[comp.sys.3b1] Getting 3b1 source code...?

sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu (Mark J. Horn) (03/16/91)

In article <094715.17868@timbuk.cray.com> jaws@sequoia.cray.com (James A. Wheeler) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.130239.20389@cbnews.att.com> mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) writes:
>>i also have a Modest Proposal (TM):  set up a non-profit corporation
>>under the umbrella of ASCRC (a small computer software foundation?).
>>get a source license from AT&T for the 3b1 (or convince them to turn
>>over the source, with the obligation to support the 3b1) *and* from
>>convergent/unisys for miniframe ctix.  this would be funded by selling
>[ ...Lots of good points deleted]
>I like this Idea, how many are willing to investigate?

I'm not willing to investigate, but I'm willing to invest in the outcome.
Ooh, I see symbolic links... I see filenames > 14 chars... Wow!  how about NFS?
Even easier: software support for >1 floppy and >2 hard drives!!  John Milton's
HD2 project might get VERY popular.

Anyway, backdown to a little reality, an important question is: how much
would something like this cost?

- sparkie
P.S.	I changed the newsgroups line to only include c.s.3b1
--
 ___  ___  ___  ___  _  _  _  ___
/ __\| . \/ . \| . \| |/ /|_|| _ |	sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (03/18/91)

|>>i also have a Modest Proposal (TM):  set up a non-profit corporation
|>>under the umbrella of ASCRC (a small computer software foundation?).
|>>get a source license from AT&T for the 3b1 (or convince them to turn
|>>over the source, with the obligation to support the 3b1) *and* from
|>>convergent/unisys for miniframe ctix.  this would be funded by selling
|>[ ...Lots of good points deleted]
|>I like this Idea, how many are willing to investigate?
|
|I'm not willing to investigate, but I'm willing to invest in the outcome.

Someone at the BOF mentioned he was already looking into this (I'll
omit names here to save his mailbox from filling the filesystem it's
on :-) ).  Any new news on that front?