[comp.sys.3b1] How to fix "disk almost full" message

arens@ISI.EDU (Yigal Arens) (03/26/91)

A week or so ago I asked for advice on how to get rid of that annoying
"disk almost full" message that pops up in a window every few minutes
when free disk space drops below 5%.

There have been many responses, some posted, and many more mailed
directly to me.  At the beginning I thanked each respondent
personally, but as the number grew I neglected to do so.  So let me do
so now: Thanks to all who responded!

The message in question appears to originate with smgr, but simply
killing that process has the unpleasant side effect of getting rid of
cron (and the time of day displayed at the top line of your screen).

The best solution, in my opinion, and the one which I have adopted,
involved using adb to edit /etc/smgr.  It was posted a couple of days
ago, but for those who missed it, here it is again:

- From: rhh@alice.att.com (r hardin)
- Subject: Re: Getting rid of "disk almost full" message
- Date: 23 Mar 91 12:14:40 GMT
-
- Assuming you're running 3.5 as I am, you can
-
- *	$ su
- * ()
- *	# adb -w /etc/smgr
- *	upd_time+1be?i
- 	upd_time+1be:		bge.w	upd_time+236
- *	.?w 6000
- 	upd_time+1be:	6c00	=	6000
- *	.?i
- 	upd_time+1be:		bra.w	upd_time+236
- *	<EOT>
- 	#
- (*) = you type
-
- which causes smgr to think there's lots of space regardless of your usage.

--
Yigal Arens                                "Strange women lying in ponds
USC/ISI                                     distributing swords is no

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (03/31/91)

In article <17298@venera.isi.edu>, arens@ISI.EDU (Yigal Arens) writes:
> A week or so ago I asked for advice on how to get rid of that annoying
> "disk almost full" message that pops up in a window every few minutes
> when free disk space drops below 5%.
>
> There have been many responses, some posted, and many more mailed
> directly to me.

I've not seen what I think is the best solution.  Ignore the icon after
you first read it.  It is only there as a warning, and if you do not
read the message, smgr takes no further action.  Later when you free
up some space, then read the message.  Next time you see the icon you
are properly warned.  But I think the Empty-Full icon is sufficient
warning until I take action to free up space.

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon

beyo@beyonet.UUCP (Steve Urich) (03/31/91)

In article <926@jonlab.UUCP>, jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
> In article <17298@venera.isi.edu>, arens@ISI.EDU (Yigal Arens) writes:
> > A week or so ago I asked for advice on how to get rid of that annoying
> > "disk almost full" message that pops up in a window every few minutes
> > when free disk space drops below 5%.

	<*> The keywords here are ""disk almost full" message that pops
	    up in a WINDOW (not icon) :-). You must have an older version
	    of Software.

> I've not seen what I think is the best solution.  Ignore the icon after
> you first read it.  It is only there as a warning, and if you do not
> read the message, smgr takes no further action.  Later when you free
>
> Jon

	<*> Therefore Mr. Arens can't help but see the "disk almost full"
	    message every few minutes. That is a real annoyance.

	    I sort of like the "Gas gauge meter on E Icon" :-). I thought
	    that this improved was a good fix for the earlier version.

						Steve Urich WB3FTP

						dsinc!wells!beyonet!beyo