[comp.sys.3b1] Sockets?

jlowrey@skat.usc.edu (John 'Fritz' Lowrey) (06/11/91)

A quick question to my fellow travelers,
	Does the Unix PC operating system support the 'sockets' inter-process
communication facility?  I understand that this is primarily a feature of BSD
unix, but our little OS is a bit of a mutt |-}.
	I ask because I would like to try to implement the FSF 'screen'
utilities which anticipate these capabilities.  BTW: I am running 3.51m on a
7300 if it makes any difference.

						Later,
						Fritz (jlowrey@skat.usc.edu)

--
                                        J. "Fritz" Lowrey
Transcend the Bullshit                  USC Computer Consulting

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (06/14/91)

In article <33506@usc.edu> jlowrey@skat.usc.edu (John 'Fritz' Lowrey) writes:
>	Does the Unix PC operating system support the 'sockets' inter-process
>communication facility?

The WIN/3B ``Enhanced'' TCP/IP software for the 3B1 has emulation for the
BSD 4.2 socket IPC.
--
	Bruce Lilly		bruce%balilly@Broadcast.Sony.COM

murphyn@motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) (06/14/91)

jlowrey@skat.usc.edu (John 'Fritz' Lowrey) writes:

>A quick question to my fellow travelers,
>	Does the Unix PC operating system support the 'sockets' inter-process
>communication facility?  I understand that this is primarily a feature of BSD
>unix, but our little OS is a bit of a mutt |-}.

The Unix PC supports SysV IPCF (It uses message queues, as opposed to sockets.)

If you look hard and long enough, I believe you can find a socket implementation
for the Unix PC, though.

NPN