* a DOS box, substitute an A-B box for the gender changer.
--
Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Feb19.133649.11150@colnet.uucp>, res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:

> Your experience was better than mine.  Although Radio Shack does indeed carry
> Lithium 3V batteries (even of the same size and shape as that found in my
> Unix-PC, they did not have any with solder tabs, and the manager where I
> shopped further claimed that no Radio Shack store carried the versions with
> solder tabs.
> --
> Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

I just ordered and received three of the solder-in type batteries Rob.
The people in the store seemed a little put out because they had to do
something other than stand around and talk to their friends.  I asked them
to order the battery for me.  The individual contacted their location in
Texas (sorry...  Don't know the city) and after some discussion ordered
the battery I wanted.  Did I mention that this solder-in battery is
a "1/2 AAA" ???  It is not the same button type as the original, but I like
it much better.  I clipped out the old battery, leaving part of the old
solder-in tabs sticking above the board and soldered the new battery
"pig-tails" to the protruding remenants.  I've replaced three of these
and all are working well.  I can forward the cost and battery name if
you would like.  They are a peculiar purple color and are manufactured
in Israel...

One thing that irritated me at the time (other than the "Oh, do I have to
do some work??" attitude) that they demanded payment, even though I gave
them my Visa number, before they would order the batteries.  I won't
go into the discussion I had with them over that!

Phil

staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) (03/12/91)

In article <9450@mgweed.UUCP> prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) writes:
>In article <1991Feb19.133649.11150@colnet.uucp>, res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
>>
>> Your experience was better than mine.  Although Radio Shack does indeed carry
>> Lithium 3V batteries (even of the same size and shape as that found in my
>> Unix-PC, they did not have any with solder tabs, and the manager where I
>
>I just ordered and received three of the solder-in type batteries Rob.

When I posted to the net about my clock battery, someone suggested buying
a battery holder, mounting it at the back of the case, and wiring _that_
to the old connections.  Now I can change batteries without opening the
case or soldering.

Ken