[comp.sys.3b1] HDB UUCP doesn't switch speeds??

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (03/08/91)

Sorry to bore everyone but I didn't get ANY response to the last time I
posted this so I doubt if it ever got anywhere.  (Ususally I get at
least some sympathy :-)

Sometimes, the usual 2400-baud route to my newsfeed becomes temporarily
unavailable for various reasons.  No sweat, there is a 1200-baud route
on a different phone number so I've just simply added a SECOND entry for
my newsfeed with a 1200-baud entry to my /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file.
HDB UUCP is (supposed to be) smart enough to continue searching the
Systems file for addiditonal entries and will try the "N+1" engry if
entry "N" fails.

Yeah, right.

That DOES work with HDB UUCP on my HP9000/825 at work, but not with HDB
UUCP on my trusty 3b1 at home.

That's not quite true.  The 3b1 HDB **does** TRY to execute the N+1st
entry, but if it is a different speed, the serial port doesn't get
switched!!

I used the -x9 debug flag on uucico and saw a call to 'fixline' with a
parameter of '1200' when the 2nd entry was processed, but /dev/tty000
remained at 2400 baud (as indicated by the speed indicator on my
external modem) and the connection failed when the computer couldn't
talk to the remote.  Commenting out the 2400-baud entry (thus forcing
use of the 1200-baud entry) allows a perfectly fine (but SLOW)
connection so there is no hardware problem and the
Systems/Dialers/Devices files are set up correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm running 3.51m now, having upgraded from
3.51a last week, and the problem persists.

Thad?  Lenny?  Anybody??
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.003509.500@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:

	[ ... ]

>Sometimes, the usual 2400-baud route to my newsfeed becomes temporarily
>unavailable for various reasons.  No sweat, there is a 1200-baud route
>on a different phone number so I've just simply added a SECOND entry for
>my newsfeed with a 1200-baud entry to my /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file.

	[ ... ]

>That DOES work with HDB UUCP on my HP9000/825 at work, but not with HDB
>UUCP on my trusty 3b1 at home.
>
>That's not quite true.  The 3b1 HDB **does** TRY to execute the N+1st
>entry, but if it is a different speed, the serial port doesn't get
>switched!!

	[ ... ]

>Anyone have any ideas?  I'm running 3.51m now, having upgraded from
>3.51a last week, and the problem persists.
>
>Thad?  Lenny?  Anybody??

	Well, I guess that I'm 'anybody'.  This is just a guess, I'm not an
expert on HDB - far from it - but is it possible that DTR isn't being
dropped between trys, since they're on the same port, and the modem, not
being reset, is not looking to re-determine the baudrate coming from the
serial port?  I haven't checked the modem I have here, but I think that it
might not expect to have its baud rate changed unless it is awaiting an 'AT'
after reset.

	What type of modem is it?

	If you have more serial ports available, you might try something
like hanging a second modem at 1200 on a different port, and letting the two
modems share the phone line.  (Obviously, if you have more than one system
that your system calls automatically, this could result in problems. :-)
Anyway, 1200-only modems should be cheap enough at hamfests by now.  I got
some good Ma-Bell type 1200-baud only modems for 15$ a couple or three years
ago.

	I saw the earlier article, but figured I'd leave it to the experts,
who then turned invisible :-)

	Good Luck
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.212145.5459@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.003509.500@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>
>	[ ... ]
>
>	Well, I guess that I'm 'anybody'.  This is just a guess, I'm not an
>expert on HDB - far from it - but is it possible that DTR isn't being
>dropped between trys, since they're on the same port, and the modem, not
>being reset, is not looking to re-determine the baudrate coming from the
>serial port?  I haven't checked the modem I have here, but I think that it
>might not expect to have its baud rate changed unless it is awaiting an 'AT'
>after reset.

The modem goes through a full reinitialization.

>	What type of modem is it?

Packard-Bell PB2400

>	If you have more serial ports available, you might try something
>like hanging a second modem at 1200 on a different port, and letting the two
>modems share the phone line.  (Obviously, if you have more than one system
>that your system calls automatically, this could result in problems. :-)
>Anyway, 1200-only modems should be cheap enough at hamfests by now.  I got
>some good Ma-Bell type 1200-baud only modems for 15$ a couple or three years
>ago.

Not a feasible solution, also VERY inelegant and doesn't really solve
the problem.

>	I saw the earlier article, but figured I'd leave it to the experts,
>who then turned invisible :-)
>
>	Good Luck
>		DoN.
>--
>Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
>D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564
>Disclaimer: from here - None	| Email:     <dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com>
>	--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Thanks!
--

dave@dms3b1.uucp (Dave Hanna) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.212145.5459@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.003509.500@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>Sometimes, the usual 2400-baud route to my newsfeed becomes temporarily
>>unavailable for various reasons.  No sweat, there is a 1200-baud route
>>on a different phone number so I've just simply added a SECOND entry for
>>my newsfeed with a 1200-baud entry to my /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file.

>	[ ... ]

>>That's not quite true.  The 3b1 HDB **does** TRY to execute the N+1st
>>entry, but if it is a different speed, the serial port doesn't get
>>switched!!

>	Well, I guess that I'm 'anybody'.  This is just a guess, I'm not an
>expert on HDB - far from it - but is it possible that DTR isn't being
>dropped between trys, since they're on the same port, and the modem, not
>being reset, is not looking to re-determine the baudrate coming from the
>serial port?  I haven't checked the modem I have here, but I think that it
>might not expect to have its baud rate changed unless it is awaiting an 'AT'
>after reset.

No, I remember this being discussed a couple of years ago.  (I remember
because, though I didn't participate in the discussion, I had the same
problem.)  Unfortunately, as I recall the answer, there is a bug in
the 3b1 implementation of HDB.  There is an ioctl call to set the
speed that ought to be _inside_ the loop that tries successive Systems
entries, and, instead, it is _outside_ the loop, i.e., done just once
at the top.  The result is that it will execute multiple Systems entries
for a single system, but it does them all at the speed of the first one.

Without access to the source, there's no easy fix.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.003509.500@wa8tzg.mi.org> wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Sometimes, the usual 2400-baud route to my newsfeed becomes temporarily
>unavailable for various reasons.  No sweat, there is a 1200-baud route
>on a different phone number so I've just simply added a SECOND entry for
>my newsfeed with a 1200-baud entry to my /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file.
>HDB UUCP is (supposed to be) smart enough to continue searching the
>Systems file for additional entries and will try the "N+1" entry if
>entry "N" fails.

In order to change speeds, the Systems file entries must refer to
different entries in the Devices file and the /etc/gettydefs files.
As:
zebra Any ACU24 T2400 5551212 "" \r\d\r ogin:--ogin: goat sword: xxxx
zebra Any ACU12 T1200 5551212 "" \r\d\r ogin:--ogin: goat sword: xxxx

The Devices file will probably require references to different entries
in the Dialers file in order to set up the modems properly.
As:
ACU12 tty000 - T1200 tb1200 \D
ACU24 tty000 - T2400 tb2400 \D

Of course, the OBM entries in Devices are:
ACU ph0 ph0 1200 PC7300
ACU ph1 ph1 1200 PC7300
These don't have entries in Dialers as that is built in.

I hope this helps.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie			      {ncar,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (03/16/91)

In article <236@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>As:
>zebra Any ACU24 T2400 5551212 "" \r\d\r ogin:--ogin: goat sword: xxxx
>zebra Any ACU12 T1200 5551212 "" \r\d\r ogin:--ogin: goat sword: xxxx

I did that.

>The Devices file will probably require references to different entries
>in the Dialers file in order to set up the modems properly.
>As:
>ACU12 tty000 - T1200 tb1200 \D
>ACU24 tty000 - T2400 tb2400 \D

That too.

>Of course, the OBM entries in Devices are:
>ACU ph0 ph0 1200 PC7300
>ACU ph1 ph1 1200 PC7300
>These don't have entries in Dialers as that is built in.

PC7300???   (but I **do** have the corresponding entries)

>I hope this helps.

Sorry, no.

>vern
>--
>Vernon C. Hoxie			      {ncar,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
>3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780
>Denver, Colo., 80212				  TB+	 uucp: 303-455-2670

Thanks anyway!!