[comp.sys.3b1] Query: Any PD X10 Software?

rlp@cactus.org (Robert Platt) (05/07/91)

Some time ago, I saw some mention of a public domain
package for controlling X10 units from a 3B1.  Whatever
information I had was lost a couple of disk crashes
ago.  Does anyone have any information on this
package?  Has anyone tried using it?  Thanks in
advance.

Bob Platt

P.S.  X10 units are used to control household devices such as
      lights, appliances, etc.  They use household wiring for
      signalling between individual devices and a controller.

--
	Robert L. Platt
CACTUS:	rlp@cactus.org			"Software is easy,

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (05/08/91)

In article <6807@cactus.org> rlp@cactus.org (Robert Platt) writes:
>Some time ago, I saw some mention of a public domain
>package for controlling X10 units from a 3B1.  Whatever
>information I had was lost a couple of disk crashes
>ago.  Does anyone have any information on this
>package?

I think that it's available on system "conexch" (consult the nixpub
listings). (If you can't find it there, let me know, and I'll rummage
through my floppy discs to try to find out where it lives.)

>  Has anyone tried using it?

Yep. It works. (I run things out of crontab, in spite of the program's
author's recommendation against so doing.  It seems the most reliable way
of doing what I want to do.)

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

seeba@nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.222526.9799@blilly.UUCP>, bruce@balilly (Bruce
Lilly) writes:
|> In article <6807@cactus.org> rlp@cactus.org (Robert Platt) writes:
|> >Some time ago, I saw some mention of a public domain
|> >package for controlling X10 units from a 3B1.  ...
|>
|> I think that it's available on system "conexch" (consult the nixpub
|> listings).                             ^^^^^^^               ^^^^^^

I too would be interested in this!

Do we have a complete address for this "conexch" system - and what/where are
the "nixpub" listings?

       Tom Seeba                                  NAS Systems Division
       M/S 258-6                                  HSP Support
       Moffett Field, CA 94035                    seeba@nas.nasa.gov
       415-604-4528

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.211516.18379@nas.nasa.gov> seeba@sun206.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) writes:
>In article <1991May7.222526.9799@blilly.UUCP>, bruce@balilly (Bruce
>Lilly) writes:
>|> I think that it's available on system "conexch" (consult the nixpub
>|> listings).                             ^^^^^^^               ^^^^^^
>
>Do we have a complete address for this "conexch" system - and what/where are
>the "nixpub" listings?

nixpub> >From: nixpub@lgnp1.LS.COM (Nixpub Coordinator)
nixpub> Newsgroups: pubnet.nixpub,comp.misc,alt.bbs
nixpub> Subject: Nixpub Posting
nixpub> Keywords: NIXPUB PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX XENIX LONG
nixpub> Message-ID: <5412@lgnp1.LS.COM>
nixpub> Date: 30 Apr 90 01:01:26 GMT

OK, so this one's a year old. Check your local archives.

nixpub> Followup-To: pubnet.nixpub
nixpub> Organization: Lagniappe Systems [Doylestown PA]
nixpub> Lines: 449
nixpub>
nixpub>
nixpub>                           nixpub long listing
nixpub>      Open Access UNIX (*NIX) Sites [Fee / No Fee] for mapped sites only
nixpub>                            [ April 29, 1990 ]
nixpub>
nixpub> Systems listed (75):
nixpub>  [   agora     alphacm   althea    amazing   anet      bigtex    bucket    ]
nixpub>  [   chinet    cinnet    compnect  conexch   contact   cpro      cruzio    ]
nixpub>  [   dasys1    ddsw1     dhw68k    disk      eklektik  esfenn    gagme     ]
nixpub>  [   gensis    grebyn    i-core    igloo     jack      jdyx      lgnp1     ]
nixpub>  [   loft386   lunapark  m-net     m2xenix   madnix    magpie    marob     ]
nixpub>  [   medsys    ncoast    netcom    nstar     nuchat    nucleas   oldcolo   ]
nixpub>  [   ozdaltx   pallas    pnet01    pnet12    pnet51    point     polari    ]
nixpub>  [   portal    quack     raider    rtmvax    sactoh    sir-alan  sixhub    ]
nixpub>  [   stanton   stb       sugar     telly     tmsoft    tnl       turnkey   ]
nixpub>  [   usource   uuwest    vpnet     wb3ffv    well      wet       wolves    ]
nixpub>  [   world     wybbs     xroads    ziebmef   zorch                         ]
nixpub>
nixpub> Last
nixpub> Contact
nixpub> Date   Telephone #    Sys-name    Location                Baud        Hours
nixpub> -----  ------------   --------    -----------             -------     -----

[ ... ]

nixpub> 05/89  714-842-5851   conexch     Santa Ana           CA  3/12/24  24
nixpub>   386 - SCO Xenix - Free Unix guest login and PC-DOS bbs login, one
nixpub>   hour inital time limit, USENET news, shell access granted on request &
nixpub>   $25/quarter donation.  Anon uucp: ogin: nuucp  NO PASSWD.  List of
nixpub>   available Unix files resides in /usr3/public/FILES.

[ ... ]

nixpub> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
nixpub> NOTE:  ^ means the site is reachable using PC Pursuit.
nixpub> ===========================================================================
nixpub> This list is maintained by Phil Eschallier on lgnp1.  Any additions,
nixpub> deletions, or corrections should be sent to one of the addresses below.
nixpub> The nixpub listings are kept as current as possible.  However, you use this
nixpub> data at your own risk and cost -- all standard disclaimers apply!!!
nixpub> ------
nixpub>       Lists available from lgnp1 via anonomous uucp.
nixpub>                             +1 215 348 9727 [Telebit access]
nixpub>                      login: nuucp  NO PWD   [no rmail permitted]
nixpub>                  this list: /usr/spool/uucppublic/nixpub
nixpub>                 short list: /usr/spool/uucppublic/nixpub.short
nixpub>       or from news groups pubnet.nixpub, comp.misc or alt.bbs.
nixpub> ------
nixpub> E-MAIL ...
nixpub>   uucp: ..!uunet!lgnp1!{ phil | nixpub }
nixpub> domain: { phil | nixpub }@LS.COM
nixpub>    CIS: 71076,1576
nixpub>   COMPAQ, IBM, PC Pursuit, [SCO] XENIX, UNIX, etc. are trademarks of the
nixpub>   respective companies.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM