[comp.sys.3b1] Help with tty000 needed

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (05/08/91)

 I have a new old stock 3b1 with Unix 3.0 that I am setting up.  I can't
do a login from a terminal connected to /dev/tty000. I get the login
prompt, type an account name and return, and I can hear the 3b1 disk
churn as though it is trying to put up the password: prompt, but nothing
appears on the terminal screen.  I have tried killing processes to get
the getty to respawn, but can't clear the line to do anything until I
reboot the system.  I have used the install menu to shut the line off,
and can copy files to and from the terminal screen, so there is a fair
chance I have the RS-232 stuff set up OK.  What communicates is
9600,N,8,1.  I have also tried 9600,E,7,1 on the terminal, but
communications are garbled, although I get the same effect with a login.

Can't get an Intel 2400 bit modem to talk to the system either.

Using the on-board modem works, but every so often something glitches
the system into a suspend and back to showing the call screen.

Any bright ideas? Email internet address is vancleef@iastate.edu
--
Hank van Cleef
vancleef@iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.012322.29721@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:

> I have a new old stock 3b1 with Unix 3.0 that I am setting up.  I can't
>do a login from a terminal connected to /dev/tty000. I get the login
>prompt, type an account name and return, and I can hear the 3b1 disk
>churn as though it is trying to put up the password: prompt, but nothing
>appears on the terminal screen.  I have tried killing processes to ...

  Aha!  Another person with the exact same problem.  BTW, I was using 3.51.

  Here's the fix:  check your serial cable.  I was using a generic Macintosh-
modem cable.  However, this particular cable didn't carry one line (I forgot)
and some others were not connected correctly.

  Check the numerous postings here in the past about the serial port hook-
ups.

  Once I made a new serial cable for the unixpc-mac connection, it works
fine.

  Say, MGR on my macintosh is interesting with the programs running on
the 7300..

later.
Brent Burton
  n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu