[comp.sys.3b1] Need Help!!

hhuihua%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Huang HuiHuang) (05/08/91)

Hi,

  I just got my UNIX PC. After I reformat the HD, I tried to install
the system and foundation disk into the HD. But I can not find the
C compiler in my HD. Why? There is a disk (Termifo DataBase Disk)
can not be read when I tried to install. Is that a problem?

  Thanks for help and wish everyone have a nice day!!!

  Hui-Huang

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.014028.3086@hellgate.utah.edu>, hhuihua%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Huang HuiHuang) writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I just got my UNIX PC. After I reformat the HD, I tried to install
> the system and foundation disk into the HD. But I can not find the
> C compiler in my HD. Why? There is a disk (Termifo DataBase Disk)
> can not be read when I tried to install. Is that a problem?
>
>   Thanks for help and wish everyone have a nice day!!!
>
>   Hui-Huang

The C compiler is on another set of diskettes called the Development Set,
if you don't have these, I think GCC can be found on the OSU archives.

Also, the terminfo database diskette can be loaded from the INSTALL
admin window under the Update TERMINFO database line. You will need
to load the TERMINFO End User set first.

The Terminfo Database diskette is really just that a database not and
application or utility.

Thanks,

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

gh@s5000.UUCP (Sys Admin) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.014028.3086@hellgate.utah.edu> hhuihua%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Huang HuiHuang) writes:
gh>
gh>Hi,
gh>
gh>  I just got my UNIX PC. After I reformat the HD, I tried to install
gh>the system and foundation disk into the HD. But I can not find the
gh>C compiler in my HD. Why? There is a disk (Termifo DataBase Disk)
gh>can not be read when I tried to install. Is that a problem?
gh>
gh>  Thanks for help and wish everyone have a nice day!!!
gh>
gh>  Hui-Huang

You need the AT&T Development Set Disk's to have a C compiler and Library's
Call AT&T to get them Legally
--
_____________________________________Glen_______________________________________
______________________________Lexington__Oklahoma_______________________________

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.124437.19012@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) writes:
>In article <1991May8.014028.3086@hellgate.utah.edu>, hhuihua%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Huang HuiHuang) writes:

	[ ... ]

>> the system and foundation disk into the HD. But I can not find the
>> C compiler in my HD. Why? There is a disk (Termifo DataBase Disk)
>> can not be read when I tried to install. Is that a problem?

	[ ... ]

>The C compiler is on another set of diskettes called the Development Set,
>if you don't have these, I think GCC can be found on the OSU archives.

	Yes, it can, but it cannot be used by itself.  It depends on the
header files (/usr/include/{*.h,*/*.h}), the librarys, the loader, and the
assembler.  Without these, gcc is of no practical use.  And all of these are
from the Development set.

	[ ... ]

>The Terminfo Database diskette is really just that a database not and
>application or utility.

	And, need not be used at all unless you need one or more of the
terminals described therein rather than being able to use only what the
foundation set installs as a starting point.

	[ ... ]

>   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

	Now, if you could just get your organization to allow unrestricted
copying of things like the development set between unix-pc owners, (Since
AT&T no longer sells the development set, or other support software, and the
number of sets available out here seem to be fewer than the number of
machines.  (I have two development sets, and three machines, but I don't
need to do development on all of the machines.  (It'd be nice to have Make
on the third machine, though.  It's useful for far more than running
compilers.

	Still keeping them running
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564