[comp.sys.3b1] problems with diff3 in RCS:rcstest

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (03/26/91)

I'm trying to get the recently posted RCS package to work on my 3b1.
I've installed the recently posted gnu diff package said make the
RCS package work correctly.
Now I'm trying to get RCS to pass the rcstest test included
in the RCS package.

I've gotten it working (with some minor adjustment to rcstest)
until it trys an rcsmerge.  output from rcstest -v:
. . . .
+ rcsmerge -r2.2 -r2.3 a.c
RCS file: RCS/a.c,v
retrieving revision 2.2
retrieving revision 2.3
Merging differences between 2.2 and 2.3 into a.c
Usage:	/usr/bin/diff3 [-exEX3 [-i | -m] [-L label1 -L label3]] file1 file2 file3
	Only one of [exEX3] allowed
merge: overlaps or other problems during merge

[ rcs merge then fails ]

It sure looks like diff3 is not getting the parameters it's expecting.
To find out what parameters it IS getting, I temporarily replaced
/usr/bin/diff3 with a program that prints out its arguments,
and re-typed the rcsmerge command:
RCS file: RCS/a.c,v
retrieving revision 2.2
retrieving revision 2.3
Merging differences between 2.2 and 2.3 into a.c
 "/usr/bin/diff3" "-E" "/tmp/d3a10103" "/tmp/d3b10103" "a.c" "/tmp/RCSAa10100" "/tmp/RCSBa10100" "a.c" "2.3"

Since I don't have a manual page for diff3, I have no idea how
the diff3 command is supposed to work here.
These arguements don't look right.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (03/27/91)

In article <1345@hico2.UUCP>, kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> I'm trying to get the recently posted RCS package to work on my 3b1.
> I've installed the recently posted gnu diff package said make the
> RCS package work correctly.
> Now I'm trying to get RCS to pass the rcstest test included
> in the RCS package.
>
> I've gotten it working (with some minor adjustment to rcstest)
> until it trys an rcsmerge.  output from rcstest -v:

[description of failure of rcsmerge test in rcstest deleted]

It looks like the problem was due to having made rcs
once with the wrong options in src/Makefile, and
then not deleting the (created) shell file "merge".
(Paul Eggert responded that I need to remake merge,
 and that fixed the posted problem).

In addition to this problem (but unrelated to it),
I had made diff3 with bindir set to /usr/local/bin,
but had installed diff as /bin/diff, so I needed
to remake diff3, too.

Once I took these steps, everything worked out fine!
Thanks to Andy Warner, Paul Eggert, and Gordon L. Burditt.
(and anybody else who sent a response I haven't gotten yet
 -- sometimes email is slow)
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

daveb@Ingres.COM (Dave Brower) (04/05/91)

There were some  long standing subtle null-pointer kind of bugs in the
SVR1/2 diff3 code that broke on non-VAX machines.  I wouldn't be
surprised if the one on the 3b1 is broken.  I'd try to use gnudiff3
instead, and give up on the one in /usr/bin.

-dB