[comp.sys.3b1] Do you use MS-DOS format floppies?

staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) (03/15/91)

I often use floppies to port stuff between my 3b1 at home and PC-AT at work.
I always format the floppies at home.  When I write the disk at home & read
it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.
9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

---
I know it's a big company, but I'm not really nobody@kodak.com, try

        staffan@serum.kodak.com  -or-  kes7613@ma.rit.edu

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (03/15/91)

staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:

> [ his unix pc can't always read a perfectly good msdos disk ]

metoo.  If anyone has suggestions, please post.  It's aggravating.

				little david
--
Bottom of stack = 0x40000
Stack pointer   = 0x3fffe

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
"I often use floppies to port stuff between my 3b1 at home and PC-AT at work.
"I always format the floppies at home.  When I write the disk at home & read
"it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.
"9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
"the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
"table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
"happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
"for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?

the at has a 1.2M drive, right?  this is a common problem in
transferring disks between 360K and 1.2M drives; the low density drive
writes wide tracks which the high density drive can read, but the high
density drive writes narrow tracks the low density drive can't read.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (03/16/91)

in article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com>, staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) says:
Subject: Re: Do you use MS-DOS format floppies?

> it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.

This has been noted here also.  From previous scenarios involving Tandy PC
with 360K floopies, I am lead to believe that the quality of the 360K
drive is the culprit.  If you have access to another 360K PC drive, see if
it will interchange properly.  If it does, try substituting that drive
into the 3B1.  I would be interested in the results.

The old drives in the 3B1 seem to give some truth to the statement in the
MSDOS manual that claims 1.2 -> 360 transfers are unreliable.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
>I often use floppies to port stuff between my 3b1 at home and PC-AT at work.
>I always format the floppies at home.  When I write the disk at home & read
>it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.
>9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
>the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
>table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
>happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
>for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?

   Since you have a PC-AT, I suspect that your floppy drive is high density
(1.2M). These drives can write low-density (360K) floppies, yes, but there
is a catch: the head is only half as wide, and the write current (and hence
field strength on the disk) is much lower.

   The head width causes problems like so: if you have written to the disk
with a 360K drive, there is data across the whole track. When the high
density drive writes, it writes a strip down the center of the track,
leaving the old data around the edges. This old data can potentially
overwhelm the desired signal and you get read errors.

                      OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA  \
width of 1.2M head {  NEW_DATA_NEW_DATA_NEW_DATA_NEW_DATA  | width of
                      OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA_OLD_DATA  /    360K head

Even with a freshly formatted floppy, the head width can cause problems
by corrupting the file allocation table.

   HOW TO GET AROUND THIS: for transfers from the PC/AT to the 3B1, use a
virgin disk (or one that you have bulk erased) that was formatted to 360K
on the PC/AT. Write to this disk ONLY with the high-density drive, and there
will be no old stray data to cause trouble. The low-density drive should
be able to read this disk, unless the field strength is extremely low, but
I've never seen that happen in practice.

   For transfers from the 3B1 to the PC/AT, use a disk formatted to 360K on
the low-density drive. This disk does not have to be virgin, since the
low-density head is wide enough to completely overwrite anything that was
there before. Write to this disk ONLY with the low-density drive, since
writing to it with the high-density drive will cause the read errors that
started this discussion in the first place.

   As long as you abide by the rules on what drive to use for writing,
either of the drives can be used to read any disk.

   This topic has been discussed for years in the MS-DOS world; the
preceding techniques have proven about as reliable and foolproof as
anything can be.

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (03/16/91)

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) writes:

>In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
>" [ often cannot read perfectly good MSDOS disks with 3b1 ]

>the at has a 1.2M drive, right?
> [ suggests the high-low density issue is the problem ]

No, that's not it in my case.  I have taken virgin floppies, formatted
them on a low density drive on a dos box, and copied files to them.
On moving them to the 3b1, some read with mtools, and some do not.
Those that do not read can still read with dd(1) from beginning to end,
so the 3b1 can read the data, it just can't understand it.  I think mtools
needs a little improvement (or I need a newer version).

					little david
--
Bottom of stack = 0x40000
Stack pointer   = 0x3fffe

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (03/16/91)

In article <6222@amc-gw.amc.com> jwbirdsa@europa.amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:
>In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
[...]
>>9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
>>the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
>>table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
>>happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
>>for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>   Since you have a PC-AT, I suspect that your floppy drive is high density
>(1.2M). These drives can write low-density (360K) floppies, yes, but there
>is a catch: the head is only half as wide, and the write current (and hence
>field strength on the disk) is much lower.
>
>   The head width causes problems like so: if you have written to the disk
>with a 360K drive, there is data across the whole track. When the high
>density drive writes, it writes a strip down the center of the track,
>leaving the old data around the edges. This old data can potentially
>overwhelm the desired signal and you get read errors.

[...]
>Even with a freshly formatted floppy, the head width can cause problems
>by corrupting the file allocation table.
>
>   HOW TO GET AROUND THIS: for transfers from the PC/AT to the 3B1, use a
>virgin disk (or one that you have bulk erased) that was formatted to 360K
>on the PC/AT. Write to this disk ONLY with the high-density drive, and there

To sum this up, if you even one time write the disk with the wide track
head of a low density drive, you can never expect to successfully
write it with a high density drive.  (The high density drive will be
able to read what it wrote, but the low density drive will get errors.)

What I wanted to add to this has to do with bulk erasing.  If the disk
has ever been written to with a low density drive it must be bulk
erased to be used by a high density drive reliably.

Even though the high density drive will probably read what it wrote,
the head alignment becomes very critical, and with only a slight
mis-alignment even the hd drive will be reading errors from the
wide track written by the ld drive.

Commercial bulk erasers probably do a good job.  I don't know because
I haven't used one since zapping 2" video tape with one in '66...
What I do use is two LARGE speaker magnets.  I put one on each side
of the disk and move them around the entire disk.  I do one at a time.
These magnets are about 4" in diameter and almost 1" thick.  Anything
less, even only one magnet, won't do it well enough!

The fact that it takes a huge magnet to really zap the disk is a
bit surprising.  Even a small magnet will destroy enough data
that the disk is useless, but for this it needs to be *totally*
zapped.

  The way I discover how much it takes is interesting.  I had a
Kaypro-4 in 1983, which would write single or double sided disks, and
automatically detected which it was when reading them.  The difference
was detected by trying to read the second side.  If it didn't get an
error it was a double sided disk, if it got the error then it was
single sided.  Now take a previously double sided disk and try to erase
it well enough that it could be formatted again as single sided...  It
has to be well enough zapped that absolutely nothing shows up on the
second side, or else the formatting goes just fine and you end up with
a double sided disk formatted for one side only.  A genuine single
sided drive can use it, but a double sided drive can't.  So you write
to it with a Kaypro-2 (SSDD) and it can read it fine.  But the Kaypro-4
couldn't use it at all (DSDD drives).

One large magnet would almost always erase the disk well enough,
but one out of ten or so wouldn't be useable.  With two magnets
it never failed.

If you want to mix and match high density and low density disks,
or 48 tpi and 96 tpi disks, get a couple of the biggest magnets
you can find.  Give every disk a good once over before re-formatting,
and plainly mark which kind of drive it was formatted on.  Then
do not ever write to it with a different type of drive.  Making
sure that no part of the disk is written to just about requires
that it be write protected whenever it is inserted into a drive
of a different type than the formatting.

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd@ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar15.001223.18393@yenta.alb.nm.us>, dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
>
> > [ his unix pc can't always read a perfectly good msdos disk ]
>
> metoo.  If anyone has suggestions, please post.  It's aggravating.

The problem may be because the unix-pc formats ms-dos floppies to 8
sectors/track and your IBM is formatting 9/tk. There is an option in dos
format to give you 8 sectors / track. This SHOULD solve the problem.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

tom@afthree.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354@ssd.kodak.com> staffan@phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
>I often use floppies to port stuff between my 3b1 at home and PC-AT at work.
>I always format the floppies at home.  When I write the disk at home & read
>it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.
>9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
>the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
>table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
>happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
>for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I am glad you asked for suggestions, because I am not sure I have a definitive
answer - but I can make plenty of suggestions.

First a question - since you say an AT, I wonder if you are writing on a HD
drive, there are some known troubles going from the HD drive to "normal, i.e.
360K drives" even between PC's.  I will assume this in all that follows.

OK, here is my guess - the 1.2Meg (HD) drives on the AT have thin (narrow)
heads and 96 tracks per inch.  The drives on most XT's (and the unix PC) are
48 tpi drives with fatter heads.  The unix-pc writes a wide swath of data
and the AT reads right down the center and no problem.  However the AT writes
a narrow swath of data, and the head is not wide enough to erase the wide
swath (written at format time on the unix-pc -- formatting does fill the
sectors with data), so when you take the floppy to the unix-pc, it's wide
head sees both the data in the center of the track, and the slop on the sides
and bad things happen.

The only problem with all this is the following -- I have tried this every
possible way and cannot replicate the problem.  Even formatting on the 360K
and then writing on the 1.2M drive works every time.
(I have an AT running DOS 4.1 with both 1.2M and 360K drives --
and have tried all the possible combinations of which drive I format on
and which I write the data on, and I can always read them on the UNIXPC
(but I am using the UA window driven MSDOS floppy reader).
	Aha -- maybe here is the rub??
When I use mtools I get all manner of chaos --
floating exception core dump is most common, and this
traces back to a divide by zero in init.c
in init(), after reading sector zero -- the boot block --
divides by zero calculating:
	tracks = WORD(psect) / (heads * sectors);
(Why should there be a boot block - this is not a bootable disk).

My conclusion is that mtools has some bugs.

Maybe DOS4.1 has changes in the disk format mtools cannot deal with?
(Mtools seems fine to format and write files on the floppy -- the AT reads
them fine -- the only wrinkle here was writting a file not in the current
directory to an empty floppy produced nothing on the floppy.)

So my question to the original poster is:
	What version DOS are you running on your AT?
	What floppy hardware are you using on your AT?
	What software are you using on the unixpc to read the floppies?

I am tempted to dive in and tackle an mtools fixup -- any comments?
--
	Tom Trebisky	ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu	(Internet)
	Steward Observatory	University of Arizona	Tucson, Arizona

ward@unix386.Convergent.COM (Ward Griffiths) (03/21/91)

The one thing that I have seen that ALWAYS works, that I
have been using since the Tandy 2000 showed up with 720k
drives, to avoid the problem with transfers between HD/LD
drives, is to bulk erase the disk first and format and
write it from scratch on the machine I'm transferring the
data from.  That way, there is no leftover wide data with
narrow data down the middle.  At Radio Shack, you can get
a bulk tape eraser for about $15 that will save endless
headaches.  For a couple more dollars, there is the video
version that (besides being good for reusing video tapes)
is rugged enough to clear up all those leftover problems
with a glitched DC600A.  Just keep the tape eraser away
from your hard disk.  Having the computer in the den and
the eraser in the kitchen has always worked for me.

--
          Ward Griffiths, Unisys NCG aka Convergent Technologies                The people that make Unisys' official opinions get paid more.  A LOT more.
===========================================================================          To Hell with "Only One Earth"!  Try "At Least One Solar System"!

"... the device every conqueror, yes every altruistic liberator should be	required to wear on his shield ... is a little girl and her kitten, at		ground	zero."				Captain Sir Dominic Flandry