[comp.sys.3b1] term files for nroff under 3.5 dev. system

david@wmms.UUCP (David R. Mayne) (05/10/91)

How, if possible, do I create my own custom term files for
nroff on the 3b1 under os 3.5, develop 3.5? The compiled
tab* files are in /usr/lib/term under 3.5, but there is no mention
in 3.5 docs, or any clue that I can find on making these files.

On another point: In Gnu groff, is it possible to use dot-matrix
printers with some form of driver for output devices, and will the
current macro packages (mm,mt,man,etc) work with groff ?

Any hints or suggestions would be quite appreciated.

Thanks,

DRM
--
David R. Mayne         1364 Normandy Dr. NE             Atlanta, GA 30306
david@wmms             (404) 876-0943        ...!gatech!bagend!wmms!david

Have you built a waterbar today ?

tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) (05/10/91)

In article <284@wmms.UUCP>, david@wmms.UUCP (David R. Mayne) writes:

|> How, if possible, do I create my own custom term files for
|> nroff on the 3b1 under os 3.5, develop 3.5? The compiled
|> tab* files are in /usr/lib/term under 3.5, but there is no mention
|> in 3.5 docs, or any clue that I can find on making these files.

It was about 4 or 5 years ago that I did this for my UnixPC.  You are right
about there being a lack of documentation on the issue.  But at that time
someone (whose name I do not remember) posted an nroff driver table
compiler.  It worked very nicely.  I wrote a driver for an Epson compatible
printer that included the entire special (and greek) character set.
Bold and italics came out nicely, as did equations.

I also wrote a filter for the printer to compliment the driver table.
I think I still have this stuff on a dusty floppy somewhere.

--
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/11/91)

In article <52935@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:
>In article <284@wmms.UUCP>, david@wmms.UUCP (David R. Mayne) writes:

>|> How, if possible, do I create my own custom term files for
>|> nroff on the 3b1 under os 3.5, develop 3.5? The compiled
>|> tab* files are in /usr/lib/term under 3.5, but there is no mention
>|> in 3.5 docs, or any clue that I can find on making these files.

>It was about 4 or 5 years ago that I did this for my UnixPC.  You are right
>about there being a lack of documentation on the issue.  But at that time
>someone (whose name I do not remember) posted an nroff driver table
>compiler.  It worked very nicely.

I think his name was Townsend, and I believe he was at bnrvpa.  I looked
in the comp.sources.unix index, and a package called "nroff-driver" was
posted in c.s.u volume 13, somewhere around April 1988.  A comp.sources.unix
archive should have it.  It was posted much earlier than that (1984/5 I think),
but I think the 1988 one is the penultimate version.  I tried it at the time
(84-85 timeframe), it worked fine, but I was just getting into translating troff
to HP LJ's, so it wasn't very interesting ;-)

I think it took into account several different nroff table formats.
(Originally, the term's are simply a .c file that contained an initialized
struct of strings, was compiled, and nroff knew how to step over the a.out
header and pick apart the struct.  Some versions of nroff used simpler
formats).
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (05/12/91)

In article <284@wmms.UUCP> david@wmms.UUCP (David R. Mayne) writes:

	[ ... ]

>On another point: In Gnu groff, is it possible to use dot-matrix
>printers with some form of driver for output devices, ...

	The 3b1 comes with some dvi drivers for various dot-matrix printers,
and groff has a post-processor which produces dvi output.  Should work, but
I haven't tested it, since I have a HP Laserjet with a PacificPage
Postscript cartridge,

>                                                 ...  and will the
>current macro packages (mm,mt,man,etc) work with groff ?

	There are replacement macro packages supplied with groff 1.0.  They
are:  man, me mgs (ms replacement), as well a several macro packages for use
with special cases (pic, dvi, postscript, tty output).  I just linked the
tmac.gs file to tmac.s, to allow me to use the -ms command line option.  At
least the tmac.gs package contains warnings not to use it with normal
troff/nroff.  For the other packages, you can use the -C mode (backward
compatablility), if you don't need any of the extra features groff offers.

	Good Luck
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564