[comp.sys.3b1] 3.0 How different is it?

asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) (04/15/91)

I have a Unix-PC (20Mb drive w/ 1Mb ram) that eledges that it is running
version 3.0 of the OS. Is this incompatible with the most current
release? I have had trouble using the binaries from some of the
archives, and had assumed that it was just a problem with my means
of file-transfer.

Could it be the shared libraries? I've had some trouble using someone elses
software from floppies, and for reasons I don't have time to get into
I suspect that the difference is in the shared libs.

Just some random musings and pleadings...

BTW: can I get an upgrade from AT&T, or are they trying to pretend that
the UNIX-PC never happened?

			-AJS

--
| asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu   or  asherman%cpe@ulowell.ulowell.edu  or   |
|                  {backbone}!ulowell!dino!asherman                          |

tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) (04/16/91)

In article <ASHERMAN.91Apr14231552@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu>, asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) writes:
> I have a Unix-PC (20Mb drive w/ 1Mb ram) that eledges that it is running
> version 3.0 of the OS. Is this incompatible with the most current
> release? I have had trouble using the binaries from some of the
> archives, and had assumed that it was just a problem with my means
> of file-transfer.

> Could it be the shared libraries?

Yes, the problem is the shared libraries.  They appear to be different
between 3.0 and 3.5-3.51.  If shared libraries are not used, you should
not have any problem.

I suppose this means that any binary that someone wants to have placed
in the osu archives should be compiled WITHOUT the shared libraries.
They will be a little larger, but at least everyone will be able to
use them.

--
Tom Tkacik                |
tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org       |     To rent this space, call 1-800-555-QUIP.