[comp.sys.3b1] "comp.sys.3b2" and "comp.sources.3b2" anyone?

bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) (01/28/91)

Any chance that the folks in the 'u3b' groups might like to come over
and play under the new schema?

Particularly for those such as we who have older 3B2 machines, the logic for
doing so may be as compelling as that which the vast majority of us
supported in voting the switchover from unix-pc.* to comp.*.3b1. It appears
the 'u3b' groups suffer equally from lack of general distribution. And there
are alot more 3B2 machines of various shades than 3B1s, so readership
should not be an issue, it would seem.

I know the topic of a more-general reorganization arose during the debate
about comp.sys.3b1 (and absolutely agree that it would have been *most*
undesireable to muddy the waters at that time), but...

Is the time now at hand to discuss further reorganization logic(s)?

Yeah, I know: "No slack!" But success begets success - so maybe we
should carry through while we're on a roll. :-) :-)
--
____________
bud@mtek.com

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/28/91)

In <1991Jan28.012133.13672@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:

>Any chance that the folks in the 'u3b' groups might like to come over
>and play under the new schema?

>Particularly for those such as we who have older 3B2 machines, the logic for
>doing so may be as compelling as that which the vast majority of us
>supported in voting the switchover from unix-pc.* to comp.*.3b1. It appears
>the 'u3b' groups suffer equally from lack of general distribution. And there
>are alot more 3B2 machines of various shades than 3B1s, so readership
>should not be an issue, it would seem.

It seems that it would make more sense from the beginning to have a
comp.sys.3b and comp.sources.3b since neither the unix-pc nor the u3b
hierarchies are exactly high volume, then in the future if it was
warranted subgroups comp.*.3b.1, comp.*.3b.2 could have been created.
What do I know though?

aem
sysadmins for logical usenet naming (SLUN)

--
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu .......................................................
Contaminate your bed,

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (01/29/91)

From what I've seen of the traffic in comp.sys.att, it has been either 3b1 or
3b2 traffic all along.  Now that the unix-pc traffic will (largely) be going
into the 3b1 groups, that would seem to leave 3b2 traffic the sole occupant
of comp.sys.att.  Perhaps a rename to comp.sys.3b2 and the addition of
comp.sources.3b2 is in order.  How much 3b2 specific source code is actually
out there?  With the exception of ANSI C code and heavily BSDish code, I've had
only minor problems with code from the existing source groups that claims to be
usable on SysV machines so we may not need a 3b2 specifc source group.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

gak@gakbox.Corp.Sun.COM (Richard Stueven) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.152827.8986@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>It seems that it would make more sense from the beginning to have a
>comp.sys.3b and comp.sources.3b [...]

The 3B1 and the 3B2 are wildly different machines.  In fact, no 3B
model resembles any other 3B model, except for the numerous variations
of the 3B2, and the 3B5/3B15 models.  (Are they still making any of
these anymore?  I've been out of it for a while...)

comp.sys.att lumps these models together nicely, as far as we 3b1-ites
are concerned.

have fun

gak

**    Richard Stueven           attmail!gak               gak@sun.com       **
**               Monday is a work day, Tuesday's much the same              **
**           Wednesday comes and goes away, Thursday's back again - Madness **
**                  Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!                    **

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (01/29/91)

=
=Particularly for those such as we who have older 3B2 machines, the logic for
=doing so may be as compelling as that which the vast majority of us
=supported in voting the switchover from unix-pc.* to comp.*.3b1. It appears
=the 'u3b' groups suffer equally from lack of general distribution. And there
=are alot more 3B2 machines of various shades than 3B1s, so readership
=should not be an issue, it would seem.

I wouldn't mind seeing comp.sys.3b2 and comp.sources.3b2.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan29.010521.1037@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.EDU (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I wouldn't mind seeing comp.sys.3b2 and comp.sources.3b2.

That might leave those of us running orphaned dinosaurs like my 3B15 (and
3B5, 3B20, etc.) without a "good" group.  They are most related to the 3B2
of any, and being rare and obsolete, cooperative support will be even more
important in the future....
--
Paul S. Sawyer                {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul    paul@unhtel.uucp
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services          paul@unhtel.unh.edu

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.152827.8986@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu writes:
>It seems that it would make more sense from the beginning to have a
>comp.sys.3b and comp.sources.3b since neither the unix-pc nor the u3b
>hierarchies are exactly high volume, then in the future if it was
>warranted subgroups comp.*.3b.1, comp.*.3b.2 could have been created.

comp.sys.3b1 got away with using a digit in the first position of a name.

i think comp.sys.3b.1 would cause real havoc as some programs may get confused
as to whether /usr/spool/news/comp/sys/3b/1 is an article or a group.

i was amazed no-one brought this up during the discussions for c.s.3b1

(not that i care, our system seems to be doing fine)

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.010521.1037@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> I wouldn't mind seeing comp.sys.3b2 and comp.sources.3b2.

The term "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" comes to mind right now.  I
could very probably be coarsed into voting for the above two groups.

DAS
--
David A. Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.125635.8145@unhtel.uucp> paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.010521.1037@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.EDU (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>I wouldn't mind seeing comp.sys.3b2 and comp.sources.3b2.
>
>That might leave those of us running orphaned dinosaurs like my 3B15 (and
>3B5, 3B20, etc.) without a "good" group.

Hmm.  Isn't it interesting that the first sustained topic to appear in
comp.sys.3b1 is about every AT&T machine _but_ the 3b1?

Hmm... <confused look>

--
 \\         David Sandberg         \     ,=,       ,=,           \\
 //      dts@quad.sialis.com       /     | |uadric `=,ystems     //

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (01/31/91)

[ This 'na' distribution stuff has got to stop! ]

In article <1991Jan28.180448.6953@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
> From what I've seen of the traffic in comp.sys.att, it has been either 3b1 or
> 3b2 traffic all along.  Now that the unix-pc traffic will (largely) be going
> into the 3b1 groups, that would seem to leave 3b2 traffic the sole occupant
> of comp.sys.att.

Ah, as a 3b2 fan, I'll just be the devil's advocate for a second....

	What about all the 6386 stuff?

>  Perhaps a rename to comp.sys.3b2 and the addition of
> comp.sources.3b2 is in order.  How much 3b2 specific source code is actually
> out there?

Absolutely NONE, since I've never seen any device drivers posted.
AT&T System V Release x.x is what the 3b2's run, and that's as generic
as it gets, since the 3b2 was the porting base.

>  With the exception of ANSI C code and heavily BSDish code, I've had
> only minor problems with code from the existing source groups that claims to be
> usable on SysV machines so we may not need a 3b2 specifc source group.

Which reminds me....  How many 3b1 specific sources are there?  Sure
some graphics stuff, not all of which is specific.  Maybe some other
device specific stuff.  Otherwise, anything for 3b1's is basically
SysVr2.x compatible (with the exception of some Starlan/TLI stuff
which seems also to be compatible with SysVr3.0).

Please, anyone porting things to either 3b platform, use generic SysV
features as #ifdef's, etc, not u3bX identifiers.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) (02/01/91)

In article <653@quad.sialis.com> dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) writes:
<In article <1991Jan29.125635.8145@unhtel.uucp> paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:

<Hmm.  Isn't it interesting that the first sustained topic to appear in
<comp.sys.3b1 is about every AT&T machine _but_ the 3b1?
<
<Hmm... <confused look>

Well, the articles, you will notice, are being cross-posted. The original
article that launched this discussion was *specifically* directed to the
topic of whether it would make any sense to move u3b.* to comp.*.3b2.

Since the u3b.* groups (I am confident) suffer at least the same limits
to distribution as have the unix-pc.* groups, I thought a more-general
posting would be appropriate as a means of bringing up the subject amongst
those readers most-likely to have an interest.

This may have been an error in judgement on my part.

Perhaps we should *not* cross-post this discussion to comp.sys.3b1, since
those persons interested will most-probably be reading comp.sys.att anyway,
even if they cannot get u3b.*

But that was the real point, wasn't it? :-)
--
____________
bud@mtek.com

dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) (02/01/91)

:
:Well, the articles, you will notice, are being cross-posted. The original
:article that launched this discussion was *specifically* directed to the
:topic of whether it would make any sense to move u3b.* to comp.*.3b2.

I knew the articles were crossposted.  My comment was only half-serious.
However, I felt the use of a smiley would negate the subtle point I did
want to make in the midst of the irony, so I left it out.

:Perhaps we should *not* cross-post this discussion to comp.sys.3b1, since
:those persons interested will most-probably be reading comp.sys.att anyway,
:even if they cannot get u3b.*

Now this I can agree with wholeheartedly.

--

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.020450.15280@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
=Ah, as a 3b2 fan, I'll just be the devil's advocate for a second....
=
=	What about all the 6386 stuff?

What 6386 stuff?  I've seen very little.  I wish there were more!

Pete
--

mtd@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (Mario T DeFazio) (05/06/91)

In article <1991Jan28.012133.13672@mtek.com>, bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
> Any chance that the folks in the 'u3b' groups might like to come over
> and play under the new schema?

I'm all for it.

Mario T DeFazio			AT&T EasyLink Services, Lincroft, New Jersey
AT&T Mail: !mdefazio
Internet:  mdefazio@attmail.com  Voice: (908)576-2590
           mtd@pegasus.att.com