[comp.sys.3b1] and nroff

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (03/06/91)

In article <5237@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
> output) with the tex output.
. . .
> Also, are are there any drawing tools available for MGR?
>
> Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
> motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
I was hoping Hans Jespersen (was: hjespersen@lion.uwaterloo.ca) would
port or post a version of this tool that runs on the blit terminals
(and would therefore probably work with his bitblt package),
but now I can't seem to reach him by email or otherwise.  *sigh*
Does anybody know what happened to Hans?
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (03/08/91)

In article <1181@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>In article <5237@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
>> output) with the tex output.
>. . .
>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.

If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and well defined.
All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to fig file
format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.

I won't have time to do this until after the semester, (some time in may),
but if there are no takers, I'll give it a shot then.

Tom Pusateri
Duke University

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (03/09/91)

[ Why or why are people still cross-posting comp.sys.3b1 and
comp.sys.att?  I've changed that to comp.text which is far more
relevant, though comp.graphics may also be appropriate. ]

In article <1181@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
> and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
> I was hoping Hans Jespersen (was: hjespersen@lion.uwaterloo.ca) would
> port or post a version of this tool that runs on the blit terminals

What you are talking about is cip (or the newer xcip), which is indeed
a mouse-driven, menued, object oriented, graphics drawing package,
which does indeed spit out PIC.

I kind of doubt Hans can post a port of cip or xcip, since they are
licensed AT&T software.

However, anyone can buy them from the AT&T Toolchest for a very low
price.  They come in source form, and are part of the 630-pkg.

There's also a new package for the X Window System (Open Look) called
Picasso.  I'm not sure how one would get this without also getting
DWB-3.1.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

hartman@abacab.UUCP (Mark A. Hartman) (03/11/91)

In article <668377781@macbeth.cs.duke.edu> pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
->In article <1181@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
->>In article <5237@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
->>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
->>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
->>> output) with the tex output.
->>. . .
->>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
->>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
->
->If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
->there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
->(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and well defined.
->All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to fig file
->format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
->files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.

I wrote something called cdraw2fig a while back that does precisely that.
It is on its way to comp.sources.3b1 now.

--
Mark Hartman			hartman@abacab.chi.il.us
				Mark_A_Hartman@att.com

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (03/12/91)

To confirm Greg Woods' conjecture:
Picasso is an X Window System (OPEN LOOK GUI) application
for creating pic files or PostScript. You use the mouse
to draw rectangles, circles, ellipses, text, etc.;
alternatively, (or alternately for that matter) you can
edit the ASCII file directly as you would with pic.
Picasso has enhanced basic pic considerably (color,
gray scale, rotation, object scaling, etc.) so it's not
always possible to stream Picasso files back through pic.

Picasso is sold as a source product by USL. Binary versions
are currently available only inside AT&T. It is a tribute to
the OPEN LOOK developers that Picasso has successfully been
installed with no extra effort on our part on the Sun 4,
AT&T 6386, AT&T 3B2, Pyramid/AT&T System 7000.

A batch ("box; arrow; circle") version of Picasso is included
with the DWB 3.1 release.

For those familiar with xcip and cip, think of Picasso as
cip with color and all the bugs fixed.

We'd be delighted to work with any VAR that wants to distribute
binary (hint, hint, hint, ...)

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (03/12/91)

E. Motteler) writes:
|> ->>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
|> ->>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
|> ->>> output) with the tex output.
|> ->>. . .
|> ->>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
|> ->>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
|> ->
|> ->If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
|> ->there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
|> ->(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and
well defined.
|> ->All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to
fig file
|> ->format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
|> ->files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.
|>
|> I wrote something called cdraw2fig a while back that does precisely that.
|> It is on its way to comp.sources.3b1 now.

Is there a version of fig that runs on the 3b1 ?  I am using xfig v2.0
on Sun's at work. It would be nice to have compatible drawing programs
both places. Also, we use f2ps to convert fig drawings to postscript - can then
be printed on pulled into tex files.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (03/16/91)

In article <526@abacab.UUCP> hartman@abacab.UUCP (Mark A. Hartman) writes:
>In article <668377781@macbeth.cs.duke.edu> pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>->In article <1181@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>->>In article <5237@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>->>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
>->>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
>->>> output) with the tex output.
>->>. . .
>->>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
>->>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
>->
>->If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
>->there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
>->(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and well defined.
>->All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to fig file
>->format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
>->files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.
>
>I wrote something called cdraw2fig a while back that does precisely that.
>It is on its way to comp.sources.3b1 now.
>
>--
>Mark Hartman			hartman@abacab.chi.il.us
>				Mark_A_Hartman@att.com

Now, how about a port of [x]fig to MGR??  THAT woulod be nifty neat-o
and HIGHLY useful!!

Could it be done?  Why not?  How about an equivalent??

[If I understood graphics, I might have a go, but I do much better at
things like device drivers and communications.]
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |