[comp.sys.3b1] assembling with gas

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (05/04/91)

How do I tell the GNU assembler (gas) to assemble 68010 code?
I thought that I knew at one time but I can't get anything to
work now.  I got the binary from OSU and I don't seem to have
any docs.

What I'm wanting to do is see if gas is able to assemble teval.s
from the perl 4.0.0.3 distribution.  eval.c compiled fine but the
tainted version (teval.c) won't (ie. Branch offset too remote)

If you've ever tried to compile perl, you know what I'm talking about.
perl 3.0 pl44 wasn't much problem but 4.0 has got me stumped.

I'm hoping that gas will allow larger branch offsets than the stock
assembler.

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler@texrex.cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.040336.10403@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
> What I'm wanting to do is see if gas is able to assemble teval.s
> from the perl 4.0.0.3 distribution.  eval.c compiled fine but the
> tainted version (teval.c) won't (ie. Branch offset too remote)
>
> If you've ever tried to compile perl, you know what I'm talking about.
> perl 3.0 pl44 wasn't much problem but 4.0 has got me stumped.

I just took a quick look at the man page for as(1).  There is a -j switch
to as(1) that "invokes the long-jump assembler."  This looks like it
should solve your problem with the branch offsets being too long.

I have not tried this, so let us know if it works.

--
Tom Tkacik                |
tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org       |     To rent this space, call 1-800-555-QUIP.

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (05/08/91)

In article <334@kyzyl.mi.org> tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>In article <1991May4.040336.10403@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp writes:
>> What I'm wanting to do is see if gas is able to assemble teval.s
>> from the perl 4.0.0.3 distribution.  eval.c compiled fine but the
>> tainted version (teval.c) won't (ie. Branch offset too remote)

[ I'm trying to compile with gcc but as(1) won't assemble teval.s ]

>I just took a quick look at the man page for as(1).  There is a -j switch
>to as(1) that "invokes the long-jump assembler."  This looks like it
>should solve your problem with the branch offsets being too long.
>
>I have not tried this, so let us know if it works.

I tried it, it doesn't help.

>--
>Tom Tkacik                |
>tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org       |     To rent this space, call 1-800-555-QUIP.
>...!rphroy!kyzyl!tkacik   |

By the way, I did succeed in building perl 4.003 with setuid/setgid emulation
with the stock cc.  Also, I haven't rec'd any info on assembling with gas yet,
so if you're waiting on the other guy to tell me, wait no longer.

--

tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.035216.15851@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp
(Rex Fowler) writes:
|> In article <334@kyzyl.mi.org> tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>
|> [ I'm trying to compile with gcc but as(1) won't assemble teval.s ]

Last night I compiled perl 4.003.  If you read my other message on the subject
you will notice I am having some problems (though different than yours).
(Anybody compile perl with dbm?)

I compiled perl with gcc, except for eval.c (teval.c), and toke.c (ttoke.c).
Gcc ran out of virtual memory, so I fell back on cc for those files.
I did not have a problem with as(1) not being able to assemble any of the
resulting assembler files.  (Note that teval.c was compiled with cc.)  I do not
know why you ran into difficulty.

|> By the way, I did succeed in building perl 4.003 with setuid/setgid
emulation
|> with the stock cc.

What did you do to solve your problem?  Enquiring minds want to know. :-)

--
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (05/09/91)

In article <52765@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:
>In article <1991May8.035216.15851@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp
>(Rex Fowler) writes:
>writes:
>|> [ I'm trying to compile with gcc but as(1) won't assemble teval.s ]
>

>I compiled perl with gcc, except for eval.c (teval.c), and toke.c (ttoke.c).
>Gcc ran out of virtual memory, so I fell back on cc for those files.
>I did not have a problem with as(1) not being able to assemble any of the
>resulting assembler files.  (Note that teval.c was compiled with cc.)  I do not
>know why you ran into difficulty.
>
>|> By the way, I did succeed in building perl 4.003 with setuid/setgid
>emulation
>|> with the stock cc.
>
>What did you do to solve your problem?  Enquiring minds want to know. :-)

Actually I'm not quite sure but I noticed that perly.fixer ran whereas
before it didn't.  It assumed that my machine was an Interactive
UNIX.  I've never went and poked around to see what made it run this time
and not before.  Anyway, it compiled without a hitch.  Optimization was
turned on for ALL files (as was -DDEBUGGING).  The perly.fixer allowed for
dynamic stack allocation in yacc(or something like that, I don't remember what
it said exactly.)