[comp.sys.3b1] TAM vs. MGR

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (03/24/91)

tkacik@rphroy.ph.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik) writes:

>How about programs that use the TAM library?  Do they work under mgr?

>I am talking about important programs like mahjongg and klondike.
>Will I have to re-write them?

>That is pretty much all that is keeping me from running mgr.

Go with MGR!  Against my will, I am still loading the window driver
at bootup.  As long as the window driver gets loaded, TAM stuff
can work as always.

MGR is just a user process.  You log in, and get a shell.  If you
feel like it, you can type 'mgr' and start up the menu system.  If
not, you can use the regular window and play mahjongg.  Or, you
can run mgr right from your .profile, but when you feel like running
a TAM application, just hit "buckey-Z" and mgr is suspended and you
get a shell.  Play your mahjongg game, then hit control-D and *boop*!
mgr is back.

You do not need smgr or wmgr to be running ... just have the wind.o
driver loaded.  I use cron, update and errord, and actually I would
love to quit loading the window driver (costs memory and boot time,
and I don't use it) but I haven't been able to get that working.
Has anybody ever managed to log onto /dev/console (from getty)?

					little david
--
Bottom of stack = 0x40000
Stack pointer   = 0x3fffe

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (03/27/91)

|>How about programs that use the TAM library?  Do they work under mgr?
|
|>I am talking about important programs like mahjongg and klondike.
|>Will I have to re-write them?
|
|>That is pretty much all that is keeping me from running mgr.
|
|Go with MGR!  Against my will, I am still loading the window driver
|at bootup.  As long as the window driver gets loaded, TAM stuff
|can work as always.

I second the motion!  Like David, I still load wind.o so I can suspend
MGR and use tam stuff.  Simple tam applications can actually run
inside MGR windows, but they don't look as slick.

Someone else asked how easy it was to set up for new users: trivial,
unlike some bloated monstrosity of a window system we'll just call X.

It comes with a small suite of useful tools, and it is very easy to
make existing applications ``menu driven'' _without_them_knowing_it_!