[comp.sys.3b1] Help: Power Supply Died

gatan@cbnewsk.att.com (romeo.a.gatan) (04/05/91)

I own a UNIX 7300 with 1 Meg and a 20Mb drive.  About three weeks ago,
my 20Mb drive died on me.  So I replaced it with a used one I got from a
friend.  It ran for about that length of time, then the whole system
went down on me.

Anyway, I opened the box and looked at the Power Supply board and
noticed that one component burned out.  This thing was in terrible
shape.  So bad that it looked like a raisin.

Anyway I need to find out what this component is.  It is marked as
RV1 on the board and it sits right next to C4.

Can anyone help?

Roy Gatan

rjg@umnstat.stat.umn.edu (Robert J. Granvin) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.182959.8663@cbnewsk.att.com>, gatan@cbnewsk.att.com (romeo.a.gatan) writes:
|> Anyway, I opened the box and looked at the Power Supply board and
|> noticed that one component burned out.  This thing was in terrible
|> shape.  So bad that it looked like a raisin.

I've got to admit, that's probably one of the best descriptions I've heard
of a fried component in a very long time.  :-)

Now I only wish I had a schematic handy to help.  :-(

--
Robert J. Granvin                                       School of Statistics
rjg@umnstat.stat.umn.edu                             University of Minnesota

root@beyonet.UUCP (Root) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.182959.8663@cbnewsk.att.com>, gatan@cbnewsk.att.com (romeo.a.gatan) writes:

> Anyway I need to find out what this component is.  It is marked as
> RV1 on the board and it sits right next to C4.

	<*> The Part you are refering to is some kind of variable thermal
	    resistor???? The number on it reads "3002" underneath "8GE4".

						Steve Urich WB3FTP

						dsinc!wells!beyonet!beyo