[comp.sys.3b1] VT220 as Terminal

BHeess@mcws.fidonet.org (Brian Heess) (06/04/91)

Has anybody setup a real DEC VT220 as a terminal to the 3B/1?

I have been hacking around on it (the 3B/1 manuals haven't been much help,
yet).  Pretty much everything in the 3B/1 manuals is stuff that anybody could
figure out anyway.  I have no manuals for the VT220, as far as I know <GRIN>...

Anyway, if you have, can you let me know what settings you used on the 3B/1,
and the appropriate settings for the VT220 (mainly for the COMM choice off of
the main SETUP screen, and the VT100/VT100 ID settings).

I have both set for 9600, and no HFC on the 3B/1.

I have tried a bunch of settings on the VT220, and so far, no "Welcome to the
AT&T UNIX pc"...

I finally got the VT talking to a modem after changing LOCAL to ON-LINE
(DUH!)... :-)

Any hints GREATFULLY appreciated!

-Brian

--- msged 2.06
 * Origin:  * Huh? (1:102/851)

--
: Brian Heess - via FidoNet node 1:102/851 (818)352-2993
: ARPA/INTERNET: BHeess@mcws.fidonet.org

jetfuel@babbage.csus.edu (Dave Jenks) (06/05/91)

In article <390.284B3B5B@mcws.fidonet.org> BHeess@mcws.fidonet.org (Brian Heess) writes:

>Has anybody setup a real DEC VT220 as a terminal to the 3B/1?
>
>I have been hacking around on it (the 3B/1 manuals haven't been much help,
>yet).  Pretty much everything in the 3B/1 manuals is stuff that anybody could
>figure out anyway.

In the Terminal Emulation User's Guide (v3.51), pp C-3 & C-4, there are two
diagrams for rs232 wiring.  The unix-pc requires a more substantial adherance
to rs232 than many computers - 2, 3, and 7 alone don't make it, folks.

I opted for the second diagram, as the shell is killed when turning the tty
off (SIGHUP).

>Anyway, if you have, can you let me know what settings you used on the 3B/1,
>and the appropriate settings for the VT220 (mainly for the COMM choice off of
>the main SETUP screen, and the VT100/VT100 ID settings).

On the 3b1 side, my "stty -a" looks like this:

speed 9600 baud; line = 0; intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = DEL; kill = ^x; eof = ^d; eol = ^`
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon ixany -ixoff
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

Compare this to your normal console "stty -a".

>I have both set for 9600, and no HFC on the 3B/1.
>
>I have tried a bunch of settings on the VT220, and so far, no "Welcome to the
>AT&T UNIX pc"...

For the vt220/vt320 (I have used both, and set them identically, and used the
same cable):

    Display menu:
	Interpret Controls
    General menu:
	VT200 Mode, 7 Bit Controls
	VT220 ID (if your firmware has this option)
	No New Line
    Communications menu:
	Transmit=9600
	Receive=Transmit
	XOFF at 64
	8 Bits, No Parity
	1 Stop Bit
	No Local Echo
	DEC-423, Modem Control (vt320 - does the 220 have this?)
	Unlimited Transmit
	No Auto Answerback
    Keyboard menu:
	Break (does this matter?)
	<X] Delete (I don't recall if the 220 has this - it just selects the
		    ASCII code sent by the delete key - DEL or ^H - I use DEL
		    because the systems I dial out to expect that)

From the Set-Up Directory, I recommend doing a "Clear Comm" after each change,
since the tty can get into a weird state otherwise.
I suspect the reason you don't even get garbage (that is true, isn't it?) is
that your cable is incomplete.

>I finally got the VT talking to a modem after changing LOCAL to ON-LINE

That helps, I've found.

>Any hints GREATFULLY appreciated!

This is about all I can offer - "It worked for me."

--Dave
	    "Pro is to con, as progress is to Congress..."