[comp.sys.3b1] AT&T external monitor for the Unix PC?

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (03/30/91)

At the last local HAM/electronics/computer flea market I found what looks
like an exact duplicate of the Unix PC monitor, with the following
differences:

1 - Instead of the Unix PC case top, it comes with a very unobtrusive,
    small and well designed base, that matches the monitor perfectly,
    of course.  In my opinion, the Unix PC monitor, with this base is a
    much more elegant design than those PC-compatible monitors that have
    the swivel base added on as an after-thought.

2 - The black plastic around the screen has the AT&T logo on the left, but
    has no "UNIX PC" or other markings on the right.

3 - Instead of the one brightness control to the left, under the Unix PC
    monitor, this one has two such controls, one on each side.

4 - There are no vents on the top of the case.  Instead they are on the
    bottom and the rear.

5 - The cable that comes from the monitor, exits the rear of the base
    to the left.  This is a thick, black cable, with a male DB25 plug
    that has pins 1, 3-7, 11, 16-21 and 24-25.

6 - On the bottom of the base is a drawing that indicates that a keyboard
    cable should enter the base at the right rear, through a small hole and
    should plug into another cable inside the base.  This other keyboard
    extension cable would then come out the left rear hole, along with
    another extension that would plug into the plug described above, and
    go "to monitor".  Another monitor?  The only text beside the drawing
    says: "To wrap cable, follow the dotted line", "Push plugs inside
    brackets" and "Check cord routing before mounting cover".  On the rear
    of the monitor is a sticker with the AT&T logo, under it, beside the
    right rotary control is another sticker that says "CRT 313/M".

What did this monitor come with?  Since, except for minor differences, it
looks exactly like the Unix PC monitor, can it be used as a replacement?
What exactly is the pin-out?  What kind of adapter cable would have to be
made to plug it into the mother-board? (if it is in fact compatible).

Does anybody out there have any info on this monitor?  Before I got my
Unix PC I saw dozens of these at the flea market,  lately I only saw the
one I bought.  Even if there's no way to use it, I'll use the base (same
mounting system) and put my Unix PC monitor on it.  I'll finally reclaim
my desk!

If some AT&T insider knows who manufactured these bases, maybe someone
can organize a group buy and have a batch made (if there's interest.)

For all those people with external disk boxes, another possible option
is to move everything but the monitor and the keyboard to the new box.

Comments?  Info?

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) (03/31/91)

Sounds like an AT&T 610 ASCII Terminal.  I'm not sure what the
graphics capability of this terminal is but I don't think it is
bitmapped.  The ones I have seen have the same annoying green phosphur
as the 3B1 monitor.

Daniel Guilderson   ryan@cs.umb.edu

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (04/01/91)

Looks like you have a mono monitor from a 6300.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Mar29.215240.24812@shibaya.lonestar.org> afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:

>At the last local HAM/electronics/computer flea market I found what looks
>like an exact duplicate of the Unix PC monitor, with the following
>differences:
>
>	... differences deleted ...
>
>What did this monitor come with?  Since, except for minor differences, it
>looks exactly like the Unix PC monitor, can it be used as a replacement?
>What exactly is the pin-out?  What kind of adapter cable would have to be
>made to plug it into the mother-board? (if it is in fact compatible).

It sounds like a monochrome monitor for the AT&T 6300 XT clone.  I have one,
and the only difference is the lack of the keyboard connections you describe,
as the keyboard plugs into the computer itself, not the monitor.  I asked
a friend at work whether this monitor could be made to work on a 7300 and
the response was "not easily".  It seems the scan rates of the two are
different, different flyback transformers, etc.  Would cost more to upgrade
it to work than it was worth.  I haven't tried it, though.  I suspect some
of the parts could be used to fix a broken Unix-PC monitor, and would suspect
the CRT could be swapped.  Hope this helps.
--
Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh