[comp.sys.3b1] Bash

guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) (03/12/91)

While we're on the subject, I have GNU bash (the Bourne Again SHell)
running on my PC7300.  I like it a lot.  It has the Bourne Shell
syntax but it has a lot of other nice features including command and
filename completion.  It also has shell functions.  On the down side,
I compiled it with gcc (no shared libs) and it is >600K.

Daniel Guilderson
ryan@cs.umb.edu

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (03/15/91)

|On the down side,
|I compiled it with gcc (no shared libs) and it is >600K.

Yowza!  That borders on obscene!  I seem to remember emacs being
smaller than that.  Shared libraries will only save you 20k or so.
Just for comparison:

1.14> size /bin/sh /bin/ksh /usr/local/bin/ksh rc
/bin/sh: 36036 + 3372 + 3096 = 42504
/bin/ksh: 86376 + 2024 + 4564 = 92964
/usr/local/bin/ksh: 63812(.text) + 9464(.data) + 5996(.bss) + 0(.lib)
= 79272
rc: 37892(.text) + 5452(.data) + 9132(.bss) + 0(.lib) = 52476

The local ksh is a relative of the PD ksh that was posted to
alt.sources some time ago, and includes commandline editting, filename
completion etc.  Rc is the clone of the V10 and Plan 9 shell of the
same name, and does not have fancy editting.

mike@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mike Haertel) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.230355.29442@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
>|On the down side,
>|I compiled it with gcc (no shared libs) and it is >600K.
>
>Yowza!  That borders on obscene! [...]

I don't think bash is that big.  I wonder if the person who posted the
original article (whose name you omitted) had the presence of mind to
strip it or use size(1) instead of 'ls -l'?  Most GNU programs come
with makefiles that specify -g by default...
--
Mike Haertel <mike@stolaf.edu>
"He's a tie with the ambition to become a full-blown suit." -- Jon Westbrock

guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) (03/16/91)

I checked it with size.  It's about 245K.  It is compiled with the -g
option and it's not stripped.  Good call.

Daniel Guilderson
ryan@cs.umb.edu