[comp.sys.3b1] floppy tape drive

wouk@alumni.colorado.edu (Arthur Wouk) (03/06/91)

i have recently acquired a tape backup system for my 3b1 and have two
questions:

1) the system came with release 1.0 of the software. are there any
known problems with that software and/or are there any updates?

2) the manual suggests 3m dc 600a  tapes or equivalent. have any tapes
caused consistent problems in this use? is there  any classification
of good or bad tapes?
--
arthur wouk
internet: wouk@cs.colorado.edu

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar6.005943.20629@csn.org> wouk@alumni.colorado.edu (Arthur Wouk) writes:
>i have recently acquired a tape backup system for my 3b1 and have two
>questions:
>
>1) the system came with release 1.0 of the software. are there any
>known problems with that software and/or are there any updates?

	I'd like to know of any updates to this software (if there
    were any ;-))  With the 1.0 UA scripts as they are (and I didn't
    look at them... I just use `gtar') the "multiple, 3B1 type, sets"
    script seems broken... the "display tape contents" always shows
    first set as "Broken" (or something like that), and all the other
    "slots" as "FULL" after only one "backup folders" operation.
    `Gtar', on the other hand, has no problems appending files to an
    existing archive (I haven't try `tapecpio', so anything could be
    the culprit... `tgetoffsets', `tgetovwrit'... hmm).  Anyways, the
    "user mode" software that came with the box doesn't exactly shine,
    but the box does work, and, in its own ways ;-), serves it's pur-
    pose OK.

>2) the manual suggests 3m dc 600a  tapes or equivalent. have any tapes
>caused consistent problems in this use? is there  any classification
>of good or bad tapes?

	An old 3M tape I got with the unit was wery clonk'y, but it had
    no errors, and so neither do the Sony QD-600A, but they are much
    quieter (smoother(?)).

    Good luck,

    -Mariusz
--
INET: Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430@compuserve.com

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar6.005943.20629@csn.org> wouk@alumni.colorado.edu (Arthur Wouk) writes:
>i have recently acquired a tape backup system for my 3b1 and have two
>questions:
>
>1) the system came with release 1.0 of the software. are there any
>known problems with that software and/or are there any updates?

The FixDisk allegedly corrected some problem with the original Floppy Tape
Software, but didn't fix the date&time restoration problem.  I don't know
how you feel about it, but I prefer for the original dates and times to be
restored from tape.  The fix was simple: alter the scripts' tapecpio lines to
include an "m"

>2) the manual suggests 3m dc 600a  tapes or equivalent. have any tapes
>caused consistent problems in this use? is there  any classification
>of good or bad tapes?

Deja vi? (Pun intended)  Thought I just posted something about tapes.  In
any event, the 3M DC600A are the preferred tapes and actually give you 620'
vs. the 600' with the Sony QD-600A tapes which also work fine in the drive.

Comparing the 550 oersted and 12,500 tpi ratings, it would appear the 3M
DC6150A tapes would also work, but these (generally) are more costly and
were designed for use with 150MB drives (still with 600' of tape).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (03/12/91)

In article <2071@public.BTR.COM>, thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:

> Comparing the 550 oersted and 12,500 tpi ratings, it would appear the 3M
> DC6150A tapes would also work, but these (generally) are more costly and
> were designed for use with 150MB drives (still with 600' of tape).

I can say from first-hand knowledge that DC6150 tapes will work in the tape
drive.

DAS
--
David A. Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

jeffrey@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) (03/19/91)

In article <1498@das13.snide.com> dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>I can say from first-hand knowledge that DC6150 tapes will work in the tape
>drive.

Well, in my playing, I have have used many different tapes.  The ones
that work the best (as I have found) are the Verbatim DL600, the
Maxell MC6000, and the 3M DC600HC.  The last one is somehow
"preformatted-do not degauss".  It still needs formatting, though :-(

Believe it or not, the only tape I *have* had problems with is the
standard 3M DC600A tape.  How's that for bizarre?!?

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey@sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey@ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey

ebd@fang.ATT.COM (Elliot B Dierksen) (03/21/91)

From article <1991Mar19.151807.3928@sci.ccny.cuny.edu>, by jeffrey@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger):
> In article <1498@das13.snide.com> dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>>I can say from first-hand knowledge that DC6150 tapes will work in the tape
>>drive.
>
> Believe it or not, the only tape I *have* had problems with is the
> standard 3M DC600A tape.  How's that for bizarre?!?

My only problem to date was with a Dysan 600A type tape. The tape actually
snapped!!  I have several others which have held up fine. I also have 3M's,
and some Sony's too.

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."
                        --  "This is Spinal Tap"