[comp.sys.3b1] info on upgrades for 3b1/7300?

mps@hawkeye.UUCP (Michael Snyder) (05/06/91)

Well, it only took me 9 months to get my act together and get back on the net.
However, it seems that I lost my info on some upgrades that were being sold for
our trusty little workhorses.

I seem to remember that the posting that I'm looking for is posted about every
six months or so, and included info on the famous "HD2" upgrade (for getting
two of these darling ST-251-1's on my system - don't gasp... the one i have has
worked wonderfully SO FAR :-| ).

Any chance we'll see a repost of this list soon, as i only have 8000 blocks left
and will be looking to improve that SOON?  I am also interested in the extended
diagnostics disk for handling two drives as well.

Look on the bright side... at least I'm not asking "When will someone make a
SCSI controller for these machines?" :-)

Thanks,
Mike Snyder
+-------------------------------------+----------------------+
| THE BEE (author unknown)            | Michael P. Snyder    |
|  She is a busy soul.                | P.O. Box 135         |
|  She has no time for birth control. | Cresco, Iowa  52136  |
|  There are so many "Sons of Bees".  | mps@hawkeye          |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------+

guy@cbnewsc.att.com (guy.r.berentsen) (05/09/91)

In article <291@hawkeye.UUCP>, mps@hawkeye.UUCP (Michael Snyder) writes:

> I seem to remember that the posting that I'm looking for is posted about every
> six months or so, and included info on the famous "HD2" upgrade (for getting
> two of these darling ST-251-1's on my system - don't gasp... the one i have has
> worked wonderfully SO FAR :-| ).

Speaking of drive upgrade, my 5 year old 40 meg just died at work and
I put a Seagate Swift (ST1100) in. (used to be CDC swift)

3.5 inch 1/2 hight with 9 heads 1072 cylinders
15ms ave seek and 150,000 hrs MTBF,
this is a sweet drive for this machine!

Is this drive still made by the same CDC plant only now with a new lable?
(mine had the CDC part number on it.)

Now that I'm getting spoiled at work does anyone happen to know what
the best publicly available price for this drive is?

Anyone ever try mounting two 3.5" hard drives and a 3.5 inch floppy inside the
7300? (160 meg without and expansion box or the bump top!)

mvadh@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.231611.13213@cbnewsc.att.com> guy@cbnewsc.att.com (guy.r.berentsen) writes:
[]
"Anyone ever try mounting two 3.5" hard drives and a 3.5 inch floppy inside the
"7300? (160 meg without and expansion box or the bump top!)

i'm working on it -- 2 st1100s (sideways) & a cms jumbo tape.
you have to mount the hds sideways (one behind the other, facing the
power supply), and you have to install a 3.5" floppy to give them
cable clearance.
i'm powering all this plus the original floppy in an external box from
a 3b1 power supply; the jumbo takes 10w, but the st1100s are only 9
each.
btw, i've plugged in an intel 82064 and *SO*FAR* it's working fine...
i *FINALLY* (thanks, jbm ;) got my hd2 and am about to embark on
installing it.

--
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |