[comp.sys.3b1] wrastop NOT good for MGR

jeffrey@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) (03/25/91)

In article <48546@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.ph.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>How about programs that use the TAM library?  Do they work under mgr?

Most of the TAM cruft works under mgr.  I can use some of the stuff
that came with this machine, but I usually choose not to.  BTW: I
don't load the window driver.  This causes problems for things that
open /dev/window and not /dev/tty.

>I am talking about important programs like mahjongg and klondike.
>Will I have to re-write them?

Both games are fabulous, IMHO.  But, you use wrastop.  That is a
definite no-no for mgr.  Once upon a time, I was going to port klondike
over.  But, as things happen, I know so little about the way those
cards were bitmapped, I gave up.  Since *you* must know what's going
on, it will probably be easier for you.  MGR has a much nicer bitblt
interface than the default window driver.

You can load the window driver, and get UA windows upon demand.  It
leaves security holes; the susp key can stop mgr's console lock.  To
be honest, I keep my machine at work running UA (cause I  need the tek
emulator), and mgr at home.  I don't miss UA at all.

>That is pretty much all that is keeping me from running mgr.

Try the vidpal emulator.   Then you'll be a convert to mgr.  I
guarantee you, you'll never regret the change.

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey@sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey@ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey