[comp.sys.3b1] smail 3.1 and shared libraries

kls@ditka.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) (02/01/91)

I just built and installed smail 3.1.18 on ditka.  Installed very
easily and works like a champ -- I'm impressed!!!  (Many thanks to
the authors for doing such a nice job.)

My only real complaints are that it is big and slow, and on a 3b1
this is of some concern.  One obvious thought was to link it using
shared libraries.  I hacked src/Makefile to do the ld command but
get complains about vfprintf not being defined -- the shared lib
doesn't have it listed.  I know there've been various ways of using
shared libraries but the simple 'ld -i /lib/crt0s.o /lib/shlib.ifile'
sequence has been adequate for me until now.

Obviously shared libraries will make the executables smaller, but
what about load time?  On SunOS 4.x shared libraries actually make
for slightly (hardly measurable) *slower* load times.  I suspect,
if anything, they'd speed things up on the 3b1 by virtue of less
stuff to read from disk and lower memory use.  Any thoughts?

(Another possibility is recompiling smail 3.1 with gcc.  Has this
been done on a UNIX PC, and what kind of speed improvement might I
expect?)

--
Karl Swartz		|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-408/223-1308		|UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
			|Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148
"It's psychosomatic.  You need a lobotomy.  I'll get a saw." (Calvin)

steve@jack.sns.com (J. Steven Harrison) (05/09/91)

In article <34162@ditka.Chicago.COM> kls@ditka.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>I just built and installed smail 3.1.18 on ditka.  Installed very
>easily and works like a champ -- I'm impressed!!!  (Many thanks to
>the authors for doing such a nice job.)

If I am not mistaken 3.1.20 does allow for compilation with shared libraries
on the 3b1. I have not moved it there yet for recompilation but noticed
it as I was setting it up for the other machines I administer.

>(Another possibility is recompiling smail 3.1 with gcc.  Has this
>been done on a UNIX PC, and what kind of speed improvement might I
>expect?)

I did this but found little difference. I used gcc 1.39.

--
Dr. J. Steven Harrison			{uunet,pyramid,pacbell}!jack!steve
Systems'n'Software