[comp.sys.3b1] Binaries needed

asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) (03/14/91)

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I need the binaries for GNU EMACS because I want to write the code at home.
I can then mail (uucp) it off to where it has to go (I say this, as I got
some replies about the fact that if I was developing code, I must have the
development package, and thus MUST have vi).

			-AJS
--
| asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu	or	asherman%cpe@swan.ulowell.edu    or  |
|                  {backbone}!ulowell!ul-cpe!asherman                        |

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/14/91)

In article <ASHERMAN.91Mar13182334@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu> asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) writes:
>Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
> [...]
>some replies about the fact that if I was developing code, I must have the
>development package, and thus MUST have vi).
> [...]

Huh?  Come again.

But you DO have "vi" if you have (at least) the 3.51 Foundation Set disks.

The ENCRYPTION SET (two disks) for "System Software Version 3.51" contains the
following goodies:

	crypt
	ed
	vi
	shlib
	makekey
	libc.a
	libp.p

Personally, I use GNU EMACS and have for 12+ years, since Stallman's efforts
were first collected and distributed under an ONR/ARPA contract.  If you want
to get technical, here's the blurb from the cover sheet of the manual and tape
which RMS personally handed to me back around 1978 or 1979:

	EMACS Manual for TWENEX USERS

		   by

	    Richard M. Stallman

[...]

	...work done at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory of the
	Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  Support for the laboratory's
	research is provided in part by the Advanced Research Projects Agency
	of the Department of Defense under Office of Naval Research contract
	N00014-75-C-0643.

That contract number tells me that EMACS has been around since at least 1975,
and the date on the last TeX manual I have is "5 September 1980" for version
150 though I presently have version 160+ on my DEC-20 systems.  These early
versions are written in MIT-Teco ... if you ever want to see source code
that looks like modem line noise, let me know!  :-)   The Teco portion is
implemented in more-readable DEC-10/20 assembly language.

In any event, to bring up GNU EMACS on the 3B1 means you're gonna need
several MB of free disk for the executable, its on-line docs, and its support
programs and LISP code.

As far as performance goes, I have no complaints.  And some people have
GNU EMACS as their login shell because it's so featureful in ways that
aren't obvious to the uninitiated.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu (Mark J. Horn) (03/15/91)

In article <2128@public.BTR.COM> thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:

[ ... ]

>But you DO have "vi" if you have (at least) the 3.51 Foundation Set disks.
>
>The ENCRYPTION SET (two disks) for "System Software Version 3.51" contains the
>following goodies:
>
>	crypt
>	ed
>	vi
>	shlib
>	makekey
>	libc.a
>	libp.p

[ ... Stuff about GNU Emacs deleted ... ]

Ah, Thad...?  I hate to possibly humiliate myself by disagreeing with a
net.god, BUT! I did NOT get vi in my Encryption Set.  I have a set of disks
called "Enhanced Editors"  I spent about two months having to use ed before
I found someone who would sell me these disks!  Did I spend those 2 months in
vain?

Is it just me or have did other people get their copy of vi from Enhanced
Editors?

- sparkie
--
 ___  ___  ___  ___  _  _  _  ___
/ __\| . \/ . \| . \| |/ /|_|| _ |	sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.025846.26031@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu (Mark J. Horn) writes:
> [...]
>Ah, Thad...?  I hate to possibly humiliate myself by disagreeing with a
>net.god, BUT! I did NOT get vi in my Encryption Set.  I have a set of disks
>called "Enhanced Editors"  I spent about two months having to use ed before
>I found someone who would sell me these disks!  Did I spend those 2 months in
>vain?
> [...]

PLEASE do NOT use that phrase "...net.god...".  I am the LAST person who
would ever pretend such exalted status.  Since I restrict the Users' Group
postings to ``ba'', I suppose most of you don't see my very-clearly worded
"...I don't claim to be a UNIX guru" which also appears on each meeting's
TeX printed agenda.

For over a decade I thought UNIX was crap because I listened to others
whose opinions I respected .... then came the 3B1 "fire sale" back in 1987
at which point I was able to afford my own UNIX system.  I taught myself
UNIX, and now have over 10 systems, and am picking up a SVR4 68030-based
system this coming Monday (company is footing the bill) on which I'll be
porting my company's major product (since the A/UX systems simply have been
too much hassle, what with bug after bug after bug, esp. since the 3B1 is
by FAR a better UNIX system than anything from Apple (and I have A/UX 1.*,
2.0 and 2.0.1 so I do know what I'm talking about))); the new system is the
Commodore Amiga A3000UX which, from all reports I've seen, is ``THE'' 680x0
version of UNIX SVR4.   I'm going to convert the two Mac ][ A/UX systems to
printer servers for the office secretaries since they (the A/UX) aren't even
adequate as uucp servers.  Sheesh, more $$$ down the drain on Apple junk. :-(

I have NO intention of getting rid of any of my 3B1 systems, and, in fact,
am always on the lookout for more simply because they ARE good.

In any event, Sparkie, I clearly said the "3.51 ENCRYPTION SET" and not the
"Enhanced Editors" in reference to EVERYONE (with 3.51) having "vi".

True, the "Enhanced Editors" package does have "vi", but that's part of the
Development Set.

The "Encryption Set" is part of the Foundation Set.  I do NOT know if the
Foundation Set prior to 3.51 had "vi" in the Encryption Set since 3.51 was
the release version in 1987 (when I bought my first 3B1).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/16/91)

thad@public.BTR.COM writes:
>I have NO intention of getting rid of any of my 3B1 systems, and, in fact,
>am always on the lookout for more simply because they ARE good.

Oh, yeah?  Wanna buy mine? :-)

>The "Encryption Set" is part of the Foundation Set.  I do NOT know if the
>Foundation Set prior to 3.51 had "vi" in the Encryption Set since 3.51 was
>the release version in 1987 (when I bought my first 3B1).

Might be some confusion here.  First - the versions of vi in the Enhanced
Editors set and the Encryption Set are different - the Encryption Set
version includes, of course, encryption, whereas the Enhanced Editors base
version does not.  Also, the Encryption Set is not necessarily a standard
part of the Foundation Set.  Units sold outside of the U.S., for example,
do not have it.
| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |