[comp.sys.3b1] RFS or NFS on the 3B1...

marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) (04/29/91)

I'm quite surprised.  This is the first time that I've posted a request
for information to THIS group and got no response at all.  I recently
asked if RFS or NFS was available for the 3B1.  Every time I've asked
for information, somebody, if not everybody posted or emailed me some
words of wisdom on the subject.  Many times the answer was that this
won't work because..., or it might work if..., but never dead silence.

Let me try this again.  Has anybody succeeded in making RFS or NFS work
on the 3B1?  I would like to use one of my systems as a public access
netnews site, and would like to keep the news articles on the 320Mbyte
drive on my ISC UNIX 386.  If the answer turns out ot be no, I may have
to allow public access to my 386, or find some larger drives for the 3B1.

Taking this along another tack, can my 3B1s be networked together, allowing
me to split the news articles across two systems, and therefore two drives?

Any ideas?!?!

						Thanks in advance,
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.173808.22383@cbfsb.att.com> marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) writes:
>I'm quite surprised.  This is the first time that I've posted a request
>for information to THIS group and got no response at all.  I recently
>asked if RFS or NFS was available for the 3B1.  Every time I've asked

There's no kernel support for RFS/NFS (no RPC). (This same question
appeared a few weeks ago)

>Taking this along another tack, can my 3B1s be networked together, allowing
>me to split the news articles across two systems, and therefore two drives?

You could use nntp for reading/posting news from 3B1's, keeping the spool
on the machine with the large disks.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

mps@hawkeye.UUCP (snyder) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.095746.22262@blilly.UUCP>, bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly)
writes:
> In article <1991Apr28.173808.22383@cbfsb.att.com> marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com
> (martin.zam) writes:
> >I'm quite surprised.  This is the first time that I've posted a request
> >for information to THIS group and got no response at all.  I recently
> >asked if RFS or NFS was available for the 3B1.  Every time I've asked
>
> There's no kernel support for RFS/NFS (no RPC). (This same question
> appeared a few weeks ago)

i *THINK* that in the Sun Users Group (SUG) distributions recently there was
a distribution of source for the RPC/XDR (Remote Procedure Call/eXternal Data
Representation) libraries used on suns...

if anyone can confirm this, and possibly supply the source (all SUG stuff is
distributable as far as i know); maybe an inquiry on comp.sys.sun might also
be helpful.

+-------------------------------------+----------------------+
| THE BEE (author unknown)            | Michael P. Snyder    |
|  She is a busy soul.                | P.O. Box 135         |
|  She has no time for birth control. | Cresco, Iowa  52136  |
|  There are so many "Sons of Bees".  | mps@hawkeye          |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------+

bilbo@bisco.kodak.com (Charles Tryon) (05/03/91)

In article <290@hawkeye.UUCP> mps@hawkeye.UUCP (snyder) writes:
>i *THINK* that in the Sun Users Group (SUG) distributions recently there was
>a distribution of source for the RPC/XDR (Remote Procedure Call/eXternal Data
>Representation) libraries used on suns...

  This is true.  I have never seen the sources for this stuff (I use Suns
  at work), but I've been told you can get it.  I have used XDR quite a bit,
  and it's a pretty neat package.

  (Nice way to get everyone to accept your software as "Standard" -- give
  it away.  I've even used XDR on the IBM RS (RISC) computers, and the
  header files are straight from Sun.)

--
Chuck Tryon
    bilbo@bisco.kodak.com                                     B. Baggins

  "Swagger knows no upper bound, but the laws of physics remain unimpressed."
                                                            (D. Mocsny)