[comp.sys.3b1] Better tty hardware?

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun2.231810.7514@ingres.Ingres.COM>,
rog@ingres.com (Roger Taranto) writes:
> In article <1991May29.224256.24529@ceilidh.beartrack.com>
> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
> >In article <1789@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.westmark.com writes:
> >>I suspect that a 3b1 can send faster than it can receive.
> >
> >	That, I believe, has been the general concensus of the discussion.
>
> That seems to make sense.  It seems to me that terminal drivers and
> interrupt routines were designed to be able to send lots of data, but
> receive comparatively low amounts.  (How many users do you know who
> can type at 19200 bps?)
>
> We have a microvax II . . .
> With nothing else going on and just one UUCP connection
> (incoming), the CPU is pegged at ~93-95% trying to handle the single
> character interrupts for that uucico process.
>
> -Roger
> {mtxinu,pacbell,amdahl,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!rog		rog@ingres.com

A couple of years ago, I remember seeing some kind of discussion
about producing a serial board that could buffer several characters,
so that there was no longer one interrupt per character.
This would allow for a driver that could collect several characters
at a time.
Unfortunatly, I think this was in relationship to 286/386 machines,
but if the interrupt handling is our preformance problem,
perhaps such a thing could be added to the Mondo Combo board
(How IS that coming, by the way?)
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak (maybe)